Tesla Truck Unveiling - Livestream

With the solar rear top.

You could be mad max for 1 hour a month of charging :slight_smile: If the world ends.

Wow I did not expect this. That looks unfinished. I am all for new and different but this looks wrong.

Even if they kept it the same shape and just rounded a few bits here and there, just a curve somewhere.

I guess this is how to keep it cheap though, no tooling needed just put flat sheet metal on a frame and done. Don’t even need a designer just a ruler and some basic dimensions it needs to fit.

It will be funny to see one driving around but I can’t see it catching on, I hope it does not ctach on. Cars are boring and bland as they are the last thing needed now is completely featureless cars. They just cut straight to the most basic possible and opened up for every manufacturer to go no effort on their designs.

1 Like

Cars are boring, and has no one noticed that if Tesla provide blank sheet metal that they’ve literally given you a blank canvas to do what you want with the body?

A blank canvas to put things on yes but unless you are putting on equally sharp and pointy bits then it will look even stranger.

Imagine a typical round chunky body kit on this?

Rather if I had the money for it is would set about removing the entire body and putting something similar but just a bit softer on it. Instead of hard points on the corners and edges just smooth them over a little.

It is just too flat.

Unless what you want is to graffiti it and look like you are driving a building site portacabin around.

Isn’t that just personal taste?

2 Likes

I am a person who loves small flat cars. The Nissan Cube is one of my favourite cars, same with the Kia Soul and original Mini, all pretty feature less and flat but just with a little character to them.

Exactly what I think this was trying to do but missed. Be plain enough to get out of the way but still have charm. When this looks like something proposed to be a warning that there is nuclear waste buried near by.

It’s not like you can say it’s characterless though. It’s straight out of every cyberpunk world ever created. It wouldn’t surprise me if we ended up seeing it in 2077

I will say it’s default body it’s more cybercorporate than cyberpunk in that kind of world, needs a little battered up first.

Theres some more info in this video

I think people forget that they didn’t tell us every single thing about the truck.

A few other confirmed features:

• bed lights
  • Matte black version
  • L track rails
  • ‘slots’ in the bed for attachments presumably
  • Rear hatch will apparently have a solar option which can regenerate 15 miles a day

I’ll say this though, you wouldn’t have this much discussion on any other pickup, and I think Marques is right in this video. You wouldn’t buy this if it was just an electric Ford pickup lookalike.

3 Likes

I thought the same thing when I saw the live stream. At the beginning musk said something about making electric cars cheap so that people would buy them. If you don’t have to process the panels the price of the vehicle would go down. I would also assume that that’s why there is no instrument cluster. Just a flat deck with a tablet. And no side mirrors.

1 Like

The glass does work.

So it would take multiple hits for it to break instead of it just being hit once and then cracking.

1 Like

I am sure they have done but with all the talk about attack from the outside, what about the far less frequent but far scarier of having to break the glass from the inside? Is it still as hard to break?

2 Likes

I like how overly aggressive and utilitarian it looks.

The solar top is a cool feature 15-30 miles per day still isn’t as good as a gas can that can give 100+ miles but it is something.

Will probably just go with a plug in hybrid jeep over this but hey depending on financials in 2 years I will revisit.

why I ordered a tesla cybertruck

Because I don’t know what to do with all my money.

9 Likes

What are the odds he would still be saying that if Ford was the one releasing the cybertruck and not Tesla? It seems to be that the only people I see buying into this vehicle are already die hard Tesla fans.

3 Likes

“Or because i’m a Tesla shill”
I love his videos but man, dial down with the Tesla praise…

3 Likes

Contrast with the shocked expression of Ryan recently saying the model 3 was only $45,000 to Krista like spending that much in a car is sane to everyone.

I think it would be sane to some people, but if someone gave me US$45.000 to spend on a car right now, i don’t think i would buy a Tesla.

I think he’s pushin the global warming BS, but doesn’t want to alienate a good portion of his audience by getting political.

Personally.

2 Likes

yeah id go and get like a $15k 2014 camaro and just enjoy it for as long as I can. I’ve seen battery tech starting to advance quite a bit so once they can make the cars cheaper and last longer then I might take a look at what they have to offer.

I feel we’re before the midpoint of our own ‘industrial revolution’; the Electronic Revolution.
Since the 50’s lots of advancements in computing and power generation has been accomplished, its now getting to the point where this steppingstone tech is more readily available for the normal citizen to purchase (not many but more than before).

However we rely on the rich to fund the new tech to be researched and optimized for corporate use before it can be mass produced for normal citizens.
best of luck to the early adopters but most normies will be stuck with the old tech for a while. that truck will be the first of many to come.

2 Likes

200,000 units are ordered… according to Tesla reps. I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it.

1 Like