The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

Aahha, LOL. I actually did that. A 1080 would have been more than twice as much of course, but would have been sweet.

Honestly got the money saved, but going to wait until the software bugs are worked out.
No way a launch like ZEN is gonna be smooth.
dont get me wrong ZEN is the best thing to happen to the PC market since the RX480.
Monopoly is really bad, reallllly bad, i wanna see Intel, and NVIDIA choke on their monopoly money earned sofar.

FTFY

1 Like

Intel apparently have issues with moving to 10nm, so they are kinda stuck at 14 ATM. And keeping in mind they had issues with 14nm and AMD is already claiming better efficiency and smaller die size, intel are not far from choking. AMD just needs to deliver. There are issues with the Atoms, there are issues with the fabrications, there are issues in the enterprise market for Intel...
So yeah... If AMD hits, and don't bulldozer itself, Intel may already be in a pickle.
Nvidia on the other hand is a difficult task. It has been lying and lying and cheating and people still buy them. Don't tell me AMD needs to provide alternative. AMD have been providing alternatives all that time... 80% market share. It's consumer's fault.

4 Likes

Ryzen should make Broadwell-E prices to drop.
So i can buy a 6800K for nice money.

1 Like

Perhaps that's their plan, focus on one enemy, then the other, instead of waging a war on two fronts.

This is getting off-topic, but that's because the people don't properly research their components. They just believe whatever they're told. And if Nvidia didn't lie, cheat, and sabotage, the consumer wouldn't have to perform nearly as much due diligence, because you wouldn't have so many reviews that were bought and paid for, nor have to read up on how they stacked the deck against AMD. Oh, then there's the fanboys. Nobody wants to put that kind of time into buying computer parts, nor should they have to.

1 Like

I dont think that it might be interesting in my situation to jump on a Ryzen 1700X or 1800X,
instead of Broadwell-E.
Allthough if the performance turns out to be really compatitive, then it might be worth concidering.
However since i allready have a X99 board, its probablly hard to jump on a Ryzen 8 core for les, then X99.

I am tempted to wait as well, as even though my cpu is over 6 years old at this point, there is nothing demanding i upgrade, but with the Trump presidency and his demand for American made products and insistence on taxing everything foreign built, I am afraid that in the near future there will be tariffs making upgrading my PC significantly more expensive. So as long as he doesn't drop the Tariff hammer before i can upgrade, i'm probably upgrading with Zen.

what do you mean? If your X99 8 core option is more expensive and similarly performing than the Ryzen 1800, why would you spend the extra money?
Hypothetically.
My guess is you mean features. What kind of features do you mean?

Na i mainly mean that i allready have a X99 motherboard.
I cannot afford a 6900K or 5960X, unless Ryzen is gonne cause massive price drops on those.
But i personally dont really think so.
So wenn it comes to X99 i´m basiclly looking at 5820K / 6800K´s.
But those chips are currently €425,- and €450,- still.
The 6 core 12 threads Ryzen for less then €300,- could be appealing.
However if i have to buy a am4 board, then its probably not gonne be cheaper for me.
Because if i buy a motherboard, then it wont be a cheap piece of crap.

1 Like

I'm prepared to jump on building as soon as I can found a local(swedish) distributor that has the CPU and some motherboard stocked. I'm estimating that the motherboard might become the Asus Prime X370, but availability will the most important factor. For the CPU I will pick the top or second from the top model depending on the final price and specs.

The rest of the parts are already decided or bought. I'll start building as soon as I can get a motherboard. :-)

Fractal Design Define R5 in White. (Roomy and dampened, a known good option and I wanted something not black.)

EVGA SuperNova G3 750W (Have a G2 right now and am pleased. 750W is overkill but it didn't cost much extra)

4 x 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz low profile Corsair RAM. (Was dreaming of ECC RAM, but can't wait for the official specs coming out for that and RAM prices just keep rising so that's the first part I bought. 64GB will be fun to tinker with, that's all.)

Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB M.2 (Most of my SSD's will be moved over from my current main build, but I needed a new system drive anyway.)

Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 (Special Edition for AM4, not out yet but should be in time. If I can find the AM4 retention kit separately I might go for a NH-D15S instead, but I can't wait for Noctua to ship it for free after the purchase so I'd have to buy it.)

Moving over my R9 Fury graphics card, Soundblaster Z soundcard, and a bunch of SSD's. The current i5-4690K @ 4.5 GHz will be interesting to keep for comparisons and as a second capable gaming system. Probably getting a new graphics card around summer.

1 Like

I think it actually might... A friend of mine reminded me... It was AMD with the RX480, that outperformed the crazy 350$ GTX970...
And now we have 480 for 200-250 and 1060 for 250-300... otherwise we would have had 970 equivalent for 400$...

Yeah the US pricing are really nice.
Unfortunatlly EU pricings are kinda crappy still.
RX480´s are still going for about €280,- to €300+.
Atleast if you want a decent one.
Wenn it comes to gpu´s, a RX480 is probably what i wanne go with.
Because i dont really game much, and wenn i game its 1080p.

It would be nice if we see a massive drop on 5960X or 6900K´s.
Or maybe if they would popup on the second hand market.

Ah, but AMD has said...

But I don't know how frequently you upgrade your CPU. If you do so often, it might be worth looking into, as AMD isn't constantly changing sockets like Intel does.

I dont really upgrade that often.
My current setup is now 4 years old.

I don't really think you will have luck with the second hand market. I mean nobody will sell their cpu to spend money for the same performance. The price drop may be a thing though...

Oh yeah... I know about that. It's sad that i am looking at Aliexpress and can buy things from China cheaper, than the local stores...

Mine is 3 :P

Yeah i have a X99 board gifted to me.
I only had to pay arround €45-, for import tax.
So that wasnt that bad.
And i basiclly want to use it.

1 Like

There really isn't much to argue in terms of price performance ratio then. :) I think @psycho_666 is correct that you won't see lots of used X99 chips on the market because of RYZEN. But maybe a few, enthusiasts sometimes do unreasonable things just because, sooo .....

1 Like

I cannot see ryzen being faster and lower cost than two socket 2011 xeons.

It totally isn't faster. I checked. ;) But it will be faster for games.

Don't forget, dual 2011 boards are not cheap.