The woes of the imac pro

I dunno where to put this because theres no “Making Fun Of Apple” area, so this will do until one of the mods gets triggered.

So we all know of Linus’s incident with is overpriced 850 dollar computer, right? Smashed the screen, blah blah. Yeah. So now I’m seeing Snazzy Labs, probably the most techy apple youtuber, having problems…

Between apple not being able to actually service parts out of an iMac Pro, the above problems with SL, and I’ve heard some things about ram just… disappearing out of iMac Pro’s getting serviced… I mean what the hell apple.

Seriously. What the hell.

If you’re looking at an imac pro, stop, get a Mac Pro 5,1, get some X5650’s, all the ram in the world, and live your life. Don’t bother with this garbage.

4 Likes

Amen.

3 Likes

Agreed.

They are writing pro on anything these days. It is the apple equivalent to “gaming”.
It’s an imac. Nothing more. Do not expect more. And don’t ever buy one.

1 Like

The old mac pro’s are cheap, easy to upgrade, and you can get 8 or 12 cores (maybe 16) for almost no cash. And I’m poor as fuck saying that you can get them for nearly nothing.

Exactly.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a powerful system, but I would never buy one, because why the fuck would I pay literally triple the price for the hardware when I can buy the parts myself.

I’d never buy a mac product. NEVER
I feel like I am getting blocked in! and if something breaks they shake more money out of you!

If you know how they work, they are waaaay more powerful than people give them credit for. Mac Pro’s specifically are stupid cheap and fucking everywhere.

1 Like

Im just talking about the newers ones, which i should of stated. rip,
but I do like the older mac pros, because of the tower configurations etc. which I find really nice.

Older Macs (in general) are definitely sound purchases if you neeed something running OSX. Parts are reasonably easy to get ahold of, let alone easier to service.

Without even considering the QC and customer support aspect of Apple getting questionable, I typically have no interest in buying an expensive pre-built computer that is a giant PITA to take apart…

Just saw a news article the said Apple will being selling refurbished iMac Pro’s for a 15% discount. Still too expensive tho.

1 Like

I know when a famous YouTube’er gets a bad experience the world hears about it, but honestly, I think you would expect this from a Dell or HP all in one as well.

The parts are specific, and made for the design. So it’s going to cost more to repair outside of warranty. You can find Apple certified people (Geek Squad, Microcenter, yourself) to do it for cheaper than Apple, as the case with Dell and HP.

Apple as a whole isn’t the worst thing in the world. Their laptops are still the best of all the worlds in my experience. Battery, software compatibility, Unix shell and functions, etc.

As with most of these cases, my experience doesn’t align with the hub bub and hoopla :man_shrugging:

Doesn’t mean Linus and above are wrong, just odd that one bad experience and these people go full on assault. There are bad apples everywhere, doesn’t mean everyone in the industry is shite.

1 Like

Did you watch the above video though? He wasn’t outside of warranty, and the apple store was the only place with the parts.

6 Likes

It’s not about Apple not honoring warranty or anything, but that they flat out refused to accept payment for the repair.

Also, it’s two instances of this so far.

2 Likes

The video didn’t show up earlier. Weird. I’ll watch it now.

Regardless, some of the comments in the OP and in the thread are outside the scope of Apple refusing to repair said workstation. I was addressing those as well as what I thought the OP was about (Linus).

2 Likes

Yeah, and while it does suck, only 1/3 of his complaint was valid in my opinion. A crappy part that broke twice in less than six months is pretty bad. But, that’s not unique to Apple’s iMac Pro. I guess he wanted them to be held at a higher standard, but you would think people would know by now lol.

Crappy phone and in store support, that’s everywhere. Had he bothered to take the computer back and complain about it he probably could have gotten a brand new computer, but instead he wanted to make a video about it.

I get it, he’s doing a review, I don’t fault him for the video (he could have done both?). But he admits to not going back to the store when he could have.

Overall, it sucks that he got such a crappy part twice, and it sucks that the people at his store had no idea what they were doing. But that’s not all of Apple, all of Apple techs, and, based on the reviews of the VESA mount on their website, not all of the parts either.

He had one bad experience and it’s everyone at Apple that’s terrible? Eh…

Anyway, just my opinion on the matter. It’s a crappy situation to be in.

I understand the complaint, but jeez, just go buy some screws yourself. That part should not be $80, especially considering it’s almost certainly manufactured in China. Maybe $50 US-made.

IMO he went to the wrong place to get something like this fixed, I doubt anyone at that store even knows what a thread pitch is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

At 5000 USD you would expect it by now. Though I did wonder why he didn’t just go and get stainless steel bolts from a hardware store.

3 Likes

He’s also a master of hackintosh. One way or another he’ll get apple to pay the 5500 USD warranty he has on the thing and he’ll return it and build his own.

Exactly. If you’re spending the same amount that you can on a car for a PC, you expect not only good parts, but in the event that something fails, you expect halfway decent support structure.

1 Like

Oh I fully believe that Apple is culpable, just not capable.

1 Like