The no BS Ryzen Thread: All official information on Ryzen here

Yeah the up comming weeks, i dont have to be bored definitelly.
There is allot of stuff to look at.

1 Like

I mean the sata one
Which is called a bunch of things
I thought it was 2280 but not entirely sure, annoying naming schema for m.2 drives is annoying :P

2280 is just drive length me thinks.

But yeah AM4 can do SATA or PCIE M.2

On an unrelated note the bitching and whining going on in the AMD subreddit is off the charts. Like yesterday they could do no wrong now they are idiots and Ryzen is dumb and going to fail because they can't buy quad cores right now...

1 Like

Lolwut
Just because AMD only has three CPUs for launch so far
And they are high end
I
WAT
Do they like AMD or not lol....

But is a bit off topic.

Yeah idk they all feel "betrayed" or some shit lol

But the long wait for quad cores points to the idea that they will be their own die. Likely RR but with the GPU turned off.

Yields be too good for AMD to use an 8 core die

1 Like

Thank you. I am not the only one with misgivings about this. It is not so much about now as later as the platform ages and technologies improve or change. Limited expansion and trade offs for this or that make these mbs a little hard to swallow.

But didn't AMD say ages ago that the launch of Ryzen will be the enthusiast stuff first? It isn't like AMD lied and said they'd be quad-cores at launch. They stated their position on the launch months ago.

It's literally more than Z170. This platform, despite the power of the CPU, isn't aimed at X99.

Really there is plenty of expansion even with dual GPUs which less and less people are using anyway...

In 3 years you're not gonna suddenly have 8000 more expansion cards.

If you desperately need 100 PCIE lanes wait for the server/workstation stuff. Which of course is going to be much more expensive

3 Likes

We about to find out :)) Still strikes me as setting for less than what we use to have. I am certain i am not some edge case that fills all slots plus storage plus cf.

Of course we still have to wait for the first real thirdparty reviews.
But from what Linus showed in his video, it really looks promissing.
I trully didnt expect those prices.
The performance is a bit in the line of what we expected it to be.
And the platform feutures are just up to todays standards for the most part.
So thats not really that mindblowing.
But those prices are definitelly something that i didnt expect atall.
Never the less still allot of cool stuf to look into.

It's basically Z270 motherboards, with Haswell-E/Broadwell-E level performance for the price of a used IvyBridge-E/X79 system.

Pretty good to me

3 Likes

THANK YOU

That's exactly what I've been saying since the "leaks" started, yet it always seemed to fall on deaf ears.

It isn't less than we had and yes you are an edge case.

Too many people on this forum are trapped in the bubble. This is a tech enthusiast forum. This is not what ordinary people are like. Most people don't even have GPUs or an SSD for gods sakes. Multi GPU is incredibly rare. As is any form.of upgrade or expansion.

Even then you could plug in two GPUs an M.2 drive fill up the other slots with whatever you want and still use 4 SATA devices...

1 Like

This is true.

AMD does not aim for the X99 platform, but hopes to compete with Intel when Intel finally releases what they have been holding back on the consumer level SKU's.

Intel will react with similar offerings, and have a more mature platform to derive these from. AMD has basically now equally the IPC performance of existing Intel consumer SKU's, but is offering a higher core count. Intel has been earning profits in spades over the last years by selling ever smaller cheap silicon because they had the IPC level for a long time. The only thing Intel has to do, is spend some of that money to undercut AMD in higher core count consumer SKU's for a lower price, and explore the limits of how low AMD can go... wanna bet how that is going to end lol?

You haven't seen any mind blowing thunderbolt 3 devices because thunderbolt 3 practically doesn't exist. If motherboard manufacturers would stop dragging their feet, we would definitely see a wider adoption.

I think thunderbolt 3 will definitely start to permeate the market when we see the iphone 8. I think the iphone 8 will have thunderbolt 3 to play nicely with the macbook pro. I think more laptop manufactures will adopt the technology, and then we will sort of see the flood gates open.

32 lanes for the pcie slots is only pointless for the gamer market. For the higher end market (which the 1800x is marketed towards), its pretty easy to use 32 lanes.

I have a friend who could easily use up 4 gpus for 3d rendering. I personally would like a couple of gpus and then a handful of networking cards. I am sure some other people might enjoy some raid 0 nvme setup.

The possibilities are endless.

Yeah so why should AMD even bother? They should just go out of business now and save everyone the trouble!

AMD can make a difference in lower SKU's, like they always have. The Achilles's Heel of the Intel product portfolio has always been the tremendous number of SKU's, and they can only go so low in price because they can't compete with their own products in their own range, they still have to diversify based on price. AMD traditionally uses that to undercut Intel in lower spec chips. The other side of the coin with that, is that silicon pretty much costs the same per square millimeter everwhere, and AMD has to take less profit per SKU to compete with Intel in such a market scenario.

That's why these AMD Ryzen parts are so expensive at launch, they have to grab what they can before Intel reacts lol.

Yep the prices are great definitelly.

1 Like

@Zoltan @DerKrieger
Stop it.

@Tjj226_Angel
That is a rumor thread you linked, but ill let it fly because you brought up a good point about the thunderbolt so.

You have to be consequent. You created a thread you said would only be objective info on Ryzen, but it has become a kind of bar conversation in which people are made excited over non-confirmed suggestive content that could be linked to so-called official facts (which is then nothing but AMD marketing material to be honest, nothing objective about it, nothing factual about it at this point in time), and people are encouraged to get into a kind of preordering frenzy, and you've admitted your affiliation to the Red Team in the OP... I'm not sure I find that entirely ethical to be honest, and I think this thread really needs some healthy relativity. I don't want to throw the mod book at you, because I understand excitement for technology and all, but come on man, you have to be consequent!