The small linux problem thread

Or just from the cmd
shutdown /f /s
for proper shutdown

Check my comment

You are trying to mount your Linux nvme drive twice on /home, the 1TB WD10EZEX's ntfs filesystem is what you want to mount if that's your Drive B Hard drive, also if your /home is already mounted, perhaps you should make another folder inside /home and mount Drive B there.

Do you have a separate /home partition?

if I unmounted the home partition on nvme, I wouldn't cause complete Armageddon?

Edit: It will cause Armageddon

1 Like

can i just delete the partition instead?

Why don't you just mount it in a folder inside /home and recreate all the folders you want there? I'm not sure if you can remount /home on a running system, I get the same error when I try to do it with umount

I think you can do it from a livecd with fstab, but that's probably not the best way, it's also probably a not so good idea to have a ntfs filesystem on your /home partition

Found this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/330356/is-it-bad-to-have-home-on-an-ntfs-partition

So I would just mount it inside a folder in /home called Bdrive or something

1 Like

It looks like you are already looking at how to automatically mount a drive at boot. Also, read up on Linux symbolic links, AKA symlinks and Windows symbolic links.

Create a data partition on Disk B. Format it so that both OS' can access it. For example, W10 can not access a EXT4 partition. Linux can read NTFS, but that may still be considered experimental. Fat32 is safe for both OS'. Create a Documents, Photos, Downloads, Music and etc. folder on Disk B. Copy your data from Disk A and Disk C to Disk B. Go to your W10 install and configure symlinks between Disk A Documents and Disk B documents. Continue for all appropriate data folders. Now go to Linux and create the appropriate symlinks there, as well.

1 Like

Got it!

2 Likes

Lol that's nice, I almost started getting worried that you might have unmounted your boot loader partition and caused a real Armageddon :D

A problem that I have since fixed. On Arch system on a laptop, had xf86-input-synaptics installed, my touchpad didn't register tap to click, and two finger scrolling was inverted. Only settings I could find in the Mouse and Touchpad settings we for sensitivity, setting the left or right click as primary and natural scrolling (Still don't know the difference that makes). Turns out, I had to uninstall Input Synaptics, and install xf86-input-libinput, and Synaptics wasn't supported anymore. That solved the problem. However, upon the next reboot, the touchpad stopped working alltogether. Plugged in a mouse, which worked, and got to trying to solve the issue. Finally gave up trying to figure it out, rebooted, and it worked. Still confused.

Which version of arch are you running?
Artegeros? Manjaro? Arch Anywhere?
I am pretty sure I had a similar issue.
What DE are you using?

b/c if you are using gnome there are two settings. One in the tweak tool

and one in the settings menu

How do I fix text scaling on my 28" 4k monitor? I recall @wendell mentioning that linux had a better display scaling than windows
I have tried looking into the two menus in the tweak tool, but how do I make it so text is nicer in browsers?
current

turning up the font only affected the texts in windows

edit
i am getting likes, does that mean other people have the same problem or did this question turn into a answer?

2 Likes

Just stock standard Arch from archlinux.org, using Gnome. I did not realise that the Tweak Tool had mouse and touchpad settings too. I only tried the settings from the standard settings utility.

I believe text and fonts in browsers are per browser settings, not DE settings. Take a peek through the settings of the browser you're using, you'll find something to help.

Edit: Also jealous of that 4K. Each of those snapped windows look like one of my fullscreen windows :(

1 Like

but what about applications? The text in discord is tiny. Is there something similar to windows where you can zoom by certain factor for all applications?

Seems like this was useful https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/HiDpi
You using Wayland or Cory? Legacy all's not using Wayland may also need their own tweaks

2 Likes

I am using Wayland, I looked into the window scaling, and tried adjusting the font. However, the fonts work on the windows. When using applications like discord or clementine the font is not affected by the scaling from the tweak tool
Setting the font scaling by 4 only made text on top of windows bigger, but not the actual font.
Setting the HiDPI to 2 only made windows bigger

I wonder if Wayland's rendering the browser.. hmm

2 Likes

Could it possibly be how Wayland is rendering the fonts? Does it scale correctly if you use X?