The small linux problem thread

@colesdav I’m posting here from the Steamplay Proton thread. From what I understand about Fedora 28 (I don’t run it daily, I use Xubuntu), ver. 28 changed a lot of things about package management from Fedora 27, therefore breaking a bunch of functionality. If possible for now, I’d recommend rolling back your distro to ver. 27 so you can get the best experience possible, but if you need version 28, you can temporarily change dnf repos to use Rawhide:

sudo yum install fedora-repos-rawhide
sudo yum install --enablerepo rawhide bash
sudo dnf update mesa-dri-drivers mesa-filesystem mesa-libEGL mesa-libGL mesa-libGLU mesa-libOSMesa mesa-libOpenCL mesa-libgbm mesa-libglapi mesa-libxatracker mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers llvm-libs --releasever=29

Hopefully this helps you out, if anyone else has any recommendations, please bump and post!

1 Like

I’m not aware of F28 making any significant changes to packaging. No functionality is broken. There are changes to flatpaks which don’t affect for packages or rpms in general.

For newer Mesa drivers you can try the above. However simply enabling rawhide may break your system if it tried to update other packages.

Your best bet is to use an up to date copr repo. There is at least one I was looking at earlier today.

Your other option is to slow down. F29 beta is out third week of September less than a month away, it’s really not that long away, and general release the month after.

Thank you.
Again I apologise for posting in the Steamplay Proton Thread:
Here is a copy of the Original Post.
I will edit the original post to point to here:

Original Post:

I am moving from Windows to Linux.
I am not a Linux expert w.r.t Mesa video driver upgrade and installation.

I was interested to see what the “out of the box” experience would be Fedora.
I upgraded my Distro from Fedora 27 to 28, which is easy to do.
Fedora 28 is currently using this version of the
Mesa version installed is: [colesdav@Unknown-10-c3-7b-6c-27-d2 ~]$ glxinfo |
grep “OpenGL version”
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
[colesdav@Unknown-10-c3-7b-6c-27-d2 ~]$

I have completed the initial first pass look on Fedora 28 with those drivers.
I have created many video recordings, some of which are still processing. and made those available to try to get more interest so more people get involved/ are aware of Steam Play Beta.

Next step is to upgrade the Mesa Drivers.

RE: I know it can be a headache on Linux (especially on Fedora).

I agree.

I am finding upgrading the Mesa Drivers on Fedora 28 difficult.
I started to take a look at that today.

I followed the instructions here:

“Moving on - How to download and install latest Mesa GPU Drivers:
For latest Drivers: https://mesa3d.org/
For download information: https://mesa3d.org/download.html
For download location: https://mesa.freedesktop.org/archive/
For installation instructions: https://mesa3d.org/install.html”

I selected these:
“August 24, 2018
Mesa 18.1.7 is released. This is a bug-fix release.”

I followed points 1 & 2.

The download, untar/unzip, and make / compile ran o.k based on what I see in the log files.

On reboot I still see this:

[colesdav@Unknown-10-c3-7b-6c-27-d2 ~]$ glxinfo | grep “OpenGL version”
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5

Is it possible someone on this forum could help out with advise and more details on what I need to do to get the latest Mesa Drivers running on Fedora 28 please?

Downloading games, testing, creating and editing videos and uploading those to Youtube keeps me busy enough. I would prefer to be doing that , and I am sure many others testing this would as well.

Since Steam Plays Beta is so important, is there no way that Steam could talk to Fedora and MESA driver people and provide an easier way to allow automatic upgrade to these new MESA drivers using dnf in Fedora 28?

Thanks.

(on my laptop so I can grab links for you)

You just need to know the right things and ask the right questions. Its not harder than Ubuntu for example.

If you really want the latest graphics stack straight off upstreams latest releases use this copr https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/nadmartin/mesa/

Keep in mind as with anything 3rd party repos could lead to instability.

I’d advise against using rawhide, you’ll screw up your system if you do it wrong.

Your other option is to just wait. F29 beta is out soon as I mentioned, what’s the rush.

If it’s just a test system for you, go ahead and play with the copr repo. I’d wait until F29 beta if you want to try Fedora 29 (current rawhide) before release

1 Like

Appreciate the insight, @Eden. Thanks a ton!

1 Like

This is never a good idea. The packaging system works well. Start making out of management changes and you’ll screw up your system if you don’t know what you’re doing. this is universal to almost all distros.

1 Like

Hi,

Fedora 28 seems to be working well for me in my limited time using it since upgrading.
I think I will stay on it for now.
RE: simply enabling rawhide may break your system if it tried to update other packages.

OK thanks for that advice . I want to try something that will let me install these new drivers as quickly as possible with least risk of wrecking the Fedora 28 installation.

OK I will start to investigate that: If you have anymore information that could help me I would appreciate it.

RE: Your other option is to slow down. F29 beta is out third week of September less than a month away, it’s really not that long away, and general release the month after.

I want to get some videos of the Steam Plays Beta out as soon as possible to Youtube.
Please note my channel is only for uploading test cases and is not monetized.

I am trying to promote this Steam Plays Beta because I think people need to be given an alternative to move away from Windows 10. Windows 7 Extended support ends Jan 14 2020. That is not long. You can get hold of Windows 8.1 keys but they are not meant to be sold.
So people are forced to use Windows 10 or Apple OS.

Thanks.

Thanks I will try that now.

OK Thanks I will try what you advise and run the copr repo.

I plan to test that copr repo tomorrow but from the look of it it looks to be the best repo atm for mesa builds for F28.

Simple to enable

Add the following to /etc/yum.repos.d/mesa.repo

[nadmartin-mesa]
name=Copr repo for mesa x64 owned by nadmartin
baseurl=https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/nadmartin/mesa/fedora-$releasever-$basearch/
type=rpm-md
skip_if_unavailable=True
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/nadmartin/mesa/pubkey.gpg
repo_gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
enabled_metadata=1

[nadmartin-mesa-i686]
name=Copr repo for mesa i686 owned by nadmartin
baseurl=https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/nadmartin/mesa/fedora-$releasever-i386/
type=rpm-md
skip_if_unavailable=True
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/nadmartin/mesa/pubkey.gpg
repo_gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
enabled_metadata=1

As it mentions add exclude=kernel* if you dont want the unstable kernel (you may want it if your running amd)

then run dnf update

copr is simpler usually (just a dnf copr install command) but you probably want both 32 bit and 64 bit repos as it mentions.

2 Likes

With so many here running Fedora 28, could you verify if the “updates available” icon (dnfdragora box) shows up consistently in the notification area when there are updates?

For me, this happens only once after a fresh boot. If I then close the icon (doesn’t disappear on its own if updates are installed from terminal), it never appears again until I reboot.

I check and install updates from the terminal since that feels faster, but I still like to have the visual cue when there are updates. I’m using MATE if it matters.

You’d need to look up the documentation I think. With gnome software for example this will show periodically when there are updates, but not just from dnf but for flatpaks and firmware updates (where supported) as well. Dnf alone won’t catch all these.

So gnome software may still show updates available even if you’ve updated dnf as itay show firmware or flatpaks updates.

Dnfdragona you’ll need to check what it’s actual functionality is.

We’re talking about the yellow cube icon that is the same as dnfdragora’s icon, yes?

It remains even when opening it shows no updates to install.

And the main issue is it never shows up again after being closed once, until a reboot.

@Synchronus, @Eden

Thank you so much.

I am now running with:

[colesdav@Unknown-10-c3-7b-6c-27-d2 ~]$ glxinfo | grep “OpenGL version”
OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.2.0-rc4

I will get on with Plays Beta Testing, on Fedora 28, with these drivers.

Bye.

This is a weird problem that I’ve found in Ubuntu 18.04 since I installed the last update from software manager. Now any drive that is ntfs will randomly unmount for about 30 seconds and remount. There’s no pattern. I’m not doing anything but looking around on the web, or watching YouTube vids, or on these forums. But randomly I’ll look on my desktop, and the drive icons will suddenly vanish and I’ll get a popup on the top bar that says that I’ve lost one of my windows drives. And a split second after that, the other ntfs drive will drop. And 30 seconds later, they’ll be back. For a random amount of time. Could this hurt my ntfs drives?

Hopefully there’s nothing wrong posting this here. Basically I’m having a weird issue with one of my disc drives and Ubuntu 18.04. Not sure if it’s Linux, SATA controllers, or the drive itself.

Any input is appreciated.

Hello, I have a problem setting up offlineimap :tired_face:. Here is what’s wrong:

Account sync gmail:
*** Processing account gmail
Establishing connection to imap.gmail.com:993 (gmail-remote)
ERROR: Unknown SSL protocol connecting to host 'imap.gmail.com' for repository 'gmail-remote'. OpenSSL responded:
[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:726) *** Finished account 'gmail' in 0:00

Testing with openssl s_client -connect imap.gmail.com:993 gives
SSL handshake has read 2954 bytes and written 391 bytes
Verification: OK
So I guess everything is alright in that front.
Reading around only found a link to SO but that was relevant to Python 2.7 in homebrew, I’m on Debian Sid.

For reference, here is the relevant part of my .offlineimaprc

.offlineimaprc

[general]
accounts = gmail
starttls = yes
ssl = yes
pythonfile = ~/.config/mutt/credentials/imappwd.py

[Account gmail]
localrepository = gmail-local
remoterepository = gmail-remote

[Repository gmail-remote]
auth_mechanisms = LOGIN
type = Gmail
remoteuser = [REDACTED]@gmail.com
remotepasseval = mailpasswd("gmail")
remoteport = 993
folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername not in ['[Gmail]/All Mail']
sslcacertfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

And, for additional information, it seems like if I change the ssl and starttls lines to no, it still verifies the certificate, and if it remove the sslcacertfile line it just complains that there’s no use to having SSL on (even though ssl = no)

Hi,

Sorry to bother you again. I ran a software update and I now have the following drivers installed:

OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.0-devel

I just tested Doom 2016 Vulkan and it gives 3FPS … OpenGL gives around 25.

Do you know the correct way to get back to running the Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers?

I tried various dnf commands but failed.

This might be a problem with Vulkan performance on the Mesa Drivers and Vulkan though.

I note, for example, that Wolfenstein: The New Colossus only manages ~ 10 FPS.

Any help you could give me to help me try to roll back to Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers quickly would help me push on with testing this quickly.

As a cross check I will go and install Wolfenstein: The New Colossus on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / AMDGPU/PRO installation and see how that performs in the meantime. It looks like the MESA Vulkan performance is very poor. It looks like something is broken.

Thanks again.

If the package is available

dnf downgrade package-name-version

you can see available versions with dnf --showduplicates list package-name

you can block a package from upgrading with dnf install package-names/update --exclude=package-name

you can install a spcific version with dnf install package-name-version

1 Like

In Fedora, how can the preferred/default compiler be set if both GCC and Clang are installed?