The small linux problem thread

Uhhhh, you mean your applications menu in your DE?

solved the setting issue, reinstalled gnome applets and control center

[details=solved the settings issue]

maybe, but what doesn't work is this there is no central settings menu for gnome.

When i hit it, nothing happens, the settings application is not found
normally it should open a settings window with all the adjustable settings
I am not sure if it is a gnome tool or if it is a antegeros tool

now how do i solve this package error

Summary

Preparing...

Building cemu-git...
Cloning into 'cemu-git'...
remote: Counting objects: 5, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
remote: Total 5 (delta 0), reused 5 (delta 0)
Unpacking objects: 100% (5/5), done.
==> Making package: cemu-git 0.2-1 (Thu Apr 13 11:55:54 CDT 2017)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
-> Cloning cemu git repo...
Cloning into bare repository '/tmp/pamac-build-edd/cemu-git/cemu'...
remote: Counting objects: 9232, done.
remote: Total 9232 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 9232
Receiving objects: 100% (9232/9232), 4.22 MiB | 8.37 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (6714/6714), done.
-> Found cemu.desktop
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
cemu ... Skipped
cemu.desktop ... Passed
==> Extracting sources...
-> Creating working copy of CEmu git repo...
Cloning into 'cemu'...
done.
==> Starting pkgver()...
cat: CEmu.pro: No such file or directory
==> Updated version: cemu-git .r1169.c4ab7df-1
==> Starting build()...
Cannot find file: CEmu.pro.
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting...

Well since cemu isn't finished for linux I would say you wait.

1 Like

We are talking about the Ti calculator right and not the wii u emulator right?

whydotheyhavethesamename

CEmu=Color Edition emulator of ti calculator Ti 84+ CE

I'm having weird issues with the Wi-Fi on my Intel compute stick. Its the STCK1A32WFC model running Xubuntu. I can connect fine to the guest network on my router, however I cannot connect to the primary network on the same router. Whenever I try to connect to the primary network, it acts like its connecting for a bit, then asks for the password again and repeats this cycle until I cancel it.

Edit: I should say that yes I have checked and verified I'm using the correct password, and I've tried erasing the configuration saved for the network and connecting fresh. Didn't help.

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance :smiley:

It's kind of a known bug with small antennae 2.4+5 GHz WiFi adapters. They have poor separation between WiFi sources and bluetooth.
The thing to make sure is that you're running the Intel firmware for the adapter, it does improve that, then you'll get a situation whereby you'll only get it from time to time, and a simple disconnect/connect of your wifi will do the trick if it doesn't solve itself within 10 seconds.

To do that on an Ubuntu is easy:

ubuntu-drivers devices

then you get a list of devices with proprietary firmware or drivers
after the listed device, there is the name of the package to install, in this case probably there will be an entry for Intel iwl-xxxxx-firmware.

this firmware is in the standard repo, all you do is sudo apt install

if it's already installed, then you should probably move the device a bit, because that helps too, or not use it with bluetooth, that helps too.

Good morning L1T!

My laptop suddenly wont detect my second monitor. I am using a Lenovo Yoga 700 with Fedora 25.

Everything worked fine yesterday, but its not seeming to work today. Anyone know what might be going on?

Did you update, or is it just not detecting it?

Does it show up in system-settings?

What does lshw -c display show?

I always run updates before shutting down for the day. I remember seeing some updates last night, but I cant remember the details.

*-display
   description: VGA compatible controller
   product: HD Graphics 520
   vendor: Intel Corporation
   physical id: 2
   bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
   version: 07
   width: 64 bits
   clock: 33MHz
   capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
   configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
   resources: irq:125 memory:a0000000-a0ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

The "displays" app only shows the built-in monitor. The monitor can tell when it is plugged in, but it just says "No DVI Signal"

First of all thank you for the help. The only entries I see under ubuntu-drivers devices is "driver : intel-microcode - distro non-free" which is already in use. I had previously disabled bluetooth in the BIOS because I never use it and I had heard of the issues it causes with the Wi-Fi. I also can't really move the stick far, as it's being used as a movie/stream machine with a wall mounted TV.

I should mention no other devices on the network have issues with the router/Wireless AP, including a linux based laptop and 2 raspberry pi 0w's.

I've no idea. Ruled out bad cables and such?

run dnf history info last it will show what was updated, maybe there's a package there that might indicate the problem.

Also might want to check dmesg and journalctl -xb -p 1..4 for errors.

I'm not seeing anything that looks too bad, but i'm also not entirely sure what i'm looking for.

When I get home I will grab a known-working set of cables and another monitor and see if that helps. If not I may need to dig deeper

Then you've done everything you can do, it means the firmware is installed, bluetooth is off, try putting the stick on a CD, the CD being on the far end vis-à-vis the router. WIreless signals are a bitch, there are all kinds of issues because the 2.4 GHz band is just too busy these days. The antenna in the compute stick is tiny and not insulated from the main logic board, which makes the device perform less in terms of reception and separation. If you get to the board, maybe there is a small connector for an external antenna? I myself wouldn't bother though, I would just try to use a CD as reflector, it often helps as stupid as it sounds. Sometimes moving the device just an inch makes a large difference also.

A small question. I got into i3 wm. Distro is Fedora. Now i want to install i3-gaps. It's not packaged so on github they have a guide how to compile and install. And i just don't understand this line:
# Disabling sanitizers is important for release versions!
# The prefix and sysconfdir are, obviously, dependent on the distribution.
../configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-sanitizers

I am new to all of this compiling so i don't know what prefix and sysconfdir are.
link: Github i3-gaps

If you want there's a copr with i3-gaps

dnf copr search i3-gaps

If your compiling i think those defaults are fine. Prefix i imagine is the dir prefix for bin files (the /usr in /usr/bin) and sysconf being /etc which is correct

1 Like

Thank you very much. The compiling didn't work but the community repository did. Didn't knew fedora had such stuff. There is so little info about this on the internet.

Not sure how small or large this may be...

Anyone know how to easily change about 50 centOS 6 servers to point to a new Spacewalk Server?