The Awesome New Level1 Techs USBc & HDMI KVMs

:sob:

Patreon stretch goal: Only USD 50 M to create your own silicon mask?

Would FPGAs be a solution for that? Would take anything up to 75 W power consumption.

1 Like

TIL

2 Likes

The DP that came with the monitor, i used to connect monitor and kvm.
My cables were going from PC to kvm.

I tried my cables and the one that came with the monitor directly from PC to the monitor and the shaky image hasnt happened again at 120hz

Will try with the KVM in the middle to see if it comes back.

will report back.

edit:

after putting the KVM backā€¦ I still noticed the flicker/shaking, but it wasnt constant like it was the first time. My GPU is DP1.4 but doesnt support DSCā€¦idk if that has anything to do with it.

1 Like

I have yet to be able to get the registry solution to ever work.

There is one guy out there that created a hot plug detect killer for displayport - DPHPDMA F/UART - DisplayPort HPD Mod Adapter

Also what is johns email? I tried guessing but it bouncedback.

1 Like

Email me with what you need and where were shipping to and Iā€™ll handle. :slight_smile:

Let me know if you get that thing and if works or doesnā€™t

Whatā€™s it doing in the registry thing? Iirc it requires primary monitor to be left most.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using this switch for months and love it. Iā€™ve got my Linux dev machine, Windows gaming machine and more recently, a super old 2012 macmini all hooked up to it. I can even do 240Hz@5120x1440 on the Windows box (was connected to a 2080-Ti; recently sold that and got a 3080-Ti).

But earlier tonight, the power started clicking off. Iā€™d watch the power light go on for a millisecond, then go off with an audible click, over and over. If I disconnect all the USB cables and power, wait a second, I can start plugging things back in. But the moment I get 2 computers connected, it started clicking off again. Doesnā€™t seem to matter which machine I connect first.

Right now itā€™s stable with just my Linux box connected. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Iā€™ve only seen that type of thing if USB is overloaded or there is a cable backfeeding power where it shouldnā€™t be (e.g. a 20 pin DP cable). is it warm or warmer than usual?

I touched it to see if it was warm and it started clicking off and on again. Iā€™ve disconnected every cable from it and it will still start giving me a ā€œclick of deathā€ type restart within a few seconds of plugging in just DC. Iā€™ll bypass it for now and unplug it. It might be the power brick.

Iā€™ll try to see if I have another one with the same plug/amp/voltage range tomorrow. I still have the older DP1.2 version of it I ordered on the last run that I use for my work laptop and NAS. If itā€™s the same specs, I can try pulling the power supply from that one and see if thatā€™s the issue. If not it might be a short inside the device :frowning:

Will let you know tomorrow. Thanks Wendel!

any 12v 1.5 amp or greater center positive dc plug should work. It might have developed a cold solder joint. If its not the power plug lmk and you can mail it in and I will repair it

theres not a lot that can go wrong with them since they are essentially dumb switches

Are there any projections on when the DP1.4 KVMs are available again?

I badly need one for home office purposes and am afraid to buy and test multiple bad ones from amazon just to find out that theyā€™re all crap. This also can get very expensive very quickly.

Cheers.

End of Oct/First of November +/-

Sorry wrong KVM thread- mods delete if wanted.

Thanks, that is good news!

Can the usb c KVM displayport output be used with a mst hub to support 3 displays(2x 1080p60 + 1x 1440p144)