The no BS Ryzen Thread: All official information on Ryzen here

But why is the picture basically done in crayon XDDDDD

yup which is why i ended up deciding not to wait for naples as Ryzen has just enough PCIe lanes to let me run a graphics card or 2 and wifi card and video capture for my editing workstation.

just need some real world reviews of the processors now.

i'll be taking 1700x

and this mobo from msi

1 Like

So finally :) New egg

Check my post in the other thread if you want links to all of the currently listed motherboards on Newegg.

Amazon is worthless at specs :(

lol Kyle

yes is semi off topic oh well

also that looks like it will be really good way to go @anon5205053

1 Like

Any caveats to the m.2 ? Disabling sata ect...

don't need m2; want 2 full pci-e x16

not that I am aware of. there are 24 PCIe gen 3 lanes on the chip 16 usable by the PCI slots, 4 lanes for M.2 and 4 for sata and other I/O.

So if I read the OP's official information correctly, there is a 52% theoretical performance increase per core over excavator.

So the 8350FX is now 150 EUR incl. tax, and has 8 cores, and runs easily at 4.8 GHz, so where is the new Ryzen part with eight physical cores at 4.8 GHz that costs 228 EUR incl. tax? Or am I missing something?

1 Like

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?
I kinda think I might but not sure at all

the pci-e config states, that it shares resources m2 with 2nd pci-e x16; making it x4

8350 has 8 bullshit (opinion) cores with shared resources (fact).
1700 has 8 cores without shared resources and two threads each.

If the SMT in Ryzen performs as well as the SMT on Intel the 1700 will have performance inline with a processor with around 13-14 single-threaded cores.

So yeah. More performance = more money.

And that's completely disregarding the updated connectivity that comes with a platform that's not 4+ years old.

1 Like

That given the specs, and given the fact that 8350FX is tried and trusted and still offers more than enough performance for 99% of users, especially in linux, the 8350FX might be a hell of a better deal, depending on your use case scenario.

I think those prices are really expensive for the specs in the present market circumstances. These chips are unsafe against AnC and will never be fixed, and that is a fact that is more certain than the performance claims, and it is known even before the chip is even available. An 8350FX is not the best deal in my opinion, a 6300FX is about 80 EUR incl. tax or an 6350FX is about 95 EUR incl. tax, and those are 95W parts just like the new chips so are a lot cheaper in terms of mobo and cooling solution. And they are just as (un)safe as the new Ryzen parts.

I'm just saying there are plenty of rational solid reasons not to get overexcited lolz

Edit: also, if I recall correctly, initially the 8350FX was sold for 330 EUR when it was new, 250 EUR 6 months later. And that was the top of the line. I think AMD has aimed really high with pricing on Ryzen lol, and that they don't have the market share nore the technical experience to warrant those high prices.

I think you have great knowledge and I respect you.

But I think AMD is doing the right thing here, beating Intel while offering much cheaper CPUs. Of course they could sell them for less, but AMD is still a company that needs to make a profit.

1 Like

Absolutely, and AMD was also the inventor of the 1000 USD consumer-grade "enthusiast" CPU back in the day, Intel just learned from AMD as far as pricing consumer SKU's goes.

I'm just saying that - for the 99% of consumers who don't need the added performance - it's maybe very useful to take advantage of the old tech while they still can. Everyone has to decide for themselves though. I still know a lot of people who are rocking Phenom II X4 and X6 machines and have no urge whatsoever to upgrade.

Edit: and "beating Intel" is realistically not going to happen. Intel has the funds, the intentions and the lobbies in place to prevent that from happening, and Intel has one big advantage: Intel products are available everywhere. You can literally go into a store in a country town of Zimbabwe and buy a modern Intel CPU and everything you need around it. AMD has always had huge availability problems. I'm most certainly not a fan of Intel, not by a long shot, but in all fairness, they have invested in the market in a way that few high tech hardware companies have.

1 Like

Absolutely, my current PC is mostly out of used parts (i5 4460 & R9 290). Most people will buy what is advertised well and maybe never need that much CPU horsepower.

But the point is, we are talking about the top of the line here, AMD has just launched the fastest 8 Core consumer CPU, as it seems. So thats a thing.

Sweet. Can you do a build log? I'm very interested, and I'm a bit of a MSI whore, so very much curious how it goes for you. I plan to build, but it'll be a few more months for me.

yeah but it'll take me a while, i'd need am4 cpu bracket; so it may last well into 2nd half of march. Unless I use zip-ties.

1 Like