The small linux problem thread

Might have to check it out.

Praise be to the fedora magazine though for keeping my linux geeking strong though. Introduced me to exa and glances lol

3 Likes

powerlineā€¦ So thatā€™s what that is. I noticed it in terminals on Linux Lite 4.0 (searching for lightweight distros for an old netbook) but didnā€™t know what was up with the new appearance.

2 Likes

Did you like it?

It was a new eye catching aesthetic, but I didnā€™t play with it much yet. I had no idea what it was or how it could be used or customized.

In general Iā€™m often torn between having the full path and user name at the prompt for unabiguity versus a more compact prompt for clarity.

Iā€™d probably keep the defaults, but especially on small screens my preference will be whichever is most information dense.

1 Like

Complete Linux noob here, taken the switch over from Windows a month or so ago.

I am still having trouble learning my way around installing packages.

This is the package that I am trying to install - https://github.com/LN-Zap/zap-desktop#install

I have extracted the file but I can not see a .deb or .AppImage file anywhere; I am clearly missing something obvious

I am using Ubuntu 18.04

Thanks

You are probably downloading the source - you wonā€™t find a precompiled package from that.

The readme lists this as the download:

https://github.com/LN-Zap/zap-desktop/releases/download/v0.2.2-beta/ZapDesktop-linux-amd64-v0.2.2-beta.deb

I am having a couple problems as a new linux user on a asus laptop with nvidia graphics. I am using debian 9.5.

1. there seems to be a problem with color depth. near solid colors in anything from images, videos and video games seems to have lines where there would be there would be a slight color shift. the lines spread out when using nvidiaā€™s x server to change the color range from full to limited.
  2. the second fan, although running at a slow rpm(took apart the laptop and turned it on), does not change when running the fan speed in terminal. i am using lm-sensors. it only shows pwm1 not a pwm2. I found this for arch users and I am unsure if this is what can fix it or if i can modify it in some way to use it in debian.
    https://github.com/daringer/asus-fan/tree/master/buildscripts/archlinux/asus-fan-dkms-git

Hi, Iā€™ve been dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10 for a few months now. Really I only use the Ubuntu installation, but yesterday needed to boot into Windows, Windows updated, and now I canā€™t boot into Ubuntu. Anyone know of a fix?

Thinkpad e480
Ubuntu 18.04
Kernel 4.18
Windows 10
Version 1803

Is it booting directly to windows without the option of booting into Ubuntu or does Ubuntu boot part of the way and fail?

If it is the first, then you need to reinstall grub. There are plenty of guides on how to do this, most of them for ubuntu basically this wiki page with pictures- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

If it is the second, then let us know what exact error(s) you are seeing.

1 Like

It was the first. Thank you!

pfft

use plain vanilla sh

because it is everywhere. you might not find bash or zsh on #ancientUnixVariant

#UnixNeckbeardMasterRace

donā€™t get me started on PERL. use AWK instead because you might not find perl :joy:

edit:
Plus, awk is faster and more efficient :stuck_out_tongue: (possibly)

I had to fix an AIX serverā€™s fstab before using cat because an admin fucked it up and vi wasnā€™t available :smiley: cave man tools ftw

1 Like

that must have been annoying.

Not so bad, you just write the whole thing locally on your desktop then do the old cat << EOF bit and paste the whole thing into your SSH session. If you have to type it in locally at a terminal, now that would suck.

2 Likes

cat << EOF masterrace.

2 Likes

No remote access. I did it via single user mode on console on physical hardware.

I used to feel that way ā€¦ sometimes resorting to ksh-isms. But itā€™s less important now that #properunixen are relatively rare. On the other hand, bash-isms can make shell scripts somewhat less readable (in my opinion) - and shell scripts can get pretty unreadable on their own.

If weā€™re swapping old war stories, there was this time when I set a root password that couldnā€™t be typed on the system console - login defaulted to the old standard of ā€˜#ā€™ killing a character and ā€œ@ā€ killing a line (or perhaps the other way around). Or that time when someone had a vi accident and wiped out half of the main named zone file.

And I have a full feral beard; none of this trendy beard stuff.

1 Like

Whats the best way to mount a drive. By uuid or /dev/sda ?

And ive seen multiple ways to grab a uuid, they are different numbers. Iā€™m assuming one is the drive and one is the partition?

Trying to find some good documentation on this.

Uuid.

3 Likes

UUID is the one you want. Using /dev/sda is fine if youā€™re not removing and adding drives routinely. The UUID is persistent while /dev/sd(x) is dependent on which sata port you use. If your not using port 0 for your drive that you list in fstab as /dev/sda and then add another drive in a lower number port, your new drive will become /dev/sda and you will have trouble booting.

1 Like