The Ryzen 1800X: AMD's Brand New Flagship

What the heck is going on. The reviews are all over the place.

Gamer Nexus: Dissapointing
Linus, Bitwit, Paul's Hardware: Meh
Joker: Best cpu ever
TTL: Very good cpu

And Joker OCed the 1700 to 3.9 which matches up to the i7 7700K i mean WHAT??

4 Likes

From what I've seen, multithreaded CPU bound games like CS:GO, or any Source game, for that matter, run better on these new Ryzen chips than they do on the 7700K.

I am struggling with this a bit and also trying to consider the new technologies coming down pipe also.

So 1800x and 1700x are practically made for productivity and gaming where gaming takes a second priority, until more games end up utilizing multi threading buying a ryzen 7 series is just for future proofing enthusiast? I'm just waiting until ryzen 5 series comes out along with vega to see a real bang for my buck gaming build.

1 Like

This was my finding as well. Using Linux I pinned programs that kept the cstates idle to manage the core cache paring and the fewer cores but I couldn't push the clocks.

More cache for fewer cores helped quite a bit though.

It also seemed to help out the scheduler as I feel sure the scheduler needs some tweaking on Linux and win

5 Likes

You sir, need an MSI X370 Titanium in your life lol.
Has settings for all the things.

6 Likes

I just read this review and in it the author says:

Therfore imho frame times could be more intersting than pure fps.

6 Likes

But that's because it it's 8c/16T vs 4c/8T.

1 Like

Well that's true, but you can also say the 7700k is faster because of it's higher clock speed. I just wanted to point out that smoothness in games is more important than a high fps count.

2 Likes

Both are important. No point in 60fps if it stutters, and no point in being smooth if it's cinematic framerate.

1 Like

I have done game testing the least because I expected everyone else to.

The .1% worst and .01% worst was tested some places but I haven't seen anything to really describe this and if anything AMD looks slightly worse on paper.

I wonder if the direct nvme interface to the CPU has anything to do with it. On Intel all Io passes through the PCh. Not so on amd

7 Likes

This.

Most people only look at how many frames they can push (which CPU doesn't play much into anymore now that everything is more and more GPU based as far as gaming is concerned). The more important factor for gaming is how smoothly the CPU can play the game not how fast. I'd notice a 'frame hiccup' in a game much more easily than a 5 frame drop (especially if you're up in the 100+ fps range).

2 Likes

That and the fact that it being barely released (time wise) means massive inconsisties in different systems and BIOSes currently.
Wait a few weeks and see what happens, I'm going to update this thread/probably do another review when there are more BIOS updates & things.

I also need to do an overclocking guide at some point here. Which will be odd lol.

2 Likes

AMD in their AMA acknowledged several issues with gaming benchmarks especially.

They believe they are fixable and down to scheduling issues, latency issues and motherboard issues as well as some.optimizations for HT that don't translate well.

Apparently some developers are already working on fixes as are AMD. They don't expect it to be a long term problem.

I don't think these fixes will suddenly add a million fps to gaming in Ryzen but it will certainly help and at least make things more consistent.

Side note I thought the GN review to be a bit overly critical and missing some points.

3 Likes

the scheduling issues because of windows 10 are incredibly annoying
to take a quote from the AMD review guide:

Make Sure the windows 10 High Performance power plan is being used. This can significantly improve performance by disabling core parking and encouraging more aggressive boost frequency residency

and also

Make sure the System has Windows has High Precision Event Timer (HPET) disabled.

So it may take a few weeks for everything to get truly ironed out for an accurate view of performance to be had.

also

yes. 100% yes. So far the OC3d review is the best I've seen, takes the good and the bad into account and has all the numbers ever lol.

2 Likes

Anyone done windows 7 testing?

no reason to tbh
:P

The hardware Canucks review was pretty good. Also had some.of the highest gaming numbers other than Joker and Computer Base.

CB is awesome tbh.

3 Likes

Does it even work?