The no BS Ryzen Thread: All official information on Ryzen here

Ouch! I ordered the 1700 for 359,-.

It's painful... I'll just save up until Q2...

@Cavemanthe0ne do we have any official Ryzen based APU information yet? I am actually very exited about the possibilities of a Ryzen+Vega APU in a tiny box.

ya, bitten by the bug. :)

Is there any info on hardware passthrough for x370 or b350 chipsets?

1 Like

I believe Wendell is going to work with that soon with some kind of insider help. He mentioned it in the other Ryzen thread here: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ryzen-is-upon-us/113290/128

2 Likes

So is all this pre-ordering going on because AMD might not be that confident in what they are offering and want to see what the real interest level is? Put your money where your mouth is or shut up?

1 Like

I think it's more like taking advantage of every ounce of rocket boosted hype they can. In a nutshell AMD just beat Intel for literally half the cost. They lifted the info embargo on R7 processors earlier than the tech press expected (judging by the rushed nature of articles and videos, and a few things said within to the effect of "we didn't expect to be talking about this yet").

"Hey we just cut the price of computing in half and oh yeah, you can sign up to buy one now."

It's very effective.

2 Likes

Pretty much but he is also right. It let's them see stock numbers and move products around to help eliminate supply problems.

1 Like

I am glad AMD came out with Ryzen a week before GDC. Hopefully their slot at GDC will be mostly be about Vega.

6 Likes

I'll keep an eye out for it ;)

Sir. That is a rumor.
You can post it in the other thread if you like but not here.

It's free money for them... They are still working on loss even for the last few quarters, so they can use every cent they can get their hands on.
I am not a fan of pre-orders before the reviews are out, no matter games, movies, hardware, whatever, so I am strictly against it, but hey, not my money...
When GTX 1080 came out lots of people were standing in lines for hours during the night to be the first to grab the crap, at least this way people don't stay in lines for hours...

You have no idea how stoked I am for this. My current system is an FX-9590 with an R9 Fury and I can't wait to get my hands on an 1800x. At this point I'm just waiting to see the Level1 video so I can get a gauge for Linux support. I'm assuming it won't be any good for a few months so I'll end up waiting till I can actually boot my system on the new hardware before I go out and spend like $1k upgrading but damn I'm excited.

1 Like

I will remove it, but it is no rumour.....

so on the PCIe lanes issue with the current Ryzen parts. The Motherboards are only sort of the limiting factor. what needs to be remembered is that the Ryzen processors themselves have a lot of the PCIe controllers built into them. The Ryzen processors are semi SOC in design and as such if there is a sufficient demand on the consumer end for more PCIe lanes then it should mainly just be an upgrade in Processor and a bios upgrade on the motherboard. From reading the Leaks reports from conference goers and the like over the past year and a half the x370 chip set controls some of the added features like undedicated PCIe lanes and a DMI like interface for the back I/O panel and ram overclocking.

Secondarily the AM 4 chipsets are not just for Ryzen but also for Bristol Ridge and Ravens Ridge APU's so the inclusion of Display outputs is intended for those. it would also not surprise me to see the Consumer release of Bristol Ridge APU's in 2-3 months as they have had their OEM release multiple months back.

Specifically SLI plus raid 0 is what I'm getting at

RAID 0 is a bad idea unless you purposely want to lose your data. I've done SSDs in RAID 0 before and I've lost the array more often than not.

If you're adamant on losing your data, you're going to want to wait until the server/workstation parts come out for two PCIe x4 M.2 slots. From what I've seen every Ryzen motherboard so far that has two M.2 slots have one PCIe 3.0 based slot and one SATA based slot.

3 Likes

I´ve been running two 256GB 830´s in RAID0 since end of 2012 and only did one reinstall for switching to Win10. Guess I´m just lucky?

3570k@4GHz on an ASUS P8Z77-V LX with 32GB and 2x WD30EFRX in RAID1, for reference.

Correct.

On SATA you actually have a benefit using raid0: speed.
@net200777 is talking about NVME raid0. And that is just stupid.