The Tek 0245: Replace All the Humans! | Tek Syndicate

Thanks to Squarespace. If you need a website, check them out. We use them for our store. Use coupon code "teksyndicate":

https://teksyndicate.com/squarespace

Get over to the store!

Epic Pants

Links:

Uber’s first self-driving cars will start picking up passengers this month | TechCrunch
 'We're just rentals': Uber drivers ask where they fit in a self-driving future | Technology | The Guardian
 Airbus wants to make autonomous flying taxis by this time next year
 Mercedes-Maybach concept is a look at the future of luxury cars
 Breakthrough Treatment With Lab-Grown Corneas Cures Blindness in Sheep - Good News Network
 Comcast will offer $70 gigabit Internet in Chicago after all [Updated] | Ars Technica
 The NSA Leak Is Real, Snowden Documents Confirm
 UK Court: ISPs have to block *trademark* infringements in addition to copyright infringements | Privacy Online News
 Court rules that ISPs do not need to give up information on alleged pirates, copyright infringers | Privacy Online News
 Microsoft Has Broken Millions Of Webcams With Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Thurrott.com
 Doubling battery power of consumer electronics | MIT News
 Front Page | ReactOS Project
 AMD shows its Zen CPU can compete with Intel’s best
 Amazon Prime, Hyundai Is Now Offering On-Demand Car Test Drives
 CRISPR patent battle heats up as new email disputes Zhang’s claims | FierceBiotech
 Facebook and Unity team up to launch a Steam competitor
 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a big-budget, super-huge sequel that delivers | Ars Technica
 Enderal: The Shards of Order — Skyrim mod review | PC Gamer
 Release OBS Studio 0.15.4 · jp9000/obs-studio · GitHub

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/tek-0245-replace-all-humans
4 Likes

Oh, a new episode, sweet

You seem quite buzzed in this one (the first bit alone in office). It's a great episode. :D

Reactos seems like good idea specially for students who don't want to spend money on Windows and just need an OS for writing documents browsing the net and feels familiar or eZ to ten Coz it is similar to Windows also compatible with most common stuff from Windows

3 Likes

One thing that's starting to annoy me right now is this idea that the youth/young today (Do I still qualify as I'm 30 this year?) are more open to or wanting more automation. I just hate the idea of every car on the road being a self driving one just irks me. It's all fine and good having Google, Uber, and Elon Musk paving the way to the "future" but what's ths point of them all if there are no Charles Yeagers to test things?

1 Like

Is this the first Tek with only @Logan?

11 Likes

I hope all those people are woken suddenly in the night with explosive diarrhea, and no power in there homes. They have to navigate to their bathroom in the dark with a floor covered in Legos.

8 Likes

thats a Logan grade threat right there 9/10

4 Likes

Disclaimer: I'm a pilot with 20+ years of experience and I hate being a passenger regardless of who is driving.

Regarding pilot-less aircraft; while I can see benefits and recognize that the technology already exists it would take many years of incident free operations before you could convince me to ride in one.
Airbus was the first to implement computer augmented fly-by-wire (Human Proof) systems in their airliners and there is one incident where the computer ignored pilot input and caused a crash.

And quite a few others where the computer system was suspect.

Boeing utilizes computers and automation systems but the pilots have the final say in what the airplane is going to do. On the other hand Airbus says our programmers know more about flying than pilots.
The problem with computers flying your aircraft comes down to the old adage 'garbage in garbage out'. When a computer glitch points your aircraft at Terra Firma who is going to take over the controls?

I think once everything is self driving, we'll be a lot safer on the roads. Other people are always the biggest hazard & designing an AI that can deal with other people doing stupid things is going to be just as hard as training a person to deal with other people doing stupid things.

I was at a seminar where the head of Uber in Australia & NZ was speaking last year. I asked questions about self-driving cars because it kind of seems like the obvious direction to me (turns out now it is). At the time, he was still talking about how they are a technology company, not a taxi company. They were more interested in owning the IP to the app than owning any cars or employing drivers. Rather they see drivers & riders (is that the right word?) both as customers. Even with self-driving cars, I think the idea will be less about them owning a fleet & more about people having their cars out earning money for them while they work or sleep.

Indeed.... showed up to say something... but no need. Thanks Ethereal, lol.

6 Likes

I think the cam had beer goggles On this episode :)

say memes backwards six times fast

Also, I met John at Ground Kontrol with Logan and Qain. Cool guy.

1 Like

Logan...How soon can we get self driving cars,planes, buses and trains. AS FAST AS BUSINESS can push it through government. The business's will make huge bank removing people from their companies. No human idiots, no payroll, no medical care, no harassment, the list goes on and on. We as people are nasty little beings.

Companies only want money nothing else.

AI master race

1 Like

in agreement

That was a nice episode, I liked the old school randomness of your humor.

0:00 - If no one's around and Logan makes a sound... Is he Crazy!!!
0:22 - The best thing on the Internet
0:32 - Squarespace Sponsor spot
1:44 - Top Story Uber’s first self-driving cars will start picking up passengers this month
2:07 - Breakthrough Treatment With Lab-Grown Corneas Cures Blindness in Sheep
3:32 - Comcast will offer $70 gigabit Internet in Chicago after all [Updated]
6:00 - The NSA Leak Is Real, Snowden Documents Confirm
7:32 - UK Court: ISPs have to block trademark infringements in addition to copyright infringements
10:53 - Court rules that ISPs do not need to give up information on alleged pirates, copyright infringers
11:56 - Microsoft Has Broken Millions Of Webcams With Windows 10 Anniversary Update
14:13 - Doubling battery power of consumer electronics
15:40 - DNC Hacks and Leaky Government Make Encryption Restrictions Look More Foolish Than Ever
15:46 - Front Page | ReactOS Project
16:56 - Epic Pants Spot
18:02 - Let the CPU wars begin: AMD shows its Zen CPU can compete with Intel’s best
18:09 - ChaosChunk and the Big Story
34:30 - Once again ... Let the CPU wars begin: AMD shows its Zen CPU can compete with Intel’s best
37:28 - Amazon Prime, Hyundai Is Now Offering On-Demand Car Test Drives
40:12 - Tiny Tom Loganing
40:28 - Facebook and Unity team up to launch a Steam competitor
45:18 - Star Citizen spot
46:14 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a big-budget, super-huge sequel that delivers
47:00 - Enderal: The Shards of Order — Skyrim mod review
48:26 - Click on the screen stuff... Buy some T's !!!

1 Like