The AMD Lawsuit over Bulldozer does not make sense to me

you underestimate the stupidity of some people.

They said 12 core APU, not 12 core CPU. Not false advertising at all. If you didn't know that an APU had integrated graphics like that and that is what made it an APU and not a CPU, then you you would look it up. You wouldn't assume that they meant a CPU.

no, they are going to look at the box and see that it is called an APU. If they don't know what an APU is, they would ask someone and it would be explained to them or they might google it. If they don't bother, it is on them since it is clearly stated all over the web what an APU is.

a okay, this topic is heading towards the upcomming ZEN apu´s.

You seem excited about them.

I am. I hope this lawsuit crashes and burns the Plaintiff. Cause, this Lawsuit could very well tank AMD before the Zen family can take root and show us what is up AMD's long game sleeve.

Well, if nothing else, big companies are good at stalling lawsuits. I think that they can postpone it until after the launch at least.

So, a CPU isn't a CPU without a FPU? Am I reading this correctly?

Cause, I remember back when an FPU was called a "Math Co-Processor"

3 Likes

the discussion is convoluted. we know it's an APU. we know AMD is talking about four processing cores and 8 graphical cores. what I'm trying to say is a lot of idiots, who don't look these minor details up are going to complain, 'Why list it as a twelve-core when it's not?'

Hopefully, AMD's lawyers will remember that too. So is it the L2 or the FPU that they are taking the most problem with here? Maybe both?

then it is on the idiots. Not AMD. AMD has clearly stated what it is. If they don't or can't read or don't care, it is not AMD's fault.

Same with morons putting bleach in their eyes. It clearly says that it is bleach and to not put it in your eyes. You just can't stop some people from doing stupid things. That isn't on the company.

I feel the same applies to the current lawsuit. while it does state 8-cores. AMD also published the tech docs that clearly show the shared FPU and L2 Cache. they did not hide the fact that the CPU is designed differently. If they had, then it would be false advertising. I had a FX 8120 and I dare say it ran better than my current I7 4770k at things like Arma server hosting, blender, Video editing, and number crunching/crypto stuff. Intel ran better at things like most games and Arma singleplayer/multiplayer.

It is, but that's not going to stop them from getting mad at AMD for convoluting a minor detail like this. List it as a quad core APU with 8 graphical cores. not a 12 core APU. and I can throw in the intel argument as well. Intel processors are listed as quad-cores. not 12 core processors. four processing cores 8 graphical cores.

the overall point I'm making is they are just making something so simple to understand difficult for an idiot who doesn't look this up.

Confusing to morons? Maybe. False advertising? No.

Well we dont know much about Zen atm.
untill we see more technical details, and also performance numbers in the wild.
I think its very hard to discuss about it.

it's sort of but not really. and stuff like this is why AMD get's thrown under the bus. we have a 12 core APU coming.. remember this?

oh right. quad core processor and 8 graphical cores...

1 Like

seriously

apples powerpc architecture 2 integer, 1 fpu (advertised as 'dual core')

so called 'octacore' phones (4 little arm, 4 big arm)

if this goes ahead then a lot of people are in the shit

it's a convoluted topic.

but the way I see it, who ever sued AMD over this, is just grasping for straws at this point. AMD's current FX processors are basically dead at this point.

The uninformed does not the majority make. AMD markets to the professional and/or informed consumer. OEM companies that use AMD products in their own can simplify the marketing just fine, and honestly if you cannot read the box and comprehend the printed information than it may be best to just rely on those OEMs for your computer purchase.