The small linux problem thread

do any errors show when you run sudo eopkg check | grep -v OK?

1 Like

Hmm, Ruby is broken for some reason. Iā€™ll reinstall it and see if that helps:

Checking integrity of ruby                                           Broken
Corrupted file: /usr/bin/gem
Corrupted file: /usr/bin/rake
Corrupted file: /usr/bin/rdoc
Corrupted file: /usr/bin/ri

Thanks for the tip. I like Solus, but its obscure package manager is not my favorite.

1 Like

thats what happens when you build your own distro from the ground up. eopkg is not my favorite. DNF takes that cake by a mile but eopkg is pretty good for being home brew

2 Likes

Agreed. If Budgie is ever ported to Fedora, Iā€™ll buy myself a bottle of champaign.

2 Likes

I like solus. Its fast and stable but man does installer suck ass lol. Besides the somewhat lack of packages, the only thing keeping me away from solus is the god awful installer

1 Like

Well, Ruby fix didnā€™t help, but I removed my workspaces and added a new one and the behavior seems to be gone.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a tarball of a ready-made Solus budgie install. I do an archlinux-style install of it because I donā€™t like fucking hate that ext4 is the only supported FS.

Also, eopkg is not homebrew. they improved the package manager from pisi linux and it became eopkg. Theyā€™re going on to the 3rd iteration of it, though. or at least they will be when Ikey gets around to it, heā€™s spread so thin itā€™s amazing he gets anything done.

3 Likes

Yeah. I spent many hours trying to migrate an installation to an MD mirror to find out that their initramfs just doesnā€™t have any of the MD stuff in it. Itā€™s technically possible, but youā€™d have to rejigger it on every kernel update, so no thanks.

Thereā€™s definitely some things Iā€™m missing in the packages which arenā€™t in snaps either. Iā€™m using Remmina to manage some Macs but the VNC quality is stuck at max so itā€™s slow af. I donā€™t think TigerVNC has this issue, but itā€™s just not an option.

1 Like

Lol, ok so it lagged on workspace change again, so I removed everything from my desktop and now no lagā€¦

It appears that Budgie is just having fun with me.

Hold on, I may be encountering a similar problem. All I saw was this post. Let me read up.

Okay, syncā€™d up:

can you post system specs? Particularly interested in CPU GPU and RAM

2 Likes

yep. I have to give full respects to him. Im impressed by solus for pretty much being done by a single person lol.

1 Like

Is this what you want or something more in depth?

you could try Gnome or Mate desktop if you really like the backend for solus

A lot of the packaging is being done by SunnyFlunk and Josh. Development is definitely Ikey though.

@oO.o I donā€™t see a GPU in there, aside from the GPU, that covers it.

Just an FYI, Iā€™m not experienced with debugging KDE. Iā€™ll do my best to help you along with your graphics stack, but once we get to KDE, Iā€™m a fish out of water.

1 Like

think he was referring to something like this lol

Screenshot%20from%202018-03-21%2017-31-54

2 Likes

Yeah, that or

CPU: Intel Quantum SUperconducting black hole, 128 cores
RAM: Donā€™t actually have any, the SUperconducting black hole rearranges atoms to store data
GPU: Nvidia tesla coil, not the tesla GPU, an actual tesla coil.

4 Likes

Sorry lagged again.

2 Likes

It seems to only happen when something is on the desktop

Ah, WX 5100.

Based on the unknown values in there, it seems like your graphics stack isnā€™t working properly.

Can you post the output of:

lspci -d 1002: -k
lsmod | grep amdgpu

We can use this to check to make sure that AMDGPU is attached to the GPU and loaded.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon Pro WX 5100]
	Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon Pro WX 5100]
	Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 580]
	Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 580]
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel