The Tek 0230: Where is Logan? | Tek Syndicate

This is also an interesting read on the topic of "Robots taking over the world with AI"

https://what-if.xkcd.com/5/

1 Like

I think those illustrations would be of microsofts attempts at AI.

I understand it a great deal more than I let on.

Mostly I maintain my reference to the sci-fi concept of AI as it exists to further "the singularity" idea. But it's mostly a joke. It's also so Wendell has something to "correct."

As for that video, I saw it when it was first released.

I know it seems like I have no idea about the world, but that's further from the truth than one can imagine.

(EDIT)

Also while we are referencing outside material, I'll bring the mind of Stephen Hawking into the mix.

Also:

1 Like

You've very good at pretending...

Maintaining a "sci-fi concept of AI" while doing a talk on tech news and it's relevance... Not sure if I can take the Tek talks seriously if you don't. I listen (and support) the tek because I appreciate intelligent responses and extra contextual information to current day news... not sci-fi fantasy and tin-foil-hat nonsense.

Same, it's an excellent channel.

I still hold my position that a general theme in the tek talks is to promote fear of AI and "how close" we are to the singularity. It's fantastical and silly.

If you indeed know a thing or two about AI and how our current implementations of neural network simulations work, then I encourage you to discuss that and share what you know instead of promoting the skynet narrative.

I know where Logan was. He was off on a quest to stop the AI from becoming too sentient...

^ AI removed this comment

I very much did like the end.

Hope it is done like that forever onwards.

If you think we are promoting scary singularity, then you are missing the joke.

We run a technology and entertainment show. There is a certain amount of concern we must have in reference to the existing school of thought in regard to "terminator/Matrix" styled Sentient computers.

We have something coming up that we are hoping to shed some light on this whole topic from a "real" stance and further away from the science fiction.

As for my references to Sci-Fi for inspiration of possibilities of "sentient" computers, I'll start pulling from "Bicentennial man, and A.I."

In the end, we really have NO idea what a "sentient" computer system will be like, or how it would operate. Being that we currently don't have one.

When speaking about Weak Artificial Intelligence and using it as a synonym to "Sentient, self-aware Computers" or StrongAI.

One exists, the other is a fantastical idea.
Humans keep working on making a StrongAI in hopes it will make for a better future.
A healthy bit of skepticism for StrongAI should also be employed. What happens if/when a computer system is able to self improve, and self-replicate? Would it proactively compete with humans in a job market? What happens to all the displaced humans?
Currently humans are creating robots to replace humans, what happens when computers are creating robots to replace "robots that replace humans?"
We don't need an army of killing machines to wipe out the human race (we do that fine on our own.)
Though what happens if it's a slow displacement of humans until they no longer have a "function" on the planet. Society will change dramatically, and we will either need to de-populate, or move to another area and multiply.

The entire AI, SAI, AGI, WAI, conversation is huge. People understand scary robots coming to kill them, which is why we make movies and stories about it. The Book iROBOT is great, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, also a great book. Both discuss AI and AGI in a manner that isn't "Terminator" which is why I reference them. But the general public is more aware of Skynet and The Matrix. We would like a "Jarvis." because it's awesome and helpful, and also not destructive.

Now, Skynet, in the fiction, "became self-aware" then it made the decision to launch nukes at Russia. It made a self preservation decision to keep it's "enemies" in the US from turning it off.

So while we think of the Terminator as a human like machine (T2). Skynet was the AGI operating out of self preservation, after it was big enough to be tied into everything from flight computers, manufacturing plants, to Military strategic computer systems. The people in charge wanted to shut it off, because they realized it was making decisions without them. They wanted to shut it down. During all the chaos that ensued, it designed and created the Terminators as pest control styled killing machines that were created for the purpose of infiltration and elimination of humans that were out to shut down the AGI.

To tie this into the "Stamp collecting AI", what happens if it was given an instruction that it had to preserve it's stamp collecting function by any means necessary? Beyond the "humans are made from carbon." What if it was tied into the vast network of manufacturing systems and military installations. What better way to wipe out all these carbon based life forms in an attempt to gather more resources to feed its stamp making manufacturing robot.

I do believe, that Fiction is a great way to convey ideas to people in a manner that everyone can understand.
One of those skeptical ideas induces fear as a basic self preservation concept that all humans can grasp.

Skynet was originally presented in the original Terminator movie to have more in common with the Stamp making AI than Robin William's portrayal of AGI in Bicentennial Man, which I might add was based on the book The Positronic Man, which is based on an Asimov Novella of the same name.

TL;DR

My mentions of Skynet are a joke, but even that joke has a small basis in what should be real concerns in the school of thought regarding AGI.

1 Like

Oh man do I ever need this new music. Ever since the PAX East videos and now this... It sounds SO GOOD.

1 Like

plus you would need a factory out there that would be 100% automated that could produce anything or 3D printers that could produce other 3D printers and they would be able to move themselves and produce weapons and guns and produce robots before a human would be able to just reboot the system.

We already have multi-purpose robots that can be programmed to do a variety of tasks. It's not a far stretch to think that we could design a fully automated multipurpose manufacturing plant that can be re-programmed to change it's function.

We already have those to a limited degree. It currently still needs a human touch. But all these "scary" stories start out with good intentions, and really awesome ideas. The idea isn't so much that the AGI's will "hate" humans. But that it could determine that humans are a threat to it's self, and it will do whatever it can to prevent itself from being shut down.

Is it a stretch, yes. Is it a stretch that humans make stupid decisions that have lasting ill effects on the world at large? No.

If the scary stories come to fruition, it will sound like: "We were just trying to do the right thing!"

If we consider and fabricate what could have been an unforeseen consequence, we will circumvent these issues from happening. In the mean time, ignorant folk will have years of entertainment with scary robots are bad movies.

Educated folk will continue to prove them wrong, and we continue the cycle.

Who is this John Oliver dude you all keep going on about?
Just looks like another late night chat show to me.
Not American ^

Just send some blueprints to China. Let the assemble parts, build more parts, pay some poor guys to put together sent parts. Those parts kill the guys and continue building.

Can't wait for a special AI generated type of video - or video about AI where you go all out.

Lets hope Logan fought well. At least his tweets suggest that some kind of intelligence still exists, posting links to The Tek.

Last Week Tonight. He's a British guy, who got a Comedy show on HBO after being a cast member of "The Daily Show: With John Stewart"

2 Likes

You always get the weirdest Brits
Piers Morgan, Simon Cowell, now this guy

Video doesn't work. Do you plan to reupload?

too long? that's a thing?

i've used slack mostly for out-of-game corp communications for eve. slack and jabber are very common within eve for out of game communication, alerts, etcetera... works pretty well.

I think its more of a; all Brits are just weird situation.

Well thanks I guess?