[Theory][Opinion] Windows 10 will soon block non-Store apps

For your hardware and the software on it to be reliable without having to spend have of the planet´s capital on QA testing you have to lock ppl in your environment. MS will have to compete with Apple on that front. Hardware and software lock in is what allows to have reliable devices without going bankrupt.

If Microsoft said, fuck everyone. you want Windows? gotta buy our crap.. MS's stocks will drop to the toilet bowl.

3 Likes

Am I missing something? Isn't this what drivers and things like DirectX are for? To allow different hardware to communicate with the software without having to make software for each different permutation?

Well. MS is already selling it own devices and laptops with the guarantee of support and reliability. It has also issued a program with MS approved 3rd party devices with more guaranteed reliability. They are already declaring that ¨Not all devices sold with windows are created equal¨. I do not see the stock having an issue with that.

And that's a good thing. we have more options. Google allows OEMS to sell Android with their hardware. but if you want all the security features and all the goods and constant updates you can buy it from them Via a Nexus device or a Pixel..

Microsoft actually has an upper hand compared to Google cause all updates come from them. People like Samsung, or ASUS or LG, you want updates and security you have to go through them instead of Google. and chances are they won't do it cause then no one will buy their new phones..

DirectX is only for GPU interfacing. It is just an API. But each GPU running on WIn has its own different driver software running underneath the API.

Every hardware device needs it own drivers included on the OS for it to work. Less hardware choices less time and money needs to be spent on driver development. To limited the hardware choices you need a way to lock users in fews choices and that is also done by locking user within your own curated software environment.

These drivers aren't made by Microsoft (apart from generic drivers or DX) They are made by the hardware manufacturer. So Microsoft has very little to do with the process.

That is the point. MS is trying to become a hardware manufacturer as well. Which is actually a logical decision since the OS market is not giving much revenue.

Also, MS lives of the 'open-nes' of windows. Which I know sounds strange compared to actual open source OSs. But if you ask the average Joe on the street what a 'computer' is. They will probably describe a windows machine. MS wouldn't stay in business if they made it impossible to install whatever software you want or all the hardware was really expensive. Why would they get rid of pretty much the only advantage they have over Linux, the fact that everyone knows what windows is, and how to use it?

Maybe people are concerned because MS has never implemented genuine security features before, so it is rather suspect. :-)

As @Kat said, I see no issue with MS releasing their own hardware. Maybe they will be a premium option like Apple is, but locking out other manufacturers would be cutting off their head to spike their face, not just their nose.

Also, I still don't see what this has to do with OP

MS will do what make more business sense. If they are abandoning the pure software market they would not really care to sacrifice the universality and the ¨openess¨ if the platform.

It would not be impossible. It would be inconvenient and less reliable through ¨neglect¨.

I said it 3 times. To make premium hardware reliable enough to sell it as premium without going bankrupt (assuming traditional development) you need to limited it to your own curated software platform -> the UWP.

But they aren't limiting Windows to the UWP, they are giving you an option to lock out other software. An option that is off by default. They are giving more choice to the consumer.

If that changes, and you need to jump through hoops to not use the UWP, they I will agree with you 100%, but until then, I don't see the issue.

Ok...sure...Just allow me to be suspicious of MS judging by how they are handling things on Win 10 until now.

no. Microsoft will go under if they stopped you from installing software that was available somewhere. it's not that it isn't not impossible, it would be a obscenely stupid move on their part. which is why when Microsoft does dumb things, that are obscenely dumb, like for example Xbox one, the camera dependency feature, the games and the price. people flip out, and they say yeah sorry we dun fucked up here's all the goodies sorry.

Also this was why this thread was click-bait from the very beginning and why I said, why is this a problem??

Straight from the article, you posted sir.. if your parents or grandparents have a Windows 10 PC? simple.. turn it on. you since you know what you are doing? leave it alone...

1 Like

Yeah, I mean... Microsoft would never force you to do something, right? Like upgrading to windows 10 .... or sending "telemetry" back to them .... or using cuntana ...

They would never do that, right? .... right?

Yeah, ... right.

1 Like

This

1 Like

I neither condone nor agree with how MS has managed or designed win10. It's pretty terrible. But that still doesn't mean you should lynch them for something they haven't done yet. If/when they do, I will have my pitchfork sharp and ready. But until then, I will just watch cautiously.

Time to open my IT Helpdesk...
WHY does this even have to exist? What issue is Microshit trying to fix here?