THEkitchenSINK one year using deepin linux

https://www.deepin.org/en/
DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20190827102441
hello Im SINK i jumped on linux last year in august after windows updated and removed my ability to use virtual audio cables on any version but enterprise.

so my journey began.
i started by testing deepin on my razer blade stealth late 2017 with a razer core v1.

the install of deepin was a minor headache mainly getting a usb to boot (bad usb drives found out later) once in the deepin installer it was a beaut Deepin DE or DDE is wonderful everything at the tips of ur fingers the new user experience put me in awe the system was smooth and sense its a based on debian had alot of no work software installs. could download a deb file and just install would bring up a gui installer that checks dependencies and incompatible software before installing. this has helped tons with finding missing depenacies for things that required a tiny bit of work.

deepin has 2 guis in its de one is more mac os aimed one is windows aimed.
the deepin store is actually a selling point for the new user compared to the ubuntu software center.

ubuntu may have the software you are looking for but also software that is YEARS out of date broken with newer virsions of ubuntu and just bloat and malware. ubuntu does nothing really to fix these issues.

oh the other hand deepin has the exact reverse software is uptodate and if the software is a version or 2 behind there is ways to notify deepin to update the software. everything in the deepin store WORKS on deepin and they also support flatpaks of their software which is nice if you installed dde on a non-deb linux distro but thats a minor issue.

after a while using deepin i needed to update my nvidia drivers and that was seemless and didnt require cli i opened the graphics driver util that comes with deepin hit the default drivers which uninstall the drivers prior and then the updated drivers no hassle.
during this same time i got the rgb lighting to work on my rbs w/o needing a log in cause razer wants ur data.
open razer is a great product one i actually donate to because its wonderful.
open razer is a daemon and pyusb.
https://openrazer.github.io/

then getting logitechs rgb controls for the g213 was a bit less straight forward but there was already some projects for this g213 colours was the best option that i could figure out https://github.com/SebiTimeWaster/G213Colors

after all of this ive been updating the forum on deepin releases and dde and using deepin as my only os for now over a year

the ui the first time user experince is honestly a great selling point. deepin is what i would recommend on a new linux users computer over ubuntu now.

ive used ubuntu and centos in the past but mainly on blade servers and mostly headless so i never used linux as my personal machine for long term till now.

i do some gaming which is mainly runescape and that was the only game i needed to use command line to get working. i have created a debian install script for runescape now which when a updated breaks runescape i can quickly fix it.

in my linux year ive learned alot i started using vim over nano but still fall back to nano cause im comfy with it. and ive gotten into security with ppc linux and power ive learned more about how processors work with code and how to change how a processor uses that code. im enjoying my deepin experience and hope to see more deepin users as time goes bye

sink

8 Likes

Dank.

You’re not allowed to skin Windows 10 and call it Linux. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah but windows has been stealing from ubuntu and gnome for YEARS

1 Like

Yeah, I know. I’m just trolling.

1 Like

Hurr.

just like the line used by micro soft with the apple lawsuit
“rich neighbor named xerox, i was going to break in a steal his tv, but you beat me too it”

2 Likes

stop being a badge whore :joy:

also china

:joy:

Okay im just trollin… good job

1 Like

Nice post. I’m gonna give Deepin a try as well, with my Razer Stealth 2020. Had some issues with Ubuntu, let’s see how this goes.

1 Like