The Beer Garden: What do you drink, and why?

Picked this up today at the grocery store on sale:

I… I don’t know what this is. It’s… sort of beer-ish? Poured with the heavy, frothy head which subsided very quickly. Aroma of spices, but not as spice-fronted on tasting. Reviews say the chai is first but I don’t think I’ve ever had chai tea so I’ll have to take their word on it. It is quite sweet, more like a spiced brown ale than a stout, probably due to the mix.

It might take me a while to get through this six pack. The wife didn’t even want to try it after smelling it, and she’s a sucker for anything with an owl on the label (or any part of anything really).

1 Like

Radler is another name for shandy, and shandies are beers mixed with a soft drink like sparkling lemonade, ginger beer, or soda. Some of the European shandies are apparently pretty good, and the Traveler products from Boston Beer aren’t horrible for what they are.

In my job we’d probably have it classified as a “flavored malt beverage” like Mike’s or Twisted Tea. So yeah.

I’ve never had a FMB I’ve liked, so I prefer to avoid them if possible.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple shandies before, but this one is definitely a bit different.

Of course it’s been long enough I forgot why I didn’t buy them. At least it cost me less than $5.

First comes to worst you could always make beer bread with it (makes good toast).

• Can/bottle of beer
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Mix and bake at 375F for about 45 minutes.

1 Like

I have a soft spot for local.

2 Likes

Cracked open an amazing sour this evening:

Very, very dry. Heavy tartness but doesn’t stick around. The cherry is sort of middling, not really front and center but easily present.

2 Likes

No pictures because that’s rude in a public setting, but I had Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Exceptionally good beer, absolutely the best stout I have ever had in my life. It’s pretty much everything I would have like out of the regular Breakfast Stout I posted a little while ago. The flavors are quite balanced and it is smooth.

It’d be a solid 9 out of 10 from me, it was great.

I’d probably never buy it again though, that shit’s expensive.

1 Like

Beers I usually have on hand would be Grolsch, Spaten, Blithering Idiot. Joined a craft beer club (get 12 per month) and one that 's stood out so far is 3rd Wave Sandstorm. Least favorite was Elderflower Sour -don’t remember brewer. Generally, I like a nice double bock, lager or ale, and an occasional Barleywine. Liquor is usually gin or scotch.

1 Like

Five days? Blasphemy!

This one’s tasty! Well-balanced, hoppy and citrusy but with a nice even bitterness in the background throughout.

1 Like
1 Like

Gneiss Impact Crater

I’m really liking wheat beers recent. This one is a weizenbock, although the yeasty character is more tame than I thought it would be.

1 Like

I’ve been neglecting the beer, sadly. I’ve been drinking White Russians the last few days…

Not today though.
Iron Monk milkstout, brewed here in Oklahoma. Pretty standard, but tasty.

2 Likes

Not beer but I’m drinking this. I made it myself. Its a sugar wash fermented to about 16-18%. I then mixed it with blue jolly rancher drink mix and let the yeast fall out. Bottle and serve with sprite to cut it. Say 50/50

Its dirt cheap to make. I have 2 gallons of the stuff. Its tastes meh but thats ok because I made it and just like your own farts it doesnt bother me any.

2 Likes

I have a jar on my desk that looks almost exactly like that. Except instead of drink it’s cupric acetate. Which you definitely do not want to drink.

1 Like

Is it blue flavor?

Probably. It’s also probably poison flavor.

1 Like

Alcohol is already poison flavor. Changemymind.jpg

Picked up a few of these from Aldi. Nice IPAs, plenty of flavour and punch there, hard to go back to ordinary lager after these!

2 Likes

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum 2018

Oh this is good. It’s a strong brew, but it’s not a disgusting punch in the throat like some IPAs can be. To me it smells like they used an obscene amount of hops, and the taste follows without tasting like you’re drinking the color green. It’s also still got the classic West Coast IPA trademarks, but has some NEIPA flair. I am so glad it doesn’t taste like fruit juice.

1 Like