The small linux problem thread

Hey guys have a problem again. I managed to mount my NAS samba shares in Fedora 25 it work great... except steam. When i try to make a steam folder it returns an error Steam Library-Must be on a filesystem mounted with execute permissions.
The NAS runs ZFS on linux.

The file i made for steam has those permissions:
drwxrwxrwx. 2 alphazero1990 alphazero1990 0 May 6 19:48 'Steam Library-Linux'
What's wrong here?

well, as always. You find the solution 10 minutes after you make an embarrassing post somewhere, after you searched for 5 hours.

Solution, opensm might not listen to all the ports.
And it didn't run even though it was running. Don't know how that's possible but i digress.

Currently using this for wallpaper switcher occasionally extensions disappear until GDM reloads everything. When I was using LightDM it made all the extensions disappear.

GDM handles the switch(whenever switching wallpapers) better than LightDM, but the screen freezes and everything is redrawn(if that's the correct phrasing). Usually takes a second or two before everything is redrawn, but can get a little annoying.

On the page people suggested using [email protected], but apparently it is not as nice as random walls.

Any alternatives to this extension(they don't have to be limited to extensions only)?

Hi Guys, I'm in a bit of a jam. I need to create backups but the machine cannot touch the internet. There needs to be a one time backup of all data but not the full disk which is what dd would do from what I understand, after the full backup I need it to perform iterative back up every time it shuts down if possible. It is currently running Ubuntu 13.04 which cannot be updated or the machine will lose its certification status in the industry I am in. I initially was going to use Deja Dup but without being able to connect to the internet I am unsure how to install this application. I am not a heavy Linux user but I can fumble my way around and have a friend that is a little more versed in it. I can throw together a separate PC to download the application and transfer it via USB if that is an option. If there is already a built in function of Ubuntu that can handle this it's even better.

Thanks for any help you may have!

rsync might be installed by default? This will do what you want fairly well. If its not installed, its a small package so should be easy to get (i don't think there's many if any dependencies) and put it through any checks you need before putting it on your system.

you can set up a script to run at shutdown. I don't know what ubuntu 13.04 uses (newer ones use systemd for running things like that, you will need to check.

Thanks very much @Eden. I'll have a look today and see if I can get rsync to work.

By adding ,exec, to fstab and reboot, steam accepts the share. And now after all this effort and work Steam doesn't see shit 0MB Disk space available. Can't install cuz no disk space apparently... oh just a FU*k tone of 10.4 TB of spinning magnest...... i am so angry right now.
Anybody knows something that could help me? I do realise it's very specific even google doesn't know wtf to do when i search for this...

Question: If you have this SMB share mounted as a network drive, does it give you correct disk space metrics either with df or by viewing properties in your file manager? From what I understand, Steam's had problems with ZFS volumes in the past, and they may not be completely resolved as of yet.

Shot in the dark: If the folder you're attempting to get Steam to use is empty, try manually copying a file or two in there and see if Steam reports different disk space.

Edit: Your cifs-utils package is installed and up to date on your client machine, correct?

1 Like

i don't know if anyone uses Neofetch, but i can't seem to get Audacious to lend its info to my neofetch prints. i'm using the latest versions of both.

Back again with video editor issues.

KDenLive: I add clips and stuff, but as soon as I try to add any effects, my most used are text, nothing happens then the app crashes.

Openshot: Its not interactive. The tutorial gets stuck open and I can't do anything but close the app. Running with sudo doesn't do anything either. It doesn't crash, it just doesn't do anything.

I am trying to install unity-editor(the game dev studio not the desktop Package) wiki on to my desktop on Arch, but when it is in the process of installing it shoots this error message

is there anyway to install it onto the same drive but in a different partition? I know the drive should have an adequate 10gb of space.

How big is /tmp

how do I check?

Run:

df -h

tmp might fill up if the build uses more than 7gb of space.

Still need help.

So KDL crashes. This is what I get.

adomas@m00nsh0t:~$ kdenlive
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltopengl.so
  (libmovit.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltopencv.so
  (libopencv_tracking.so.3.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
qt5ct: palette support is disabled
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 679, resource id: 115343387, major code: 155 (Unknown), minor code: 11
KCrash: Application 'kdenlive' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
[1]+  Stopped                 kdenlive

????

is there any way to allow temp more space?
Or is there another way to install it?

I looked up the warning
people said

but how do I do this if I don't have yaourt?

you might be able to change the size in /etc/fstab or remount it with a larger size (have a look online for resizeing /tmp)