The small linux problem thread

its me again :D

so: i installed the amdpgu pro driver 16.6 on fedora 25 and now i get freezes at the login. i can boot in a rescue mode but most commands are turned off so i dont know how to de install the driver.

any idea how i get it fixed?

What do you need the pro driver for?

i want to play rocket league in fedora and i only get 20-40 fps but i have all the necessary libs installed, wayland mesa all up to date even the required xorg files are in place so i figured that i maybe need the driver. guess im wrong because it freezes at login.

have you tried a different distro?

So, I have this problem and it's doing my head in. I tried installing Fedora hat on a laptop of mine that had Ubuntu on it. The install went fine, everything seemed alright, but when I try to boot into the system, I get thrown into emergency mode after about a minute of watching the Fedora hat logo load. I've tried getting different install media, as well as basic troubleshooting and multiple reinstalls. My guess is that Fedora hat isn't creating disk partitions properly. Is there a way you'd recommend I format the disk before installing so Fedora hat doesn't need to reclaim space. OR, should I just partition it manually? Can't I just do a primary Ext4 partition at "/" and then a swap partition following? Similar to Ubuntu based systems?

@Schyken

yeah, just like ubuntu. "/" "/home" swap should do it. while in installation you can choose to partition manually in the fedora installer. its a bit bitchy in the way that it will tell you when your patitions are in the wrong order but will not tell you which order is correct.

1 Like

@Eden @Zoltan @FaunCB sorry to bother you guys but I think you maybe know what I fucked up.

how can I reinstall the OG Wayland that comes with stock-fedora? I have Weston installed with the base xorgx11 stuff gnome3 is also ok. no errors and no dependencies issues.

i installed the 16.60 AMD GPU-pro drivers and that pretty much killed all of it.

when i boot fedora i go to tty and can do work so that's ok, but I'm kinda stuck in where to install working gui.

1 Like

Coming back on the strange issue I'm having. I got fedora to install and work properly, but in the grub menu that loads, there's three options. Fedora workstation, fedora workstation, and emergency mode. the second option works, but the first one doesn't ? any ideas on how to remove the broken one or fix it?

choose the broken one and press 'e' and scroll down. look in the line with 'linux' in it. after that line change 'rhgb quit' to text 3 end with ctrl + x. when it boots into text mode some grapical issue when it doesnt boot then its something else.

1 Like

'text 3' is what Im supposed to use?

What errors do you get from X?

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log | fpaste
fpaste --sysinfo

This usually happens if theres some driver issue or similar.

Once in the backup kernel, run fpaste --sysinfo and past the URL.

Do you have any third party drivers installed?

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/1oGlC-z-RpOxSpdKquVaUl5M1UNdIGYhyRLivL9gydE=/

What kernel version fails?

Can you also do journalctl -xb | fpaste on the broken boot

I can't fpaste 'service unknown'

Oh its probably not on the rescue system.

journalctl -p err

That'll show what errors came up

Also the kernel version?

New photo by Alan Diggs
Kernel 4.8.6-300.fc25.x86_64

Your kernel is ancient. And i think might have been the one that did have an issue. If you boot to a good version and update you might be good.

You might also try the testing kernel

sudo dnf install kernel kernel-devel --enablerepo=updates-testing

Could I just delete the first entry/make the second one default?

Hey, I'm using Fedora 25 and was wondering if I have to keep all of the previous kernel versions. What I mean is, because of how often there are kernel updates, I now have 4 different kernel versions to choose from when I boot. Do I have to keep all of them or I can just 'clean up' the older ones so my system uses the latest one to boot from? Thanks