The AMDGPU Info/News Thread

That’s correct. The pro driver already supports HDMI audio while the open source stack is still waiting for DC.

Finally, the moment we’ve all been waiting for.
DC has been mainlined! Now there is nothing stopping me from buying a Vega card. The Wait for freesync begins…
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-DC-Accepted

4 Likes

According to AdoredTV linux will be getting some software when the update lands for us! That’ll be nice. I’d rather have an interface for OC rather than just hoping that I don’t fuck up a terminal command.

The update is live now. PCPer had a good video with a couple of the Radeon guys.

Lol yeah the windows version, but this is a linux focused thread.

I created a separate thread about that big news.

1 Like

lol I saw that, just the software suite for the general driver seemed like the perfect cap to this thread.

It can probably be locked now, but I don’t want to say TOO much as when that software suite drops I want to have bug tracking go on in here, hopefully. Or I’ll just post bugs here.

Didn’t mean to steal from your thread! Sorry if I did :3

You’re right, took me a while to get that one through my brain.

:zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Still the update is healthy now that I think about it. Any windows bugs get fixed there and in linux, any linux bugs are fixed in windows…

Hmm. Maybe there should be a refresh thread for bug tracking only. Might be better.

idk. I like this thread.
I really wish Linux would receive that awesome GUI with all that overclocking etc. functionality. There are speculations going around about AMD wanting to open-source it. Though it would probably take another 2 years just like it did with the Vulkan driver. :wink:

Legit what speeds that up is user reports and testing. I’m one of few people that was constantly testing the 250X side of the AMDGPU driver and the only card that didn’t get real driver coverage was the R7 370, but only because everything but the XFX and chinese cards had compatibility to the 270X driver. Not enough people testing that, so that never got fixed. Probably never will.

If you want to see that happen, legit, help where you can. I know I will.

Running Kubuntu 17.10 on a Ryzen 7 1700 (stock) and a Nitro+ RX480, with 4.14.4 kernel and oibaf ppa. Don’t have many new games to test on, but Deus EX MD and TR 2013 both run at high settings with 1440p res (no AA) at above 40fps.

There is radeon-profile for fan settings and some limited overclocking. Would be nice to have a proper AMD endorsed GUI for all the other cool features.

1 Like

To whom do you report your experience? Or is there a way to automatically send usage statistics?

For AMDGPU there was a phoronix mailing list that I sent shit to and they forwarded it for me, but I think theres an email open now for bug reports.

Does anyone have idea how to “tune” current scheduler in amdgpu, so it goes agressive, as for now to get good performance, i have to put “high” in '/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level’
any workarounds maybe? (like with ondeman trasholds or something).

The card should be able to tune itself automatically, you shouldn’t have to do that work around. That’s been a feature for a long time now.

That particular work around was needed back in earlier kernel days when there was a low-power bug affecting Hawaii cards; so if they ever went into a low-power state they would halt the system. It was fixed in kernel 4.10 IIRC.

Just make sure you’re running that or higher.

Yeah install the newest kernel. The driver does that for you. Its nice not needing to OC.

I have been waiting for the overclocking to work for a polaris card. Maybe 4.15 with allow you to do it. On 4.13 I could change some settings but the performance was slower. At the moment I cant change it it with permission denied.

https://linuxconfig.org/overclock-your-radeon-gpu-with-amdgpu

I spy with my little eye raven ridge firmware in disguise

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-32-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-31-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_vcn.bin for module amdgpu

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-25-generic
2 Likes

I noticed this too the other day