The Awesome New Level1 Techs USBc & HDMI KVMs

Open source firmware? :pleading_face:

I mean, if it sells well enough, someone’s going to reverse engineer the firmware anyway

@wendell, would you consider doing a teardown?

1 Like

Same kit works for either, dual is just taller so a bit more room than 1u needed

I assume it’s made in China, they won’t need to reverse-engineer anything, they’ll just steal it.

I meant someone from #software:open-source trying to understand or customize the code, not a competing company.

If I had the skills necessary, that’s what I would do immediately after buying one. I heavily prefer having open-source code running on my hardware whenever possible or at least feasible.

Will this KVM handle 3 mice at once (plus a keyboard)? I have a custom setup to help alleviate tendinitis issues in my right forearm, so I would need this KVM to support 2 Logitech mice and a Kingston trackball mouse.

Don’t see why not. Worst case you can use a USB hub on the USB3 ports. It has 4 hid ports (1 front, 3 rear) and I use multiple mice semi-regularly (wired + wireless)

I have a new Macbook Pro 2018 arriving soon, which has only 2x Thunderbolt 3 outputs and this is causing me serious pain.

I think the USBc KVM is what I need, but I am a little unsure how it would work for me
 here’s what I need to switch between:
1 MacBook Pro
-Thunderbolt 3 ports

1 PC (either Windows or Linux)
-Asus Z170-A motherboard (various outputs)
-AMD Fury X (DisplayPort out)

Peripherals that need sharing:
1 Freesync 144Hz monitor via DisplayPort
1 USB2 keyboard
1 USB2 mouse

So my confusion & question is
 how to I connect the PC to the KVM so that the monitor is driven by the graphics card and keyboard and mouse also work? Or do I need a different solution?

After some more research, I think what I might need is a monitor with a built in KVM, these can be pretty pricey though

Hi,

I just got my dual monitor DISPLAY PORT 1.4 KVM SWITCH - DUAL MONITOR 4-PORTS, and having an issue with windows resizing when I change screens. Wondering if it is a configuration issue:

I have:
2 PCs (windows):

“Work” is connected to 2 screens, via the KVM, and pretty much only runs remote desktop.

Screens are a Samsung 49’’ ultrawide + a samsung curved 32 UHD. Not knowingly using refresh rages >60hz.

“Personal” is connected to 3 screens, the 2 above, via the KVM, + 1 via HDMI (not through KVM). That screen is used when I do flight simulation (and generally turned off).

When I switch out and back of “work”, the remote desktop window gets un-maximized, and rezized (fairly small). This didn’t use to happen when I had both PCs connected to the screens and just changed source with the screen button.

Same things with “Personal”, all windows get resized to what looks the resolution of the flight simulation display (flight instruments, 1024x768).

(Both computers exhibit the same behaviour)

How can I avoid this window resizing? I bought the KVM thinking the EDID would avoid this issue.

Thanks!

The edid engine is for hdcp rekey speed up not phantom monitor emulation.

You can change the “monitor unplugged” resolution in windows from 1024x768 to whatever your native resolition is by manipulation of the registry:

https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/10681-tutorial-how-change-windows-10-default-resolution.html

Thanks - Is there a way to trick windows to think monitors are “always connected”?

Just to be clear - the box I bought does not have phantom mode then? (If so probably should have asked before buying but thought it had so as there was, as it didn’t have the disclaimer that the 2-port version has a disclaimer about lack of that mode (and I am under the impression that at some point it said this might come in the 4-port, which is the reason I got the 4-port in the first place).

oh that explains why i wont have video if i power up my pc2 machine with out switching over before booting.

well, you could buy the level1techs dp repeaters, but they’re limited to DP1.2 bandwidth. Those do function as phantom monitors. I think I covered all that in the video.

if you have a quadro video card, they will behave the way you want. You can also uses the fences app, but functionally the registry edit is no different than “windows doesnt know its unplugged” except in gaming scenarios.

the edid emulation/monitor emulation thing is a farce, too. If you use a kvm with that feature, it messes with freesync/gsync so it’s tough to have both without creating problems elsewhere.

I did see some configs which sadly don’t seem to be available for my RTX3080 desktop card.

I don’t think I saw it mentioned on the video on the KVM page.

I can’t change registry on work computer.

So in order to get no switching at all I’d need 4 DP repeaters? (1.2 might not be a problem, I actually don’t really play games, other than a bit of flight simulation, but that’s IFR anyway so don’t need high refresh rates / resolutions!

yeah, or just two for the work machine and registry for the non-work machine?

does your work machine have a quadro by any chance? sometimes business class pcs have business class graphics cards. If so then its a user-level change you can do in the software instead of the registgry.

The work machine doesn’t even let me see what graphics card it has (I only have audio options available in hardware in control panel, rest is all hidden, it is a super locked down machine only meant for remote desktop client).

As it turns down, the work machine is actually less annoying, because even though the remote desktop un-fullscreens and gets small, I can just press windows+uparrow to maximize it.

I haven’t been too successful on the registry yet (will need to try after a restart). As it turns out, if I disconnect the 3rd (only connected to personal), the windows on the main screen don’t resize as much.

Will try a bit more later in the weekend. Work is getting most of the KVM time for now.

thanks @wendell ! Messaged you last month about the 1x2 DP1.4 KVM availability. Reading more into the forums while waiting for it go back on sale, it’s recommended to use this USBc KVM as sort of a dock - is that accurate? I have a work laptop that’s USBc
don’t care if it’s 1.2 or 1.4, just need minimum 1440p60. And the USBc would be the only required cable from the laptop? So potential config would be:
laptop → USBc KVM → DP1.4 KVM
traditional PC → DP1.4 KVM
If so, when does the USBc KVM go back on sale? Thanks again!

@wendell Any ETA on a restock? I’d love to get my hands on a Display Port model. I may be able to get away wtih the hdmi one thats still avalible.

I’m also hoping to get a Dual DP KVM at some point.

Hopefully they come back soon.

still getting orders situated and out the door. I was unable to source enough stuff to build Literally Every Single single port monitor that everyone wanted, but I got enough for both dual monitor versions, 2 and 4 computer, so I’m emailing everyone I didn’t have a single monitor for in order to see if they want to keep waiting, refund, or upgrade to dual monitors. It’s only about 11 people +/- but ulgh what a headache this pandemic has been.

I should have quite a number of 2 and 4 computer dual monitor KVMs left.

Also a small batch of triple and quadruple monitor 2-computer KVMs for special orders :slight_smile:

shant be much longer I promise :slight_smile: