The no BS Ryzen Thread: All official information on Ryzen here

The 9590 was also slower at 5Ghz than a stock 4770k... Who cares the clockspeed when the performance was is what it is? At least on 7700k at 5Ghz the performance really is monstrous for a quad core, and is as good as you can still get for pure gaming...

2 Likes

My point exactly...
The guy talked about 990FX - a technology from 2012 or somewhere there. It was different technology, it was different time... It was different PCI-E revision, it was completely different.

Maybe. I had a Samsung 830, decent SSD.

I had a RAID 0 array get buggered three times in one week. And that was on a workstation motherboard with a Xeon, ECC RAM, and prosumer SSDs. Switched to JBOD and never looked back (and never had drive issues).

What ? 8350 mis click meant for the one above.

I run raid 0 quiet a bit with no issue. The point I'm trying to get at is is there enough bandwidth for RAID 0 NVME me and SLI 2 way yet 3-way?

Maybe not yet but there will be a time when it goes horribly wrong, Dmitry from Hardware Canucks tripped the power on his machine and lost 600GBs of production data from two SSDs in raid0, Barnacules did the same thing with 4 HDDs and lost all of his data, raid0 literally goes against two main principles of data storage, that is redundancy and reliability, raid0 isn't redundant or reliable. It isn't a question of if it goes wrong but when.

1 Like

I wouldn't keep anything important on it..

I once had 6 of those junky old 80gb sata HDDs in RAID
it worked great and all until the motherboard sata controller died lmao
that was an interesting day
(yes the mobo had a dedicated RAID controller but then it died lol)

1 Like

Has everyone completely forgotten that this was supposed to be the no BS Ryzen thread? So why did everyone post all their unrelated posts that should be in Off-Topic?

I mean it's kindof on topic. I just didn't want rumors/leaks, or fighting occurring which hasn't really happened .. much,... so.

1 Like

About preorder:

OCUK claims only the most expensive Asus board overclocks beyond 4 GHz. So I'm in no hurry ordering anything.
Also little word on what RAM will work at what freq. Look at ASRock's spec pages (scroll down to memory):
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/#Specification

At the higher freq only two DIMM's are supported. Manual is the same. Haven't found any memory QVL yet. Asus has no manuals available, although they claim support for higher freqs. So does MSI, but no spec/QVL and I can't find any tables about RAM in manuals? Maybe I'm blind.

The MSI Titanium has a "Game BOOST Knob". Some auto-overclock thing, and ofc you can set it to 11...
Max is 4.4 GHz on an 8-core. The ones with less cores are all lower.

Edit: Yes I'm blind or they just added:

Notice the checkmarks to the right. Only 2133 and 2400 RAM is supported for four DIMMs. :-/
And max 4GB per DIMM when using all four slots? Please, it can't be this bad can it?

Edit2: Theory: firmware is early yet, later firmware will have more validations for more RAM.

Wait , so one of the best mobos only allows for 4.4 ghz oc?

And it only supports Ram at 2133 and 2400 frequencies?

This isnt looking so hot now...

Edit: Just saw your edit. Still the low OC ceiling kind of bums me out. 4.4 isnt baaaaad but as long as games are still being coded so primitively then we ain't getting no types of performance.

you realize that ghz doesnt mean much at all the performance does right?
at stock, the single core performance is that of the broad well E intel chips at least in Cinebench... and the 5960x/6900K only top out at 4.5 Ghz as well usually.

1 Like

True, but chips like the 1600 and 1700x are positioned against the 7700k, which will game better if the 1600 and 1700x can't oc well to compensate.

Well that alone isnt bad no. It's the combination of games not making use of extra cores that has me judging the OC capabilities so heavily.

If single thread was a little stronger then I would feel okay sitting tight with a ryzen until games start to run better with more cores. But for whats available now, im worried about giving up some performance due to the clock speeds.

It's their auto-overclock feature. You do it all manual if you want.

'bout RAM

A comment from Asus:

"
I’ve decided to provide some recommendations on DDR4 limitations concerning AM4 currently.

As it stands the AMD code has restricted RAM tuning options which means many RAM kits at launch will not be compatible. This is the same for our competitors also.
What we recommend is the following:
If fully populating a system with 4 DIMMs (2DPC), use memory up to a max of 2400MHz.
If using 1DPC (2 DIMMs) ensure they are installed in A2/B2 and use memory up to max of 3200MHz.

The indication I have received from HQ is that AMD has focused all their efforts on CPU performance so far and will release updated code in 1~2 months when we expect improved DDR4 compatibility and performance."

In short if filling all 4 DIMM's set your speed to 2400MHz and work up from there.
If using 2 DIMM's put them in the A2/B2 slots and a max of 3200MHz should be possible.

In our testing only the Crosshair board achieved 3000-3200MHz, the others were in the 2400-2666MHz range.

BIOS updates will come!

So best be patient :)

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Kiss that array good night, every night.

people are using broad well E for streaming and gaming just fine, why does it matter that
oooh skyline can hit this frequency
Ryzen is a different architecture
it's competitive ... at 3.0-4.0 ghz ...
whereas the 7700k is marginally faster single core ... but has half the cores... for the same price... (1700)
again using cinebench to compare here
and the 1800x is going to be half the price of the 6900k and at least in Cinebench performs better/the same.

@DerKrieger get in here lol

Huh? No I am with him on this. For pure gaming the 7700K is better. It has better IPC at an architectural.level and clocks much higher. That matters in applications that only use a few cores.

Doing anything else though? The Ryzen wins clearly. I know I'd much rather have more cores. Plus most games are GPU bound anyway so the effect will be even less.

As far as I'm.concerned all of Broadwell E just became impossible to sell. The 7700K is still something to consider but anything X99? Nope.

Yeah. But how much better is the thing.
Also the overclocking argument is what i was more saying you should offer thoughts on.