The small linux problem thread

what's X?

X = X11 = X Window System = a display manager for Linux, that allows for the drawing of GUI type items on your monitor.

EDIT: ... for Linux, BSD and Unix-type operating systems ...

3 Likes

Couldn't have said it better myself. Can also be known as Xorg

2 Likes

Hey guys, so im putting Fedora25 on my MacBook Air and not very surprisingly the Broadcom Chip doenst want to play nice. I think i got all the drivers but i cant install them because of the wl-kmod that gives out some strange warnings even as i am installing it as root.

[root@localhost Downloads]# rpm -i akmod-wl-6.30.223.271-7.fc25.x86_64.rpm
warning: akmod-wl-6.30.223.271-7.fc25.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID fa7a179a: NOKEY
error: Failed dependencies:
akmods is needed by akmod-wl-6.30.223.271-7.fc25.x86_64
kmodtool is needed by akmod-wl-6.30.223.271-7.fc25.x86_64
wl-kmod-common >= 6.30.223.271 is needed by akmod-wl-6.30.223.271-7.fc25.x86_64

[root@localhost Downloads]# rpm -i wl-kmod-6_30_223_271-3.el7.elrepo.nosrc.rpm 
    warning: wl-kmod-6_30_223_271-3.el7.elrepo.nosrc.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID baadae52: NOKEY
    warning: user tindall does not exist - using root
    warning: group tindall does not exist - using root

Where did you get it from?

--
And why not use akmod-wl in the rpmfusion repo?

1 Like

the akmod-wl i got from http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/34668447/dir/fedora_other/com/akmod-wl-6.30.223.271-7.fc25.x86_64.rpm.html

but it needs wl mod and the wl mod gives such weird errors.

i check out the akmod-wl rpmfusion repo if that works better!

You should have rpmfusion installed? It's the go to non free repo and supported unofficially. Few clicks to install it.

https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

1 Like

so.... just that i get this straight: redhat doesnt allow some repos and rpmfusion enables them again?

Ayyyyyeeee
Im trying to get manjaro and kali installed (dual boot)on my ssd. When it comes to manually partitioning the disk and adding a bootloader (since kali was installed first)
Must I need to ;

select no bootloader
select my master disk
select the / system (new partition)
If you bros could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.
so far i just rebooted after intalling manjaro and got the kali grub menu with manjaro boot option but when i select it i get a kernel panic;

just looked yeah, I do have Xorg installed and @wendell I have wayland as well

are there any terminal commands I need to use to fix it?

Hey, i'm using fedora 25 now, i updated the whole system a few times without rebooting (about 3 or 4 kernel updates without reboot). Today i noticed my games weren't working, they closed without any warning (could have been like this for weeks though, i don't think i updated the kernel recently), so i decided to reboot.

On boot i get the message A start job is running for ...akmod packages. When i turn off the computer i also get a similar message that "a job is running". Also my videocard drivers seem to be deactivated, when i try to open nvidia's configuration software, i get the message:

When i run nvidia-xconfig, i get

Any idea on how to proceed? All the solutions i found online seem to be highly attached to Ubuntu and since i didn't understand what they were doing i just avoided randomly uninstalling stuff.

As root
'dracut -f'

i installed the non-free repos. also installed akmod from the repos and the braodcom-wl and configured akmods. wl module is in the kernel but not used.

with

sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

i get a new network connection in the settings but not wlan but a "bridge" connection without any recognition of my wlan. but i did found out that my specific braodcom chip isnt supported at all.

so i guess if akmod, wl-mod, loading the kernel module and the networkmanager gui dont work, i just have to use my usb -> ethernet adapter...

which is so ironic because it is not supported by macOS and needs a prop. driver but with fedora it works out of the box.

man, prop. drivers are weird.

edit:

the drivers dont work and thats that.

Problem: virt-manager spits out an error because libvirtd isn't running. sudo libvirtd -d fixes that of course but how do I automate that during boot? I am on manjaro 17 XFCE.

In the terminal
nano ~/.bashrc

and add
sudo libvirtd -d
to the end of the file. Might need the sudo, might not.

EDIT: Or the post below by @Eden is probably much better, my derp

1 Like
sudo systemctl enable libvirtd
1 Like

I love this forum!

boot log errors about COMRESET ata commands failing are indicators of dead SSD and nothing can be done to fix this, correct?

I've got a Samsung 840 that was in my father's computer which is having problems. Obviously, there are no functional backups to speak of and he's not happy about it being broken.

Could be that it4s just not patched. Sadly, you can only patch them on a non-AMD Windows PC.
The problem with the original 8404s was that the original firmware sucked, and that over time the SSD starts choking itself to death. There is a patching application for Linux, but it doesn't work, even if it says it does. I found that out the hard way a couple of years ago when I had similar issues on those first gen 840's.

It's definitely not patched. If it's already gotten this bad will patching it solve the problem while retaining the data?

I've got a windows box for these sort of silly situations. I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks!