The small linux problem thread

I got it to work by installing the nvidia proprietary drivers

now I have different unrelated issue

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
zita-resampler: /usr/lib/libzita-resampler.so.1 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Found a solution

sudo rm /usr/lib/libzita-resampler.so.1

then

sudo pacman -Syu

When you run into an error like that, the first thing you want to do is check the arch news page.

https://www.archlinux.org/news/

Sometimes manual intervention with a package is required. Theyā€™ll mention it there if itā€™s a package from the official repositories.

For example, hereā€™s the page for your error: https://www.archlinux.org/news/zita-resampler-160-1-2-update-requires-manual-intervention/

2 Likes
nothing

Is there a quick fix for pulseaudio going robot? I switched audio devices ā€¦ should not have done that. :wink:

Forget about it, itā€™s a hardware thingā€¦

Hello, I got a new PC on which I can use Windows programms in a VM with Looking-glass and pci-passthough.
Now i wonder how I could use the guest GPU as the main host GPU while the VM is not running.
I loaded the gpu and audio module:

sudo modprobe -i -r vfio-pci && sudo modprobe -i nvidia snd_hda_intel

somehow snd_hda_intel does not load, but I guess that is not a problem because I do not plan to use the audio device.
How do I proceed from here? do I need to start a new X-server and plasmashell, or is there a way to migrate the running x-session to the new graphics card?

I want to monitor my CPU frequency on a per core basis. Is there a tool for that?
I can show the current speed with

watch -n1 "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep \"^[c]pu MHz\""

but I would like to have it plotted out over time.

you can use ksysguard which is a highly customizable system monitor. However it might not work very well with desktop-environments other than KDE/Plasma.

1 Like

I am aware of ksysguard and it is exactly what I want. But I am on XFCE on the machine I need it for right now. I thought there might be something else but I might end up installing that one. Thanks. :+1:

Not sure if itā€™s what you are looking for, but conky can display per core clocks. Hereā€™s what it looks like on my laptop:

Screenshot%20from%202018-02-27%2020-10-13

${font Hack:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}CPU${hr 2}$color${font}
CPU1: ${goto 45}${cpu cpu1}% ${goto 74}${cpubar cpu1 7,50}${goto 150}${freq 1} Mhz${alignr}${exec sensors | sed -n '4p' | cut -c17-22}
CPU2: ${goto 45}${cpu cpu2}% ${goto 74}${cpubar cpu2 7,50}${goto 150}${freq 2} Mhz${alignr}${exec sensors | sed -n '5p' | cut -c17-22}
CPU3: ${goto 45}${cpu cpu3}% ${goto 74}${cpubar cpu3 7,50}${goto 150}${freq 3} Mhz${alignr}${exec sensors | sed -n '4p' | cut -c17-22}
CPU4: ${goto 45}${cpu cpu4}% ${goto 74}${cpubar cpu4 7,50}${goto 150}${freq 4} Mhz${alignr}${exec sensors | sed -n '5p' | cut -c17-22}
CPU0: ${goto 45}${cpu cpu0}% ${goto 74}${cpubar cpu0 7,50}${goto 150}${freq 0} Mhz${alignr}${exec sensors | sed -n '3p' | cut -c17-22}

I need to check the CPU naming/numbers again.

Just upgraded my laptop to 4.15.4 and now my keyboard backlight is borked. There is no delay before dimming, at all. It starts dimming as I type, between key presses. How do I adjust this in Fedora 26?

Edit: It just started working correctly on its own. Dunno.

Nerds.
Show me de wae.

How do i install two linux distros onto one drive to dual booty? Sure I can install it fine but when it comes to installing the bootloader(GRUB) on the second operating system there is no option to add the entry to grub. In my attempts i fuck up and either overwrite grub on the original operating system installed; or the second os installs but doesnt add the entry to grub

i wanna die

im trying to install parrot and manjaro on my laptop with a fancy ssd.
help me im starving.

does this qualify for the
"The small linux problem thread?"

What two distros are you trying to install side by side? Shouldnt have todo more than just generate a new config and/or install os-proper

Conky is a fun thing but I donā€™t think it can print out a graph over time.
Think something like psensor but for clockspeeds, that is what Iā€™m looking for.

SNMP querying

What?

Right so I got Gnome on Wayland and its slowly gotten slower and slower and way more crashier. Its insane. Is there anything I can do or is gnome just grap?

Log in screen freezes for a solid second or two, putting my mouse cursor in the dock lags the whole system. Its nuts.

conky can show you a graph of those, if you have it load a lua script that will draw you the graph. Itā€™s more of an process to setup, but once you at lua scripts to conky, it can do just about anything. the only reason I wouldnā€™t say do this, is that if your only looking for a it to show you 1 graph, itā€™s might be more effort then is needed. but if you want to know more than that, conky all the way.

1 Like

sounds like a disk IO problem. are you on a slow HDD?

On KDE use KsysGuard.
Add a new tab and setup your sensors.

Hereā€™s one I just threw together.

This allows you to chart and log any sensors your kernel can access.
That means have it log to a file or show any other sorts of graphs as well as attach other remote machines for monitoring. :smiley:
In capability and ease of setup and use Conky got nothing on this.

From the tabs you can see that I have a few.

EDIT:

Drag and Drop with several modes to pick from

As you can see this system is currently essentially at idle. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, I just installed it on my XFCE edition Manjaro. I thought maybe there is one that doesnā€™t need a bunch of other things but it should be fine.