Return to Level1Techs.com

The ebook thread

So I finally got some e-ink to not fill shelves with books. I got a Kobo specifically to make uploading easier than Amazon- and on that note I propose a thread dedicated to posting those sweet epub/pdf deels out there.

I’ll start, a good python book that is free.
https://www.py4e.com/book.php

Both epub and PDF. Strangely the epub did not load into Google books (fails) but the PDF does. To the kobo’s credit, both loaded up fine.

I’ve seen a number of linux, programming etc book bundles listed in various threads here, lets light this up!

9 Likes

moved to books category

6 Likes

Humble Bundle, specifically the humble book bundle, often have deals on tech related books. Got a nice stash of e-books from there.

Slightly off topic

I’ve got one of those Kobo e-readers too (aqua 2 I think), in the settings you can enable beta features including a web browser which is really fun to mess around with on an e-ink display!

6 Likes

Yeah Humble Bundle came up a lot when I searched this forum for the mentions I’ve seen in the past- unfortunately the windows closed already. But I will be ready to pounce when new ones come up- I’ll be keeping an eye out for @AdminDev and @sgtawesomesauce 's recommendations as I’m interested in powershell, various coding languages, active directory, bash, *nix etc to get loaded up.

2 Likes

Do you want a list of stuff? What programming languages?

Dammmmmn!

3 Likes

Python mostly. I want to get stronger on PowerShell, Bash and SQL (SQL in hopes of understanding Splunk Processing Language better). Java script comes up a lot in my quest, so thats a good catch as well. Oh, a good regex book would be awesome too.

I have a physical copy of wicked cool shell scripts, but a digital copy would be nice. Looks like I’m parting with $15 at the least.

1 Like

Hoping a bundle comes up with powershell.

1 Like

Python you say? :thinking:

HUMBLE BOOK BUNDLE: PYTHON BY O’REILLY

0 Likes

I just got a Kobo as well… I’ve had to empty my bookshelves and get rid of hundreds of books over the last few years because I just keep buying them. So this should help me keep my collection down to the important ones. And the whole not having to spend upwards of $8 just to try a book out is the biggest benefit.

Also fits in my pocket easily and can read whenever.

1 Like

Wow that’s allot of python haha

1 Like

Yup, more Python that anyone should need, but well worth $15 if you’re looking for Python books. I bought a hard-copy of Fluent Python last year and just that alone cost about $40.

1 Like

I intend on getting the whole bundle when I get home. Like jogging or working out to make gains, I need to read more so that I can read a few hours a day without it feeling like such a hard task.

1 Like

Got it.

So now hoping for a regex, powershell and maybe even zfs bundle. Have they been known to do security or pentesting type bundles as well?

0 Likes