The small linux problem thread

You can use https://whoer.net/ to see if the VM is locked down. Myself I have adblock, privacy badger and javascript turned off with a white list on the VM browser.

Not sure why you’d need a second network card (you could do this with virtual interfaces), but you could create a second network namespace containing only the VPN interface

This is roughly what I had in mind, could be simpler but the steps there will get you the rough idea.

I’m revamping my vim completely and now that i’m trying colorschemes, it doing this no matter what the theme is (if the background isnt black). Anyone has a clue as to what is happening or what line i should add to my .vimrc, i really cant seem to find anyoen running into the same problem online, maybe i’m just too retarded and not searching the right thing tho…

Hey, well… this is a pretty bad error message. Have you found a solution as of yet?

if not, look up information on dpkg. Using this, you can install and remove .deb packages. I have run into a similar issue on RedHat. Basically it involves a failure during the yum/apt-get upgrade process. When this failure occurs, you’re stuck in a dependency cycle.

Let us know if you’re still having problems.

Wow I forgot this thread existed LOL. Haven’t seen it in so long.

Hey, thanks for the reply @jebbaxley. I did (maybe) fix it. Made a thread here. I -f installed apt-utils. It did install and I haven’t had any problems yet, but I don’t know if I will run into problems down the line when the next update comes. I am still on version 1.2.24 on both.

1 Like

Glad you hear some updates on your issue Zumps. You went kind of quiet in that thread, not sure if what I had said helped you.

I updated the post, but of course you commenters didn’t get a notification. Didn’t think about it at the time. I did not try to fix the package as you recommended, just forced the update instead. However when the next update comes I anticipate I might need to try your advice, thanks :slight_smile:

without seeing what you have done to your vimrc its really anyone’s guess. have you posted it on github or something? either way if you are using a Color scheme that theme may do something to the background color of the vim window, or will highlight any white spaces in your code. begin checking there.

Ended up switching from ubuntu gnome to antergos, and rxvt unicode seems to handle colors better, and i dont have the problem anymore.

Is there a sort of process to transfer a ZFS pool? My current system (Fedora 23 or 24, can’t remember) doesn’t update properly. I think I posted about it in this thread actually. I just can’t get it to work right. So I want to do a clean install.

What are the proper steps to doing this? I feel like I have imported the pool before, but I am curious since it’s encrypted now. The disk UUIDs shouldn’t change, right? So I can just make a copy of the crypttab and fstab and use them to edit the new system, right? The thing that bothers me is the keyfile that was used when encrypting the disks with LUKS. How do I generate a new one and re-add it to the disks on the new system?

It feels like there are a lot of variables that need to be worked through. Anyone done this?

Bit of an FYI

Debian 9.1 GNOME Desktop
Gnome login screen is horribly laggy and the mouse cursor is invisible. This is caused by the login using wayland by default on hardware that doesn’t support some newer features.

In:
/etc/gdm3/daemon.conf

Uncomment:
WaylandEnable=false

This forces the login to use xorg by default which works for me.

Strange issue that doesnt break the userspace but:

After waking from sleep on 3 different machines running Ubuntu GNOME in 16.04, 16.10 and 17.04 the lockscreen is a gay pride banner with crazy artifacting. Everything works as it should and once you slide it away things are normal.

Alright, I’ve bit the bullet and installed F26 on my main system. It’s nice, but it feels like there are a lot of things that “just work™” on other distros that F26 doesn’t quite have.

First issue is discord. I’m not sure if there are binaries for it somewhere. Lots of resources are referencing vishalv/discord-canary, but that appears to be dead. Any suggestions or am I building from source?

Also, I’m having a bit of an issue with Firefox and media streaming. Plex is giving me stream errors. I think it’s a codec issue, but I’m not sure where to grab them. Chromium isn’t suffering this issue after installing the codec libraries. Any advice here?

Got to say though, VM manager is waaay too easy to work with in fedora. I didn’t even have to assign vfio-pci to my GPU’s, just load the module, enable IOMMU and throw the device into the VM config. What a world we live in!

Discord has a stable native linux client now. The discord-canary was a reference to the beta program they had for linux while it was still in development. You should be able to download it straight from the official repos.
If not on their main page they literally have it in front of your face.

They have a precompiled tarball and a .deb to use.

1 Like

I was looking for a repo package, but this works for the time being. Thanks!

no problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ity bity little problem. ZFS pool mounts and stores files properly, however it does not show up as a mounted volume in debian. I think this will cause issues in the future when trying to setup smb.

Maybe setting up legacy mounting will solve this?

What isn’t showing it as a volume?

show me the output of mount, df, and zfs list

I can’t really say if legacy mounting will solve your problem until I get a bit more info.

• I haven’t really been able to find a consistent answer/solution to my problem via official channels, so I thought I’d ask around.

So, recently I’ve taken to installing Solus MATE on my laptop ( Dell Inspiron 15 7579 ), and I have issues with screen brightness and keyboard backlight. When I boot up or log in, my keyboard backlight will automatically turn on to high. The other issue is that the screen brightness is on high, like, ALWAYS. Though I can adjust keyboard backlight (despite it turning right the fuck back on when I log in again), I can not adjust the screen brightness via the brightness keys on the keyboard or within the GUI. This is an issue that not only occurs in Solus MATE, but also in Ubuntu MATE, Fedora MATE, Linux Mint MATE, and Manjaro MATE, which suggests that this issue is likely more tied into an issue with MATE, especially since this is not a problem with GNOME, Cinnamon, Xfce, KDE, Deepin, or Budgie desktop environments.

PLEASE DON’T SUGGEST XBACKLIGHT - IT’S NOT A SOLUTION, IT’S A HACK. THANK YOU. :wink: