The no BS Ryzen Thread: All official information on Ryzen here

Yeah, it isn't really a contest for pure gaming. Over 50% of the 7700K samples Siliconlottery has tested overclocks to 5 GHz. Nothing "marginal" about that massive single thread advantage.

Well yeah I'm not contesting that the 1800x, 1700x, and 1600 are better cpus than the 7700k overall. The point is that in gaming where single thread reins Supreme, the 7700k will have a demonstratable advantage IF the Ryzen parts can't OC well to makeup the single thread disadvantage.

I expect Ryzen to OC to about 4.3-4.5 max.

Which is about what 8 core Broadwell E does.

The lower core chips will probably hit 4.4-4.7 which is plenty

7700k will still win single core fairly easily but there is more to consider than just that

Tbh it's interesting that most sites actually bench on X99 rather than a 4 core i7 even though that's a better choice

I think they'll be worse off actually. I don't think a chip with one borked core per CCX will overclock any better. But speculation.

Why Rumors and Speculation in:

The No BS Ryzen Thread

??????

i was just looking at the cinebench+handbrake scores that were released so far lol
bad @Pholostan bad
lol

Umm 6 and 4 core CPUs always overclock better. Like it's pretty well.known. More power to go around.

The 4 cores are also their own die. They aren't lasered off 8 cores.

BAD @DerKrieger
wrong thread for that

This was the part i was mostly concerned with. If the Ryzen can in fact cut this down to very negligible amounts, then for my uses personally, i would not benefit much from all it's cores until devs start making the change to a core-centric development style.

But alas, we shall wait 4 more days.

You literally asked for my opinion about how well Ryzen will overclock (all speculation at this point) and now are repremanding me? Aight. You were literally speculating yourself lmao

Seriously the thread is already filled with speculation. You're shoveling shit against the tide here.

1 Like

i asked for you to
-__-
whatever

This. Those thoughts inherently contain speculation about overclocking performance.

Sorry if I misunderstood exactly what you were asking. But the point still stands. In single threaded applications unless Ryzen can hit 5.1ghz (it can't) the 7700K will be faster. That doesn't make it a better CPU overall but is something to consider

1 Like

Right, the 7700k is the best for my applications right now.

I dont know if this falls under speculation, but is there evidence of games moving over to preferring more cores within the next year? Cuz that could make a difference in my decision.

It isn't speculation.

Games already are. BF1 for example scales well across cores. As do most games running DX12 and Vulkan. More games will support more cores relatively soon as we have seen from releases and game engine documentation. . So Ryzen will get better.

At the moment though or if you use single threaded apps the 7700K is better for those tasks. However I'd argue overal the Ryzen processor is better. Any multitasking at all will favor Ryzen

You have an official source on that? I've only seen speculation so far.

Edit: According to https://www.techpowerup.com/230916/pricing-of-entire-amd-ryzen-lineup-revealed

The quad-core Ryzen lineup is built by disabling one of the two 4-core CCX complexes on the 14 nm "Summit Ridge" silicon, and feature 8 MB of L3 cache.

So basically the 7700k is better for gaming until i open up skype too? Or is it like... gaming + stream + spotify levels of multitasking?

Speculation but it is heavily supported by information we can infer.

I'd tell you but @Cavemanthe0ne will staple my dick shut and feed me to some wolves

2 Likes

10/10 best quote

3 Likes

More the latter but if you plan on doing anything other than gaming and browsing, such as any content creation, or heavy multitasking the Ryzen CPU will.be better.

That being said most games are GPU bound anyway. Ryzen won't bottleneck GPUs so in many cases game.performance will be largely similar.

Not according to TechPowerup:

The quad-core Ryzen lineup is built by disabling one of the two 4-core CCX complexes on the 14 nm "Summit Ridge" silicon, and feature 8 MB of L3 cache.

And about inferring, it would be much more expensive for AMD to make a single CCX die.