The YouTube server phenomenon

Hello!

I am new to the enterprise space when it comes to servers, but I would like to believe that I am quite handy when it comes to the home environment.

My question to the comunity is as following:
Isn’t something like Linus Tech Tips Petabyte project stupid for a small business?

To my knowledge something like a fast single server with a bunch of disk shelves is easier to maintain and a hell of a lot easier to upgrade. The clustering of storage feels like a last case scenario to my knowledge.
And the cost of the hardware and rackspace can’t be worth the performance of clustering if there even is any.

I would love to see if you can change my mind!

Yes.
There is a reason why Steve “Tech Jesus” of Gamers Nexus chose our beloved overlord, Wendell - he is overall, more sane.

There is no real need to change your mind.

6 Likes

No, if you own several dozen RED cameras and shoot at 8K and archive everything.

Yes, if all you store is what you store on a typical NAS.

3 Likes

Rather than what LTT does for themselves, I would check out what LTT does for others in the NAS space or what L1T did for Gamers Nexus. What ever LTT does for themselves is usually over the top or has some level ridiculousness they are willing to maintain themselves because they are the ones fronting that responsibility.

4 Likes

They are trying to create a workshop where people can drop in to work on projects, but currently it’s closed to the public and only for LMG employees. So yeah, still kinda selfish at this current point, because they seriously need to open up that workshop to all.

If your storage needs are stupid large like what LTT has, then Gluster makes sense.

If you only need up to 200TB, there are other solutions.

If you need 1PB, you’ll be taking up a hell of a lot more rackspace with disk shelves as opposed to storinators.

Really depends on how much rack space you have and what the cost of it would be.

2 Likes

I think the real question is why is anyone shooting at 8k? Absolutely no reason for something that ridiculous when the highest anyone will be watching at is 4K. And even then, 4K for Linus to act like a goofball and set shit on fire?

No they don’t. If for a fee, maybe, but they would need to work out the logistics of that first.

2 Likes

Did you forget the people freaking out about the “4k” bluerays that were actually upscaled because the movies where shot in a lower resolution? That is why you shoot in 8k, so people can watch it in ten years at a higher quality.

For LTT, I don’t see a point to 8k for most videos, but for other things, 8k can be useful depending on what you want to do with the footage.

4 Likes

_hill
I think the real question is why is anyone shooting at 8k? Absolutely no reason for something that ridiculous when the highest anyone will be watching at is 4K. And even then, 4K for Linus to act like a goofball and set shit on fire?

At the moment 8K is all about the post production. Shooting in 8K you can zoom in or crop footage etc and then output at 4K without sacrificing any quality loss.

5 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is LTT does stuff for the “coolness” factor. They often make a project harder and more complicated then it needs to be simply because they are making content. For example they custom built a server case from scratch for their new Mindcraft server. This was completely unnecessary, you can buy a normal rack mount case on Newegg for a few hundred bucks but instead they spend time and man hours and worked with another company to custom design and build a case from scratch.

1 Like

The argument, I think, is that they can zoom like crazy with no quality degradation.

Also epeen.

When I get into video shit, I’m gonna be shooting 4k, but probably uploading 1080.

2 Likes

They also shoot 8K to downsample. Remember that the photosites aren’t grains of physical pickups, but square pixels. People in the film industry are crazy about 8K because it’s getting close to emulating the resolution of film.

IMAX is a different story though.

The 45-Drive system LTT has been using as NAS is a more entry level version of something like the Supermicro SuperStorage 6049P-E1CR60H (60 SAS3/Sata3 Hotswap bays).

I would think that a cluster solution of many smaller servers Supermicro SuperStorage 5019D8-TR12P style 12 drives in 1U would be better in a “business depends on it” situation, but that may be me fanboying systems like BeeGFS.

1 Like

Yeah, but the point is that we don’t need all that quality if it’s just going to be delivered on a 1080p stream that’s compressed down to low quality.

IDk if FP is different from youtube tho.

1 Like

I’m not sure how 12x4 is better than 60x1, unless you’re looking for smaller shards for HA purposes.

The wider spread your files, the more systems can fail before operation halts.
Guessing here though.

Theres a difference betwoon a small computer shop and a production house. Yes, if I were to open a small repair store it’d be rather stupid to have a petabyte. In that same vein, it’d be stupid to have a bunch of offices in one space and not have that much space available (say for a complex).

As well, you have to take into account that they needed something extremely specific for a very odd issue.

High resolution has the convenience that the editor can quite easily make a crop / zoom without noticeable loss of quality and center the fragment that was not significantly captured by the operator.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that Linus has teased that he’s been planning a 1PB system in a 4U single node system…