The 2020 Tech Predictions Thread!

Apple Arm macbook

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Which are currently pretty expensive,
because there is no entry level TR 3000 cpu.
Would be nice when Ryzen 4000 and X670 comes out.

However yeah i would have liked to see an entry level TR3000 cpu,
to match with those entry level TRX40 boards.

It’s like those mATX you, me and a couple other people actually like. It’s just us. Nobody cares about it. They had lower end 8 core TR1000 and they basically said the sales didn’t justify the expenses. Yeah, there were people buying them, but it’s small niche and AMD said they won’t make low end TR3000 CPUs.
I get your point, it’s nice to have low price entry into the high end but still it’s not a large market, people who have money, but not that much…

1 Like

Here’s a brave prediction - Apple AMD something something…

1 Like

DDR5 will be on the Motherboard
Star Wars Battlefront III will suck
people will still worry about bottlenecking (and blow allot of cash)
2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 will be the year of Linux gaming…
Apple will have AR enabled i-glasses and i-contacts lenses that will sync with the i-watch and i-phone.
Truck drivers will still have jobs, AI will put programmers out of a job first. When AI causes a program to crash no one cares, AI involved car crashes will always make the headlines.
Most washing machines will have an agitator, IOT-free will be a selling point.
First lawn-mowers with catalytic converters will appear in California
I will still be using DSL :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Intel GPUs, sunny cove on desktop.
AMD still not making a dent I laptop market.

3 Likes
  • Cooper Lake will arrive on HEDT to zero fanfare, but hey, they at last fixed Zombieload… And will indeed be the last LGA 2066 socket CPU from Intel, with massive price cuts that still won’t be competitive.

• More GPUs will get integrated AV1 decoders, meanwhile SVT-AV1 will start rolling out in higher volume.

• RDNA2 will be better for raytracing with Vulkan vs DX12. DX12 will remain dominant on Xbox Series X while PS5 moves to Vulkan.

• Consumer 8K cameras that become more affordable will be announced, but 8K will NOT work well with home video camcorders at all. (Imagine Cloverfield motion sickness, but on a new level) Instead, think bigger camcorders.

• Linux will still lack proper HDR support

• Nvidia Web Drivers for macOS will never be updated in the year, due to souring ties (despite the new Mac Pro supporting installation of Quadros)

• Easy Anti Cheat will still not work in Proton/Wine

• Battleye will start working in Wine for 30mins (which is longer than before) then still kick you out

• TikTok will be purchased by Tencent or Alibaba.

• UBUNTU 20.04 will lead to Linux Desktop year (even if as a base for the “flagship” distro)

• Manjaro team will git gud on design choices

• Flatpaks and/or snaps will also git gud

• Intel gon drop discrete gpu-project

• Ryzen 4000 APUS will be INSANE (because r3000 ipc improvement, that is obvious actually)

1 Like

Realistically users complaining about the price tag on the 2080ti wouldnt have ever bought the 2080ti even if it was cheaper. Its just buttfrustration.

anyway… predictions.

• Yet again not the year of the linux desktop, but there will be a minimum of 3 threads about how it is.

• AMD finally catches up to Intel in single core speeds and dominates every base

1 Like

Well looking at the predictions here, I can give one more that is pretty safe: In 2020 still nobody can agree on how to determine if it is the year of the linux desktop or not and therefor everyone will say it is or it isn’t and feel right about it.

1 Like

(sitting here with the $700 I thought I would spend on a top end RTX series before it released), for the most part I guess, but even if people still cant afford it with normal prices, we can still criticize them for upselling something by nearly triple the cost of making it. I was hoping to get one but then well, 1k+ was a yikes, guess Ill wait and see what comes in the future.

they’ve come down a lot in the refurb market.

840 aint so bad.

Ill just wait for a year or two to upgrade from my 1070, hopefully by the 4000 series RTX isnt a huge performance hitter lol

2 Likes

Gets you a nice 5700XT or a 2070 Super on sale.

1 Like

was considering it, but my 1070 still does a fantastic job; and going with the 5700xt vs a 2080ti made me realize that I dont need to get anything new just yet, sadly my 5700xt had some fault where it was causing system crashes and hard locks on boot so I returned it, wonder if its my riser card causing that problem… ohh well I can wait a bit longer, 2020 might be the year but Ill aim for 2021 for a new GPU, Raytracing by then should be good without a large frame drop :+1:

1 Like