The small linux problem thread

ok so im on linux mint 18 cinnamon 64 bit with kernel 4.4.0-71. since upgrading google chrome a few weeks ago. chrome has been periodically adding itself and removing itself from the list of programs with sounds making a beep every time. as i have several chrome pages up 24/7 this is getting a bit annoying. updated to the latest version tonight and still no fix. i dont even know where to begin googling this without getting a million other audio false positives. help.

edit chrome verson Version 58.0.3029.81 (64-bit)

Does Cinnamon use the sound settings of Gnome Shell in some form or other? I dunno because I've not used Cinnamon in a very long time.

Then you should have application settings in the sound settings, where you can mute applications.

The list of applications with sound, that sounds like that tab in the sound settings. If it doesn't mute itself, that means that it must be unmuting itself. If that is the case, the function in Chrome to display notifications probably has some code to unmute itself, or to go over the system notifications. That can be solved in chrome. In advanced settings in chrome, you can turn off notifications. In that case, you won't have visual notifications either. If you want only visual notifications, but don't want other system notifications to be without sound, you'll probably have to script that, but I don't know Cinnamon enough to point to the files concerned. In Gnome (if Cinnamon uses a similar system, which is probable), the easiest way without scripting or editing files, is to change the sound of the notifications in the sound settings for the chrome application, then mute only that sound. If you're not afraid of editing files, you can edit the corresponding config file to just play any notification of the chrome app with volume zero. But as I said, that is Gnome Shell, Cinnamon is based off of that, but I don't know how similar that particular part is.

1 Like

i know it has gnome shell but idk if it's gnome shell based. i turned off notifications just now. i dont want to mute chrome entirely though. i know very little about scripting. i think the sound may be related to the new feature for chrome wendell talked about 2 weeks ago. the one where non active chrome pages go to sleep, but this is just an educated guess. havent heard anything since waking up but im unsure if im just too active on the chrome pages for it to go to sleep or if it's fixed.

aaaaaaaand it's still doing it.

I'm using XFCE4 and everything is almost perfect except my text isn't green. I need text everywhere in panels and windows to be green. I'm this close to just ditching my XFCE config and using KDE but I really don't want to.

Specifically I want #00e600

I went into GTKRC-2.0 and put this in

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0
#Text colors you can delete these if you want you use gtk theme colors
fg[NORMAL] = "#00e600"
fg[SELECTED] = "#00e600"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#00e600"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

but it didn't do what I thought it would do. Wat do halp.

I don't now about the sound issue, as I keep all but a few events disabled. IIRC, beginning with v17.3, I started having menu corruption issues. Program entries would randomly appear and then disappear. I hopped into the Mint forum and I saw a few other similar complaints, but no solution. Installing v18 didn't help one bit. The menu issue was the last straw for me, as I already had issues with Cinnamon crashing every couple of days. I decided to move on to a lighter, more responsive distro and I haven't looked back.

Funny thing, I have a second laptop that is still perfectly happy with Mint/Cinnamon, both v17 and v18. So, perhaps there was a hardware, or firmware compatibility issue with my first laptop, or perhaps it was sunspots. IDK. Misery, as they say, loves company, so the good news is that you aren't the only one. The bad news is that I don't have any helpful suggestions, apart from trying a new flavor of Linux, until the Mint folks get their act cleaned up.

Still need help.

Hello everyone,
Before buying a new computer (maybe linux only), i had a try on my current old pc.
I have a GTX260, and i put the nvidia latest driver. Did the first test with Dota and I encounter problems of graphic rendering. When i start a game, I hae 0 graphic, i see only the external interface.
Before investigating for nothing... Is my pc too old to event try gaming on linux, or am I something wrong?
thank you in advance for your opinion.

For next pc, i think going for ryzen 100X + nvidia cards. Should I wait the AMD cards or for linux point of view, it's easier nvidia?

I'm struggling to create proper iptable entries for creating a bridge from a container hosting openvpn to clients that connect to the service.

I guess my biggest pain points include understanding bridging on linux and then applying that to a container and openvpn (bridging to a client that doesn't exist yet).

I've done a fair amount of googling on this but still can't seem to find what appears to be the clear "right" direction on going with this. So for the only instructions I can get are for NAT, which I'm trying to avoid. Any thoughts?

You might need to look up what nvidia driver you need. Nvidia have split them into different drivers depending on the age of the card.

ubuntu for example, will have a number of drivers to pick depending on the card.

(im not familiar with which goes where)

As for a future purchase, you have two things to think about I think.

You could go with an nvidia card. It doesnt have open drivers, meaning you'll always realisticly have to use their closed drivers which can be a pain from time to time. Especially with first installs and potentially OS upgrades.
The upside is the drivers has good performance and full opengl support (and i think vulkan coming soon)

You could go with AMD, who have good open drivers. they "just work" out of the box without needing to install anything. This is the great thing about Linux. They fully support opengl, they support vulkan. They also have an optional closed driver with has things like opencl justnow.
the downside is they have just started really on performance now it has full opengl support. It also has a lag, so vega cards for example, youll need Linux 4.12/4.13 to use them. This might be fine depending on when vega comes out, or you may have to wait a month or two.

The question is whats important to you? Do you want to use free open drivers, do you want to support a company producing free open drivers? Or do you just want all the performance, don't mind the binary driver niggles and don't care if they give back to open free software or not?

personally i like supporting companies that respecting a users freedom by providing open code for their hardware. So i dont mind that the performance may lag a little behind, or that i have to wait a little for vega once its out. Because in the end ill still get what I want.

1 Like

What distro?

CentOS7

The issue is, I'd like to have the VPN clients on the same subnet as the openvpn host and not in a subnet of the openvpn host. If that makes any sense. I've looked at the openvpn docs and am really struggling with it.

remember CentOS uses firewalld. (interface to iptables, but you still probably want to use this)

Might be a good idea to write down every connection, source destination, port. might help figure out what you need.

1 Like

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just to get the VPN up NAT it, and do a deep dive later on how to do bridging... I think I may have successfully manually configured a KVM to bridge off the host. Now I just need to be able to apply that to connections that don't exist yet.

I'm looking for advice/best practices on this one here.

So I have a container running OpenVPN - the service cannot start. I feel like I've isolated the issue to the tun module not being loaded on the container. However, I can't load the module on the container, because I think the tun module isn't loaded on the host.

lsmod | grep tun 
    returns nothing on host

So, I fee like I'll need modprobe tun the host in order to get it to load in the kernel there and then I'll be able to continue forward with my project since the OpenVPN is container and shares the kernel with the host.

My question follows: is it best practice to load modules onto hosts for one off applications on container, like this situation - or is it better to create a complete new VM? Lastly, will I even be able to load it on the host machine? I ask because if I'm root on the container and tell it to load that module - shouldn't it? It is root, and does have access to the kernel (a shared one though) or is at a hypervisor level the kernel is controlled for containers?

Anyways - thoughts and ideas are appreciated - just looking before I leap.

So of the thing I've considered are - is loading a new module going to eat up more resources (than creating said VM)? Also, am I exposing my host to more security vulnerability by allowing tunnelling to place within the kernel?

Hi, I am new on this forum, I am Dutch (native, English is a foreign language to me). Level1Techs had this nice experiment with running Windows in a virtual machine for a Skylake CPU and a compatible motherboard.

I would like to set up this kind of system if it is possible with a Ryzen based system. I don't own the hardware yet, I intend to upgrade my i5-750 and a HD 7850 to a 1600(X)/1700 and some Vega card in the next few months. Given that I prefer a well tuned Linux system (by me) over a Windows system for all other tasks than Windows exclusive software and given that I am not too fond of some of Microsofts practices these days (like booting upt your computer without your permission to update and then not turn it off, or installing/uninstalling software without permission) and because I am a bit of a curious nerd I would like to try out to set up such a system myself.

My first question: is it possible at the moment to do the same for Ryzen? I hear Wendell talk a lot about IOMMU grouping problems. I don't know much about IOMMU and virtual machines but as far as I understand the IOMMU helps an OS running in a virtual machine to identify hardware and the PCIe-passthrough is necessary to allow the Virtual machine to use the graphics card almost as good as if the OS in the virtual machine would be the OS you are running at that moment. Does this IOMMU grouping problem (putting all that hardware in the same IOMMU group) make it impossible or more difficult to run Windows in a virtual machine under Linux with a Ryzen based system?
Second question. How does this PCIe passthrough work excactly? I am looking at this wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
_"Provided you have a desktop computer with a spare GPU you can dedicate to the host (be it an integrated GPU or an old OEM card, the brands do not even need to match) and that your hardware supports it, it is possible to have a VM of any OS with its own dedicated GPU and near-native performance. _
Suppose that I would have a HD 7850 and a RX 580 and I would PCIe passthrough that RX 580 to the virtual machine, does that mean that I can't use the RX 580 outside the virtual machine while the virtual machine is running or would I even have to close some program or even change some setting, reboot the system and only then be able to use the RX 580 again outside the virtual machine?
Why do you have to PCIe passthrough a graphics card but can the virtual machine just access all the other hardware (CPU, RAM, SSD, keyboard...)?

I hope that the more experience guys don't mind to give a short explanation or reference even though I am sure that these are n00b-questions which have been asked before. I don't mind to dive into the 'literature' and look up all the details but at this moment I don't even know if it is possible to set up a Ryzen based system this way yet. I do have some experience with programming and working from a terminal but this whole Linux world is kind of new to me, I only have used Linux Mint a bit.

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Bro, you have better English then me. And I'm American. :frowning:

As for your question, I don't know. I just wanted to say hi.

On Ryzen, there is no tangible advice anyone can give you how to make PCI passthrough work, everyone's pretty much still figuring shit out lol. It works on some systems, doesn't work on others, depending on UEFI updates and Windows problems. It'll probably still be a good couple of months before it would work.

Only advice I would give at this point for Ryzen is that, if you would buy the hardware before a pretty standardized solution is out there, you should not install Windows on the bare metal or use a harddisk with it that has/had Windows installed on it. But you can install linux on it and practice and try out kvm settings to see how far you get on your own based on different possible settings that turned out successful for others to do PCI passthrough. Just never ever install Windows on bare metal on new hardware ever again.

i'm on Ubuntu 16.10. is there any way to give a cli program [Ranger] it's own icon and button in the launcher so i can pin it and just run it from there instead of having to open a terminal first?

I believe that you can do this with a .desktop file

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=
Comment=
GenericName=
Exec=
Icon=
Type=Application
Categories=

for the command it will probably look something like this, I am writing for terminator, just change the arguments to what you need.

Exec=terminator -T 'Program Name' -e program

1 Like

cheers mate, will try.