The 2020 Tech Predictions Thread!

With the New Year approaching on the Gregorian calendar, and inspired partially by Gard’s (The Linux Gamer) prediction video

Here we make predictions for Tech in 2020. They can be positive, negative, wishful thinking, whatever.

I’ll start…

• Given controversy surround Richard Stallman and the GNU project, Linux distros will begin moving away from GNU Utilities in an effort to distance themselves.

OpenMandriva is currently the only distro shipping Linux built with Clang, since support is still fairly new. I predict more distros, including at least one major distro will switch to Clang to build their Linux kernels in 2020.

Other projects might see replacement (rsync, OpenSSL) but dropping GCC on Linux will be the major event.

• A discreet PCIe GPU will be released by a company that is not Nvidia, Intel, or AMD. It will not be intended for mass market, but will be very exciting for developers and hobbyist hackers.

Fingers crossed that it’s a Risc-V based, but it could be some kind of ARM frankenstien.

• Linux use by pure install count will fall.

Desktop Linux use will continue minimal growth, as we’ve seen over the past few years. But the total number of Linux kernel installs will decrease.

Google pushing Fuschia or some similar alternative to mobile and embedded devices will be the reason.

What are your predictions for 2020 in the tech world?

Ryzen 4000 is gonna come out in the second half, probably Q4 and will just be a refinement of ZEN2. It’s still gonna wreck Intel’s 10000 series which will be out earlier. Z490 will be more of the same, boring standard stuff and the last chance for Intel to make bank from thunderbolt. X670 will get rid of the chipset fans again and will be the first platform to include USB4.

Big Navi is gonna be out in Q2 at 2080Ti performance for way less money.
Nvidia is gonna launch second gen RTX shortly after that and charge 1500,- for the flagship. That card is gonna be stupid fast though and will make first gen RTX buyers look a bit silly.

No DDR5 or PCIe5 on the desktop in 2020.

Somehow ASRock is gonna come out with a TRX40 ITX board, so we will see 64 core systems in DAN cases. (Yes, it’s a joke. But I kinda wanna see that. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Half-Life Alyx is gonna be GOTY and will become the main system seller for all of VR. (That’s kinda cheating because that is already happening but it’s gonna get real crazy, I think.)

1 Like

I’m kinda curious if X670 or whatever the chip is going to be called will still be on am4,
or that we are going to see am4+ boards with likely no backwards compatibility just like with TR.

The Oracle Vs Google on API will be settled but it will go towards Oracle and APIs are copyrightable. - not what i want to see

AMD will continue to take market share from Intel. Intel will rethink its spot in the video card market do to bad devices and lack of product on launch

Intel will have CPU shortages till Q4 of 2020.

AI will lead to a data security breach, due to comprise or bad setup.

AI in baseball will not go more then 2 months before people want it gone and it will be shelved.

Edge browser built off of chromium will be the number 2 browser.

Netflix will close up shop by the end of the year, or be bought out by Amazon.

1 Like

-B550 q1, Zen 3/amd raytracing reveal q2

• bigger navi q3 reaching 2080 super levels at higher power output (driver issues still linger)
  • Intel haswell++, rebranded 9900ks
  • bios updates for amd improvement and Intel security flaw “fixes”
  • ps5 reveal q1 showing slimmer design vs xbox, compatabilty back to ps4 only.
  • Switch 2 reveal, joycon redesign and faster performance.

NVIDIA will release open source drivers, which will cause Linux/AMD users to scramble into damage control mode in order to come up with new excuses that Green Brand Bad.

Microsoft will release another operating system with the Linux kernel, likely on ARM or their Surface line, to test their DE/GUI with the kernel and win32.

WSL 2 and Microsoft’s continued work with Docker and Kubernetes will bring more Mac users to Windows. In retaliation, Apple will release a bracket for your USB-C cable that is $899.99

Linus Torvalds will retire.

ARM64 will achieve double digit market across cloud providers.

Ubuntu Pro will become the third most used operating system on AWS, next to Amazon Linux and RHEL.

Windows 10 will create a new branch, targeted for Chromebook-like devices, in order to capitalize on the dumb terminal/minimal market share.

5 Likes

Think the $1300+ price tags will still be the main counter argument lol

Stop being poor.

Also:

1 Like

Was refering to 2080ti lol

1 Like

B550 boards i still doubt that we are going to see them.
But it’s about time that they would release some.
Because yeah buying a 200+ x570 board for a Ryzen3 or 5 cpu,
or one of the apu’s is kinda hard to justify.

• 2020 will be the year of the trash can (see Xbox and ASUS ProArt computers)
  • Non-Microsoft Linux market share will have a small uptick in desktop consumerland, but still remain less than 5%
  • Apple will release a refresh of something (probably laptop-y). Apple fans go rabid, rest of world continues to not care
  • Game streaming will be like VR. Everybody and their uncle will be in it and there will be all sorts of hype, but nobody really cares
  • Intel has more negligible performance change, remains king in pure FPS numbers, still a terrible value
  • AMD CPUs have larger performance gain, but not as much as the previous Ryzen jumps
  • AMD GPUs… LOL
  • Nvidia keeps doing the exact same thing they are currently doing
  • Name brand 1 TB SATA SSDs for under $75
  • AI all the things!
  • Internet of Shit all the things!
  • Internet of Shit the AI! With extra RGB of course.
  • Some sort of ARM flavor of Windows
  • AMD fixes their 5_00(xt) fan control
  • Intel publishes a new roadmap no one cares about
  • Intel does not get 10nm working (again), but they demo some bizarr 7nm thing, also 14nm gets another plus
  • Mobo makers figure out how to build heatsinks again
  • Sony PS5 drops, supports raytracing that is RTX-ish without needing super massive GPUs
  • Microsoft back paddles on some dumb shit after the XBoxSeriesX announcement
1 Like

Oh, I forgot a prediction.

I predict @w.meri buys a console in 2020.

Good estimation, I would hazard you’re 3-4 years early though.

That will be exciting.

AMD is raising their prices as well. I reject this argument.

Except for their gpus.

My predictions?

• consoles provide framerates and texture quality on par with mid-range PCs. (rx580/1650ish)
  • amd/novideo are forced to lower prices in response to above
  • DNS or AS numbers become a primary attack point for state sponsored hacking.
  • vr doesn’t do well outside half life alyx.
  • China releases a competitive arm cpu aimed at desktop/laptop markets. Despite performance and battery life, it doesn’t take off except with enthusiasts.
  • social media remains insecure, more data is exposed online.
1 Like

I would think it’s still gonna be AM4. New socket for a refresh is an Intel move.

I don’t think those would make sense. If you don’t want to go high end, you probably don’t need PCIe4.

Also it is a good move to show board vendors that AMD products can make good money. That way they probably won’t skimp out on those anymore compared to the Intel counter parts.

• AMD to release an 16 core entry level TR cpu for TRX40.
  • AMD Radeon devision likely nothing really happening.
    Just rebrands.
  • Intel will likely announce a new main stream and HEDT platform.
    But likely won´t be ready before Q1 2021.
  • Ubuntu 20.04 releases are going to be cool.
1 Like

They already said they would not…
I don’t really have predictions… Everything will be super expensive.

I ment to say a 16 core entry level cpu.
Of course we can only hope haha.

It’s kinda a bad move in my opinion from AMD to,
not come with an entry level 16 core cpu for TRX40.
Because there are still people who need,
more pci-e lanes but cannot afford a $1400,- cpu.
So yeah in that regards you are pretty much out of luck.
Unless you want to buy into an EOL dead platform x399.

Also yeah why do entry level TRX40 boards who cost less then like $500,- exists.
When the cheapest cpu available for it already costs like $1400,-?
I mean what is the point of those cheaper feature gimped boards,
when there won’t be a gimped entry level cpu to trow on it right?

1 Like

I mean come on AMD there is still room for a 16 core 3958X,
Threadripper cpu at $700,- :slight_smile:
I mean there are likely plenty of faulty 3960X cpu’s,
that fall off the production line who don´t meet up to spec,
and could be repurposed for a 16 core cpu.

Yeah, those are 3950X…