The Beer Garden: What do you drink, and why?

Thanks to a quick poll I cracked open this behemoth of a can of Peanut Butter Porter.

It’s on the dry side for a porter, the peanut butter is more peanut, less on the creamy side of what I’d consider a butter effect, if that makes sense. Aroma is very, very peanutty with the flavor being a little more subtle but definitely front and center, fades to notes of chocolate, almost a tacky mouthfeel (dry finish) a few seconds after finishing. It’s really nice though.

I’d mail some if anyone wants it, I don’t think it’s available outside Iowa.

Fun can info:

1 Like

I’d be down for a beer trade. I could send you a local brew from Oklahoma.

1 Like

Will pm in morning. :beers:

1 Like

Had this at the local pub was way better than I thought it would be. 8/10 easily.

2 Likes

Started the box of beers!

Adaptation Ale by Roughtail Brewing is apparently a quarterly small-batch IPA. This version as best I can tell was the January edition, made with two types of oats, but I would say it’s a pretty solid NE style IPA, hazy and wet, not real high on the IBU’s for an IPA. I’d say the aroma is more bitter than the flavor, and it’s very smooth. It’s quite good.

Thanks @behindthetimesgamer!

1 Like

Glad you like it! I was a little worried about that one because I had never tried it before. I can vouch for all the others though. The Marshall IPA is actually the only IPA that I’ve found that I like.

I’m pretty easy to please beer-wise. If it’s not a Belgian or hefeweizen I’ll probably like it. And I like some of those two also :wink:

1 Like

Well hopefully the COOP DNR is enough of a change-up on the Belgian style.

I love Belgian beer, Leffe and Chimay beers are fantastic in my opinion.

1 Like

Unibroue’s Maudite did hold my favorite beer position for a short while, although that was over a decade ago (I’d still drink and enjoy one for sure).

1 Like

Just started drinking Elysian SpaceDust, along with a local micro called Adams Beard. Pretty good stuff

2 Likes

Boone Valley IPA from @Steinwerks

It has a really nice bitter citrus flavor on the front end, but it finishes malty and smooth. Hmmm, maybe I do like IPA’s. I just haven’t tried enough of them yet. The ones that I tend not to like are just bitter all the way through, with no redeemable balance of flavor to tame the bitterness of the hops.

@Steinwerks This is a very nice choice. Thanks for helping to change my mind on IPA’s!

1 Like

I might splurge and get the Loral and Pacific Gem versions.

1 Like

Victory V12

Website says “… caramel, fruit and spice flavors in this full-bodied amber ale.” I definitely get the caramel, but I don’t get the spice as much. I also get a noticeable dried fruit flavor, like raisins and such. It’s also surprisingly not boozy considering the 12% ABV. I had sips both straight from the fridge and slightly warm and I’d say this is another drink to have at probably about 50-55F, the flavors are muted at fridge temps.

Another peculiar note is that this is apparently a beer that can cellar well, at least according to the internet. The one I had was bottled in January 2018 so it’s already four months old, but I think it was almost too fresh. I would like to try one with at least a few more months on it to see how it mellows. As-is it was still a good drink and I’d definitely never say no to one, but I feel like it wasn’t quite what it could be.

3 Likes

I’m a little stressed out for various reasons, so I’m turning to drinking to solve that. But I’m not joining AA, because I’m not a quitter.

Lol, anyway… Had a very nice sour with my dinner tonight. Another beer from @Steinwerks

(please excuse the potato quality camera shot)

Very nice sour weiss beer with a really strong lemon flavor. It tastes more like sour lemonade than beer, but I love it. It also manages to avoid the “lemon scented Pledge” taste that so many lemon flavored things tend to pick up. 8/10 beer for me.

I’ll have to hunt around for more sour beers for summertime. They are extremely refreshing.

1 Like

FYI Exile curates their own yeast for their sours. Some of them are amazing, I just wish we were a bit closer to the brewery.

Oh and I really wanted to send their Sir Moch-a-lot, it is also amazing, but out of season now :frowning:

1 Like

And for desert, beer. Another one from @Steinwerks.

Trend Bucker Stout. This beer is a prime example of everything I love in a stout. Large dark chocolate malt taste, nice malty finish, just a very slight hint of warm sweetness, and doesn’t overwhelm the taste buds. A very smooth beer with a great overall taste. Probably a 8.5/10 for me. Maybe even a 9.

2 Likes

@Steinwerks

So about that…

2 Likes

More beer from @Steinwerks

This time, a smoked red ale from West O.

I love red ales. This one is no exception. Great roasted barley malt taste, with just a bit of smoky flavor. I’ve had other ales that were too smoky, funky, and had a heavy texture. This one feels lighter, fresher, and not overly smoky.
7.5/10 not bad at all. Would have it again.

1 Like

Yep, that’s definitely blueberry. I have to say, this is one of the most peculiar beers I have ever had. I like it.

2 Likes

Another couple beers from @behindthetimesgamer!

This was a nice red ale, hoppier than most which I feel is something that is often lacking (for me) in red ales, just in terms of variety at least. Otherwise typically malty with a medium mouthfeel with a hint of brightness reminiscent of a NEIPA showing through. Enjoyable, probably a 7/10, would drink again.

This one was definitely interesting, as I feel it is a melding of two styles that aren’t very complementary. Trying to maintain the standard sweetness and heavy mouthfeel of a belgian with the bitter hoppy characteristics of an IPA is no simple task. I felt like this tried pretty hard but wasn’t entirely successful. It’s heavier than I would like for the flavor profile, and the hoppiness was less forward than the malty base, which made it seem like the flavors were fighting each other. I’d say about a 4/10. I didn’t hate it, but not my cup of tea either. Note that I am not much of a belgian fan these days so this may skew my perception.

1 Like