The YouTube server phenomenon

InB4 whole server closet room cooling?

Oh, too late

1 Like

Yeah, he is now that density has increased.

If those 60TB ssds they had at CES about 4-5 years ago had been released and then mass produced… 1PB would be more common and easier than ever.

1 Like

I like the 5U 70HDD DAS solution…
ezgif-6-9cc0c2ad91b8

4 Likes

I didn’t get why each arm doesn’t “face” towards centre.
I guess it is so if a drive is in, it must be all the way in, can’t have a drive with handle open, else it’ll stop the arm sliding back in?

You must ask HPE engineers about this. :wink:

And here the way they decided to put 2TB RAM in a 4U server…
ezgif-6-a19230012e77

4 Likes

MPH? with M Hjorth?

I’d be happy to build a crazy storage server if Seagate or WD would donate several thousand dollars worth of drives.

4 Likes

massive legal liability issues with a workshop like that.

1 Like

Yeah.

They probably also don’t want to be mobbed by 20k people when the damn thing opens.

In the sates, they have hackerspaces kinda like what they’re building, and you just sign a waiver basically saying “I will not hold the owners liable for my stupidity. If I don’t know how to properly operate equipment, I will ask for assistance. I will be responsible for any broken equipment.” I’d imagine they want to have that written up in lawyer-speak tho.

1 Like

The ones I knew of in the US (TechShop) have shut down. The business model is unsustainable. Some hackerspaces have a decent amount of shop gear, but those are generally only in large cities.

Yeah, from what I saw, the ones that were sustainable were basically managed by a company.

even for post you don’t build a single storage server, you need high bandwidth storage, network & backups. how LTT runs their entire post pipeline isn’t anywhere near pro.

3 Likes

My local hackerspace certifies you on each “big” device. You may not use it without getting vetted.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.