The small linux problem thread

Yeah, but I’m tired of fighting with updates and I/O issues.

I’ve accepted defeat (for now) and migrated my Fedora box to Winderz. Still have Debian on my laptop, but now I’m in an odd predicament where I’ve got two Windows workstations and a Macbook Pro with not a Linux in sight :sob:

1 Like

I didn’t know you were having issues in that area. I mean, I read the post, but thought it was all hypothetical.

If you’re ready to give it another stab sometime, I’d be happy to try to help you debug things.

1 Like

Yeah, sadly it’s been off and on for several years across multiple distros and DEs. Some people have told me it’s my keyboard/mouse combo, others have said it’s my motherboards, etc.

My main problem is we have some serious software that utilize log files, and it won’t work on Linux no matter what I do. Netbeans and Intellij. I’ve added default editors, forced programs to run, added [desktop] entries, etc. “View Log” for one of our applications won’t open gedit, vim, Sublime Text, nothing. It’ll open TextWrangler on Mac and Notepad on Windows but wtf. Work don’t pay me to tinker on Linux though, :grin: :sob:

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I’ve got a lot of (self imposed) deadlines that I’m trying to meet and, as silly as it sounds, messing with keyboard/mouse for 30 seconds and rebooting for 30 seconds is a major productivity killer for me. Probably going to revisit it in a couple of months.

2 Likes

Not silly at all. Every time I get distracted, it takes me another 10-15 minutes to get back into the flow.

4 Likes

Oh man, that kinda sucks… Maybe I’ve been the lucky one with Linux.

That’s ok. If you want, tho, and if you have any free time, maybe the output of sudo make install can tell us where are those binaries going :eyes:. Sadly, I cannot help on the I/O stuff :pensive:.
Now, on the bright side:

I envy you, keep up the good work!

whats the output of this sudo find / -name conky?

Should help you track down the location of whats producing the error

1 Like

results in
/etc/conky /usr/share/doc/conky usr/bin/conky

configs are stored in /etc/conky. documentation is in /usr/share/doc/conky. and the binary is in /usr/bin/conky

Couldn’t make heads or tails of it, so i apt-get remove conky, terminal does its thing- reboot… … conky … is … still … there …on my desktop, and those logs every five seconds.

what distro are you using? if its systemd based then just type this systemctl --list-units | grep conky

kali rolling release- I usually put this on a VM, but went bare metal this time. --list-units returned “unrecognized option”.

yeah. thats my bad. is just list-units XD

1 Like

Thanks- yeah nothing conky shows up so for fun I removed the pipe and grep to see the full list- found that vmware-workstation-server.service and vmware.service has an Active and Sub of failed so I guess more stuff to mess with later haha.

Would this be because I installed conky from git and it tries to check for updates but it’s ppa isn’t added?

*edit, I also did a purge conky- but my conky display on the desktop is still there, still configured, and still spitting out those logs in var/log/user.log haha

1 Like

probably

1 Like

I recently installed Debian Buster on my Dell Inspiron 7567 laptop. It works fine - except I only get left channel output out of my speakers. If I mess around in ‘hdajackretask’ I can get 2.0 OR 1.1 output, but not 2.1. (Yes the laptop has a subwoofer.)

I’ve also looked in alsamixer and it looks like both channels are enabled. The headphone jack does stereo just fine.

Any thoughts?

Just out of curiosity have you tried using a live USB of a different distro to make it isn’t hardware-related? If you did I apologize, I just didn’t see you mention it.

1 Like

The laptop previously had Debian Stretch installed, and the sound seemed normal then. I’ve tried to install Ubuntu and Fedora, but the installer just locks up. And audio in Windows seems OK.

1 Like

Anyone have any issues mounting mixed mode CDs aka blue book standard aka Enhanced Music CD?

Trying to read an original quake2 disk. Disk is good, works on a windows machine.

I am having the issue where any time I attempt to switch to the nvidia proprietary driver I am it fails and switches back to the nouveau driver, then upon reboot I have no gui available and have to purge all NVIDIA files from my system, restart, and then I am able to log in. This is on a dell xps 9560 using kubuntu.

what causes this when firefox is starting??