The Ryzen 1800X: AMD's Brand New Flagship

maybe
but i have no urge to try it tbh... three reasons
-AMD isn't going to support it
-theres this magical thing called windows 8.1
-meh?

-theres this magical thing called windows 8.1

Windows 10 is the magical OS. You turn your back and POOF its there!

11 Likes

AM4 seems a better place to be than 1151 or 2011. Plus an 8 core chip or the price of a quad with the only trade off being a 10-15% drop in frequency. It's not even a choice.

Seems AMD really have pulled a rabbit out the hat with Ryzen.

3 Likes

For a work horse CPU it is hard to look past +$500USD in savings. Everyone goes half the price but let that sink in $500 is sometimes a whole PC upgrade budget.

Will be interesting to see how gaming only benchmarks settle.

can you try doing kvm with iommu? AMD-Vi seems to be missing, can you try?
~ its my selling point ~

also is there a way to hard-lock frequency on all cores to sit @3.9GHz / 4GHz constantly / disable amd's Wattman / maybe use wattman to lock the steps to single clock speed and volt?

(maybe aida64 you can use cpu test to record core clock speed in graph formation ~ i'd want to see how stable core clocks are.)

ppl beat on dead horse about 1080p and bottlenecking gpu's with 1440p and 4k benchmarks are pointless, and i get that - but I am solely playing @ 1440p now... and inside kvms anyway. It has little meaning what they perform on 720p or 240p :)

I haven't really looked through the whole thread, but any luck on W8.1? I'll be damned if I have to use W10.

I'm at 3.9 ghz stable- in the OP thats what I did with the blender render. Will see about iommu at some point.

@Cavemanthe0ne can you do some temp testing with different workload types? I would love how it does thermal wise while playing AAA titles as well as synthetics, as all I can really find are synthetic tests that have the chip close to the 80c~ tj max.

1 Like

I just got my NH-U12S and the mounting kit so sure

Yay that'll be good. I've seen a lot of sites using watercoolers, so it'll be good to see how Ryzen fairs with a middle of the pack cooler.

well blender is able to utilize it in 100% thus clocks would stay up; i'm thinking in games clocks will actually be much lower; also if you can could you pick a game and stand in one place without moving for couple min and see how the fps go up and down ~ clocks etc?

Looks like I now know the CPU for my next build. My 5 year old Sandy-e 3930K has been well and truly left in the dust. Not sure if that is just my bruised ego, it's not like my PC feels slow or anything. Anyhow it will be a little way off as I have to scrounge the money together...

1 Like

the nh-u12s is nice
just hit 4 ghz 1.35 volts at maxes at 80C
not bad
the enermax i had on it before with zipties would sometimes hit84+ C and crash
example of Noctua cooler:

tbh kinda concerning if its hitting 80c tj max just over the span of a cinebench run

that is a 11% overclock on a decent air cooler... what are you expecting? i mean not every chip is sandy bridge :P
To get a stable, every day OC of 4+ Ghz, AIO/Bigass air cooler is probably required
for 4.2+ probably custom water.

1 Like

also try to take these early results with a MASSIVE grain of salt as BIOS updates are seriously affecting things.

update:
@TheCaveman i put a second fan on the CPU cooler and it dropped to a max of 78 C under load.

2 Likes

Still 78c under load is higher than I'd like. I just wonder how much a bios update can do. I'd bet its a symptom of the finfet manufacturing more than anything else tbh...

THIS IS ON A MID RANGE AIR COOLER WITH A 11% OC ON THE CPU
I dont see you complaining when a GPU that overclocks by 11% on a decent mid range cooler gets rather hot thats expected....
why are you complaining.... i dont get it... this ... ..... ...............................................
also the BIOS updates will drop temps, or at the least make them read more accurately.

80c~ is tj max for these chips, 78c REALLY isn't that far from it. I would expect a 95 watt chip to not hit 78c from a single cinebench run with a good mid range cooler.

did you read this part

that is why i said to take the results with a grain of salt.