The woes of the imac pro

I don’t know man, how many $25k, $30k, $50k vehicles breakdown after the first 10,000 miles? A handful, from my experience.

I think the computer worked fine, and he tried modding it which is where things got hairy. I completely understand he did so with Apple branded and Apple certified parts, just following his video the way I saw it.

He got burned, and didn’t seek to get compensated. Not much else to say imo. :man_shrugging:

Been saying it since 2009: Don’t buy an AiO computer.

Took 3 eMac computers a long time ago for a friend to be convinced of that. Then another friend who doesn’t know anything about computers but kept buying them, Luckly he got the idea pretty quick not to buy more when he wanted me to fix one and I told him I was probably going to need it for a week because working on it entailed not breaking a monitor while working on it.

This is one of those things where it’s even hard for me to buy a laptop because everything is contained.

However, it’s not nearly as bad as this.

I’ve used Apple Macs almost daily since 2007 until last month where I got rid of 'em.

Last real ‘pro’ product I bought was the 2013 Mac Pro, after 6 months the D700 GPUs started flaking out. Took me a month to convince Apple Geniuses of the problem and ended up with a new one as more than the GPUs were on the way out. Immediately sold and bought a new fully loaded MacBook Pro.

Generally upgraded every year (due to Apple resale it didn’t cost much to do so) but the latest MacBook Pro was the final straw with the dire support and crappy keyboard - I had no issues with the notebooks until this revision.

How Apple can expect a professional workstation to be supported the same way as a MacBook Air is appalling. Having to haul the thing to the Apple store then losing it for days/weeks is not how professionals expect to be treated or can afford to be.

The fact its been out for 6 months and they still can’t properly support it is even more amazing. Then to return it to Quinn with the stand in that condition, just wow. I would have just demanded a new/refurbed one and then sold it for something decent - Precision / Z Workstation where you get next-day on-site support!

2 Likes

His complains seem completely legit to me.
Doesn’t matter if other companies are the same or even worse.
Doesn’t matter if he could fix it differently.

It is a product targeting pro-customers with a price-tag accordingly.

He made this video because he is in a position to make a video like this that will be seen.
He didn’t make the video for the clicks, he made it because of them.

The product failed.
The service failed.
This was his best shot.
And it worked.

1 Like

I just want to say that 60% of the arguments on this thread are kind of pointless.

This IS a professional product, and while yes it is obviously over priced, its not nearly as overpriced as you might think. And honestly the argument is dumb because if you are a professional and use your computer darn near 24/7 then dealing with windows forced updates and other idiosyncrasies is a non start.

I have a completely different outlook on the situation. I am looking at this situation as a probable future owner of the new mac pro (or if I am really lucky a new mac mini) that will hopefully be coming out in 2019. It truly scares me that the infrastructure to support these machines is MIA.

Just totally MIA.

What apple shops do and don’t do for repairs is irrelevant. A multi billion dollar tech super power did not have proper support at launch. Thats stupid, plain and simple.

3 Likes

To be honest Being a Pro that Use Mac’s apple is not any better. Apple has killed the ability to install or use final cut pro 7 on High Siera so all our legacy projects can not be opened on two of our machines because Apple had only said their would be compatibility issues with FCP7 and HS not that it would DELETE the software and prevent you from reinstalling it.

I have never had a windows update that refused to let me install software of my choosing.

Along with this Apple in an attempt at making a security fix broke the ability for users to use certain Video breakout devices unless you went in to Kernel and edited out specific security extensions to unblock the necessary services central to video over thunderbolt.

To be honest at this day and age the only reason to use OSX based machines is if you can not get the software on a Windows based system or you are so embedded in the IOS ecosystem that you have to be able to use I tunes in the one environment that its only mediocre.

I have a macbook pro I use for day trading, so I am in a totally different professional camp so to speak.

I have been in trades on my windows machine and windows decided to do an update. THANK GOD I noticed my data feed was slowing down (because windows was downloading and installing updates) and I was able to exit the trade before anything bad happened.

If I hadn’t caught the issue in time, the roboot would have cleared my stop losses and profit targets and I would have been holding a futures contract. If the market went against me, I would have lost my whole account and a good chunk of my life savings.

And yes, I have turned all the windows shit off, and it STILL doesn’t fly right.

It also gets back to support. If my laptop were to spaz out, I could take it to the mac store and probably be back up and running by the end of the day one way or another.

@Tjj226_Angel @Thanatopsis

I’ll uh, I’ll just be here in void linux.

look OS’s are like work benches use the one that lets you do what you need but from my perspective using OSX, Linux, and Windows all have their problems and the Apple “superior” support claim has always left me scratching my head as I have been able to get equally good repair times on anything I could not do myself from Reputable brands Like Dell enterprise or Lenovo.

I’ll be honest, apple support is ass. But at some point I was trying to use imessage and found a bug, reported it, and ended up somewhere in the engineering section in california with Dusty First. Any time I have an apple problem I have a direct line to him to ask something or report a bug. THAT is support, actual engineers, not some kid who has to scramble through 8 manuals.

1 Like

I can read manuals myself. If that fixed the problem, I would not have called/writen in.

1 Like

No I mean like in company tech manuals for the kid they just hired 2-3 months ago that really only knows how emoji’s work on his phone.

How can something be “professional” if I don´t get all the documentation for it?

Bruh, you don’t get all the documentation for anything anymore. Not since the 80’s early 90’s. Most you got is manpages.

What are you on about?

1 Like

Businesses here do not buy equipment when the seller can´t provide the documentation (spec sheets, manuals, setup guides, etc).

The only market where it is acceptable to not provide any documents is computer hardware and software, for some bizarr reason.

B-but with apple

~~It jUSt WorKSssSSSs~

I’ve lost count of how many times I have had to RMA or exchange PC hardware, completely reinstall Windows or Linux because something obscure happened, unplug and plug back in a device over and over hoping it magically decides to work the next time, glue plastic bits back together, completely strip down a machine to clean out the unspeakable buildup of dust, painstakingly recover data from a failed disk, re-seat loose RAM/GPU/jumpers/etc, replace laptop keyboards, hinges, LCDs, ports, don’t forget about peeling off Windows badges and marketing stickers, uninstalling preloaded crapware, updating bios and firmware, combing through user manuals to find part numbers to download the correct drivers, uninstalling the incorrect drivers because vendor a has different drivers than vendor b and the ones from the manufacturer don’t work, etc etc etc

Uhhh, you can use 3DP chip and never worry about windows drivers ever again. Fer one. Thats like the only windows tip I even know. Works all the way back to 95 as long as theres a net connection.

Also, yeah. My MP 3,1 has so far been superior to my lenovo desktop in almost every way even though its slightly slower in the single core.

Just taking a quick peek at https://forum.level1techs.com/c/hardware

Trouble installing win10 on x470
Help with troubleshooting boot loop / failure to post issue
I have some Gremlins, it appears to be the storage, Sandy Bridge  
I don’t know what’s going on and I need a hug
My wd hdd has relocated sectors and i need help
Asus B150 Pro gaming Aura Bios Blackscreen
Guys I need help, Nvidia 960 gtx fans in Linux, driving me insane
ThreadRipper 1950x OC => Windows sleep bug
Troubleshooting a new PC build
New Ryzen 2700x + Gigabyte X470 Aorus gaming 7 build unstable on Linux
Help with Lenovo T440s Battery Charging Problem
Displayport/KVM Blues
Theoretic: StoreMi SSD failure corrupts all data
PSU sparks
Z170 pro gaming arua lentency problems
Computer Hard Reset while Gaming
Input Laptop Overheating Issue
Phone doesn’t connect over USB 3.0 ports
Any chance of easy way to repair a dead SSD
Can’t finde Firmware for LSI 1068E(C0) (Orcale Sun F20)
Two Defective processors from retail?
When CPU Load is above 70% computer beeps sometimes shutsdown randomly

I don’t want to get carried away and post too many here, but check that category out. Good reads. It’s a reminder that nothing is perfect. Keep scrolling on that page for a while. :slight_smile:

As far as Apple not being equipped to repair the iMac Pro, that does not seem to be the case. However, they may prefer to dedicate repair resources to regular services covered under warranty and refuse to service hardware that has been tampered with.

However, Apple’s internal iMac Pro Service Readiness Guide obtained by MacRumors states that ATLAS online training and learning resources for servicing the iMac Pro have been available in English since December. We also spoke to multiple sources who completed the course and received certification months ago.

The guide adds that iMac Pro service parts availability began in early to mid January, with replacement logic boards, flash storage, and memory available by late February. Multiple sources at Apple Authorized Service Providers also confirmed that iMac Pro displays are available with two-week-or-less delivery estimates.

MacRumors contacted a reliable source who confirmed that Apple Authorized Service Providers are permitted to deny service for any product that has been opened or modified by a customer, regardless of warranty, both for safety reasons and to avoid responsibility if the machine cannot be fixed.

(related link from the cited article): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206048