The AMD Lawsuit over Bulldozer does not make sense to me

I really think that it is because of the comparison between AMD and Intel. AMD's "cores" based on bulldozer are not the same as Intel's "core". Correct me if I am wrong, but up until Bulldozer, all "cores" had their own L2 and FPUs. To my knowledge (and I don't know much about earlier architecture at all), Bulldozer (and subsequent) is the only architecture that shares those specific resources. The problem being that where they drew the line for a "core" is different and could potentially mislead people.

EDIT: He could just be an nVidia/Intel fanboy and want to hurt AMD however possible. But I doubt that. I wouldn't exactly put it past nVidia to be behind this either.

In my Honest opinion. I don't think AMD will get into trouble for False Advertising...

HOWEVER for APUs. I would gladly throw AMD under the bus for false advertising..oh look we have a 12 core APU coming... NAH just kidding we meant 4 processing cores and a 8 graphical cores..

Why would they? ☺

that's what this lawsuit is about really.

This is not false advertising, imo. Technically, there are 12 "cores" there. It is just one of those marketing bs things that you have to ignore.

This is a post i made in the other lawsuit topic.
And this is why i think this lawsuit might now stand

Nah, that would not be considered false advertising if they stated what it was prior to releasing it. It would be false advertising if they stated it was 12 cores and never stated it was either 8 CPU cores and 4 GPU cores or 4 CPU cores and 8 GPU cores like you find on Cell SoCs these days.

yeah but marketing it as 12 cores is ambiguous. when discussion of cores are brought up in a CPUs people assume they are talking about processing cores. not graphical cores.

But it is not a CPU. It is clearly labeled as an APU which by now, everyone knows is a CPU paired with an integrated GPU.

Which is why AMD doesn't call it a CPU but an APU. A 12 core cpu would have 12 compute cores. A 12 core APU would need to divide up the 12 between graphics and compute.

yeah but people who don't look into that are not going to know that. all they see on the box is a 12 core processor.

you underestimate the stupidity of some people.

They said 12 core APU, not 12 core CPU. Not false advertising at all. If you didn't know that an APU had integrated graphics like that and that is what made it an APU and not a CPU, then you you would look it up. You wouldn't assume that they meant a CPU.

no, they are going to look at the box and see that it is called an APU. If they don't know what an APU is, they would ask someone and it would be explained to them or they might google it. If they don't bother, it is on them since it is clearly stated all over the web what an APU is.

a okay, this topic is heading towards the upcomming ZEN apu´s.

You seem excited about them.

I am. I hope this lawsuit crashes and burns the Plaintiff. Cause, this Lawsuit could very well tank AMD before the Zen family can take root and show us what is up AMD's long game sleeve.

Well, if nothing else, big companies are good at stalling lawsuits. I think that they can postpone it until after the launch at least.

So, a CPU isn't a CPU without a FPU? Am I reading this correctly?

Cause, I remember back when an FPU was called a "Math Co-Processor"

3 Likes

the discussion is convoluted. we know it's an APU. we know AMD is talking about four processing cores and 8 graphical cores. what I'm trying to say is a lot of idiots, who don't look these minor details up are going to complain, 'Why list it as a twelve-core when it's not?'