The Awesome New Level1 Techs USBc & HDMI KVMs

I finally set up my dual monitor 4-port DP 1.4 KVM switch I received back in about February. I’ve bought and returned a ton of KVM switches, and at my workplace we use industrial IHSE KVM systems which are top of the line and still have issues here and there, so with that as my background let me just say that I think this KVM switch is AWESOME. You’ve done a great job with them, @wendell.

I’m using dual Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ 4K / G-Sync / HDR monitors, and currently switching between two PCs with Nvidia Geforce RTX GPUs. Will be adding my CalDigit TS3 Plus TB3 hub to the mix once my replacement comes, so I’m not sure how that will work but judging from how well these two computers can be switched I’m not anticipating any issues.

thanks. They aren’t perfect but I lovingly hand caress just about every one it feels like just to qa/qc. There are almost enough people doing crazy stuff I want to put a 5 amp DC power supply in there, 20 usb3 ports and powered pin-20 displayport to better support dongle-hell that people try to use sometimes. Banging away on better logitech lightning protocol (reeee) support rn.

1 Like

Currently I have a daskeyboard mechanical keyboard and Logitech G Powerplay Wireless mouse pad with a Logitech G 502 wireless mouse hooked up to the HID inputs and that setup is working fine so far…

EDIT: Sometimes Logitech G Hub no longer recognizes the mouse upon switching even though the mouse itself it working, but that’s more of an issue with their software than your switch.

I hope I can grab a dual monitor DP 4-port model.

Will they be listed on the website after you fill existing orders?

I was sort of just thinking. we have some 2X1(PC X Monitor), 4X1 & 2X2 Level 1 Techs KVMs. I’ve got a triple display setup, so for this to work, i’d need a single and a dual KVM box. But is it technically possible to have a say 2X1 KVM as a Master, then have additional 2X1 slave devices (Slave devices only take in a control wire, two pc inputs and 1 monitor output), such that if my setup is 2X3, i could buy one Master device and two Slaves, hook up the 1st slave to the master, the 2nd slave to the 1st slave (for controling them). Thoughts?

if the cases could be designed such that the additional slave devices slot to the right or left of the master unit (dovetail joints?) that could keep things tidy

nah, you can just email me and I’ll send you a triple or quad kvm. I would havelisted them on the store were it not for pandemic already.

Rundown is currently

USBc 1 DP monitor x 2 computers USBc inputs w/Power Delivery on primary USBc port (downside: no more usbc port on 3000 series nv gpus. Darn it! Need a special cable to combine DP and USB from the host into one USBc input or rethink having an optional USB b type input for port #2)

DP 1.4 Varities:
1 monitor x 2 computer
1 monitor x 4 computer
2 monitor x 2 computer
2 monitor x 4 computer
3 monitor x 2 computer (special order)
4 monitor x 2 computer (special order)

DP1.2 varieties:
1 monitor x 4 computers
2 monitors x 4 computers
^ these are near end of life. Mostly pandemic and the older parts being the only parts available drives the adoption of these. I’ve got rather a lot.

I’ve got a mailing list I’m going to mail everyone when I post them to the store. I expected to have done that already but I had some shipping adventures. Was my stuff on the evergiven and I didn’t know it? Don’t think so but feels that way lol

2 Likes

I may want a DP1.2 for two monitors and 4 PC’s… I have a 3440x1440 and 1080p standard monitor. Seems from the descriptions it should work. I’d love to be on that E-mail list/Pre-order. Does it work ok with converters? Some of my machines still have the old serial bus style connectors and I have to convert them to hdmi. I have Quality cables that aren’t very long. Using a USB switch now and switch inputs on the monitors…and I use barrier software, but it’s a pain some days.

@wendell Any way you can look at the shipping options for these KVM’s?

I want to preorder the 4 pc 2 monitor one, but it’s treating Puerto Rico as an separate country.

(USPS prices to PR are about the same as on the mainland, UPS/FEDEX charge an arm and a leg)

1 Like

order, then email john at the store, or put in a special note. It is hooked up to the usps api, so something is amiss there

1 Like

How much of an edge case is my need?

• MacPro 4,1(5,1) + GTX760(4GB) + Sunix UPD2018

• Sliger x570 (5900x) + RTX 2080 + Sunix UPD2018
    =
    1 LG RB22MD4KA-B 4K (Apple Full wired keyboard + mighty mouse)

Direct connect into monitor by itself works. Should I get a splitter from the
LG monitor into 2 USB-C connections. (Does that even exist)?

I need two inputs in USB-C KVM and 1 Output into the monitor.
Pipedream? Or I need to hit the pipe myself?

1 Like

well that display is usbc input, so not for this kvm by itself. I’d probably get a DP kvm, not usbc, then a USBc to DP cable (“Bidirectional USBc to DP” ) to use with the monitor. That way the monitor is usbc only on the monitor side.

2 Likes

I love USB C this is great

I’ve begun to prepare myself to be almost exclusively USB C in stuff I do as much as I can. its a better connector

2 Likes

Apple Inception: More dongles for your dongles. I’ll look into it or wait tm dp 1.5 and hdmi 2.1 upgrade path for the kvm options.

@PhaseLockedLoop
I do hope USB4 will be a better connector (minimum 20gb throughput) with more open standardization.

2 Likes

Its quite open as it is

It generally will be.

As for throughput idk. I’ve taken sneak peaks at the wire gauages they specify … They aren’t thick enough realistically to get the signal integrity I want for multiple 4k60…

You need a T H I C C cable for better integrity

1 Like

Few other quick questions:

1. Just saw you had 3/4 monitor options as well, whats the pricing on those?

2. Do these still provide the display present signal to the non active pc’s, or do windows get moved around all like crazy?

2 Likes

3 monitor $630 + s/h
4 monitor $750 + s/h
Tho I may have to raise that in the future because parts shortage and such

No l1 KVm provides display present signal. It tends to cause problems and break freesync/gsync in weird hard to diagnose ways.

The Level1Techs repeater can emulate a monitor but you lose freesync/gsync. That can be added to any KVm input where you want that.

You can change your display unplugged resolution via the registry so windows don’t get moved around which works well unless your primary monitor is not the left most one. If you have a quadro it’s a software toggle

4 Likes

wendell

(will ask here to avoid emailing)
I have the 4 port displayport 1.4 model.

If I see whole screen image flicker … is that related to having bad cables?
I turned the Hz down to 60 (was at 120hz) and it went away.

just upgraded my monitor

1 Like

yeah, if turning down the refresh fixes it, try cables and/or strategically place ferrite beads

3 Likes

Any news regarding HDMI 2.1-capable releases, be it an HDMI 2.1 KVM switch or an active DisplayPort 1.4->HDMI 2.1 with VRR solution?

(Still pissed about the ewaste of CLub 3D adapters, not one of these works flawlessly for me, tested the DisplayPort outs of Radeon VIIs, a 4750G and a 3090)

1 Like

still no chipset

1 Like