The small linux problem thread

Have a look at this.

just a text file that has the command that was run and the result of the command.

>Ping google.com
results
results
results
results

all piped into a text document

That is what scrip does. Or am i missing something you want?

When I use script, I only get the following in a text file

starting script
results
results
results
results
end script

I want the ping google.com in there as well

[a@jupiter ~]$ cat typescript 
Script started on Wed 22 Feb 2017 20:24:23 GMT
[a@jupiter ~]$ ping google.com
PING google.com (172.217.23.46) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from lhr35s02-in-f46.1e100.net (172.217.23.46): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=9.83 ms
64 bytes from lhr35s02-in-f46.1e100.net (172.217.23.46): icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=9.75 ms
64 bytes from lhr35s02-in-f46.1e100.net (172.217.23.46): icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=9.77 ms
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2003ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 9.752/9.785/9.833/0.119 ms
[a@jupiter ~]$ exit
exit

Script done on Wed 22 Feb 2017 20:24:44 GMT

This is what you should be getting.

1 Like

oooooooooooh.

When I was using script, I was doing

script -c ping google.com  file

I was doing it wrong.

Ah. I start it with just script then end it with exit

I'm building a new system and this is the first time I've used a SSD. I've decided to put swap and /home on the HDD. I want to put /, and /boot on the SSD. I'm undecided about /var and /tmp. I know these both could benefit from the faster speed of the SSD, but will the constant activity be damaging to an SSD? So I guess my question would be should /var and /tmp be on SSD or HDD? My system will be desktop not server based.

Edit (addition): Thinking about /tmp on tmpfs. I've learned it's been close to being implemented in Ubuntu, but it sounds like it's not enough of a generic solution to be included. I'll have 16Gb of ram so I think I could get away with something like "tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev" in my fstab. Not sure about caps for it, I think it should run just fine without putting limits (default is 50% cap). Thinking /var should be fine on the SSD. This could really speed things up, I'm hoping... Thoughts?

No. That's a myth.

Buy a decent brand, using new tech, and use it as normal. Otherwise whats the point.

1 Like

Samsung EVO, should be good. Thanks for your answer. :)

Yup. I have one it works well.

The newer tech (last few years) is really good. you can write to them 24 hours a day and they'll keep on going for years.

1 Like

Does anybody know why does this command not get permission "sudo modprobe -a wl" the context of it all is how to install a broadcom wireless drivers on fedora and the last step is this command that worked before but doesnt now after an update.

The error: "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'wl' : Permission denied"

I've been having an issue lately with my laptop shutting down a few minutes after I close the lid. It's not going gracefully, and fortunately I only ever have a browser open which restores when I open the lid and the computer automatically restarts (also weird since I do not have the option set to resume on power loss).

I had this issue when I first got it and it was fixed by uncommenting two lines in /etc/systemd/login.conf having to do with HandleLidSwitch. Since I installed Debian everything was fine though and I did not need to do that. That is not working now, however, and the issue persists. What I really don't understand is how everything was ok, and the machine was functioning normally up until I booted into Windows a few days ago.

When I open the lid and the computer automatically powers on I get a brief message about orphaned inodes followed by the usual iwlwifi errors and then everything is fine. I've looked into it a little and there could be an issue with identifying the swap partition in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume, but it seems to be over my head at the moment. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Just sharing a tidbit on getting VR to work on Linux. I use Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 on kernel 4.8.
Precursor and you should know this from getting SteamVR to install, is you must be in the beta for both Steam and SteamVR.

SteamVR sometimes needs a launch command to avoid the 306 compositor error.
If you launch with a gui shortcut (as you should) such as in Gnome, add to the end of the exec command in the .desktop entry STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0.

/usr/share/applications/steam.desktop
Exec=/usr/bin/steam %U STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0

If you are an archaic grump that still prefers CLI then...
$ STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0 steam

what did you write?

The page didn't load correctly so it showed your post as the newest but that was 56 past sago :DDD

I need to make a bootable USB for my macbook but it doesn't get detected. I want to put Mageia on it but it doesn't get detected when I go to the alt menu. Is there a certain way to do this?

thx

If lsblk doesn't show the drive then it's dead

Wow, jumping to the worst.

@FaunCB does the drive get detected in any other computers?

I know macbooks are weird when it comes to how bootable drives are made. test out a few programs to make the bootable drive.

Back when I had a MacBook I had to try a few different "bootable usb drive makers" until I found one that works. Use google to help you find one.

Yeah its the USB I use to install to everything.