The Tek Live From Seattle... Finally | Tek Syndicate

The only gripe I have about living near Seattle is that people drive like idiots here. Also dont live in seattle directly, try Kent or Federal Way. or maybe even Gig harbor or the outlying areas of Puyallup.

1 Like

I do appreciate your site and have been following you since the original Tigerdirect days back in 2006 and on. Also, although I would not switch, you have caused me to have a renewed interest in using Linux again on a hardware build. (Usually run it virtual though and I do prefer Windows for the work I do.)

This said, sometimes, for me, what seems to me to be the obvious bias against Microsoft can be a bit annoying. For instance, I read the article you where commenting on at Yahoo Tech and what you where claiming and what the article said where two different things.

Also, although Linux does have it's place, taking over the world is not happening. The claim that proprietary OSes are basically spy havens and that Open Source does not have that problem is naive at best. (At least that is the way I am seeing it.) That said, keep going but be a bit less biased if possible, it is more enjoyable that way.

1 Like

I live in Tacoma. I can go to Seattle when I want, have less crime and a WAY cheaper home. I piad $142,000 for a 4 bedroom 1.75 bath home with 2200 SqFt. Find that in Seattle, nope not happening.

That guy bought a home in the middle of no where. I feel for him as he did check before closing on the house, but it was in the middle of no where.

@Logan have you considered Austin there are multiple companies selling Gigabit Internet there?

But then he'd be introduced to Canada's ISP oligopoly(Shaw, Bell, Videotron, and Cogeco) and our useless CRTC.

I cannot imagine living anywhere but in the city. Unless Seattle is dramatically different from New York, Chicago, DC, Boston, or San Francisco, the city itself is the only way to go. Most suburbs are wastelands. There are nothing but chain restaurants and uneducated people. Living in the city is more expensive, but you can just get a smaller place. I have spent the last 20 years in NYC, Chicago, Taipei and Dublin (Ireland), and I can really stress that in Chicago and NYC, the suburbs are absolutely dreadful. Do you really want to get in your car to grab a sandwich? Even worse, the sandwich is from Subway!!! Furthermore, what if no decent place delivers to your house? Check grubhub and seamless and make sure that the best restaurants deliver to your area. So many suburbs it is Fridays, Outback,..., just garbage. From what I have seen, all of the good restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Seattle are in the city. Live near them and drive your car less. It is a far better life to put 5,000 miles a year on your car and go out every night than to sit in traffic in the suburbs, out 10,000 miles on your car a year, and never go out because anywhere cool is an hour's drive. Rural areas are great, but suburbs are for tools and weirdos. Live in the city or live in the woods, but avoid anything in between.

Why move to the Seattle area? Because it is kind of awesome. I live in a town with fiber to every home, I have access to so many tech and game companies that I can't count them all. Out here he can get interveiws and access to things that no one gets to play with, other than Silicon Valley, and you can't pay me to live in Cali. Also he is like 2.5 hours from Linus tech tips in Canada.

Seattle and the surrounding areas are very differnt from all the places you listed. I have lived in and around many of the smae places. Seattle is unique to say the least.