Television recommendation

Samsung.
Mine took an absolute rainwater bath and it still functions perfectly today.

1 Like

I was trying to make a joke (a little stoned)

I would argue it needs more, my Q7FN can go up to around 1500nits and it still isn’t enough for proper HDR.
People that claim HDR looks great on their OLEDs are either lying or in denial (WRONG, this opinion is old), even my QLED can’t do it properly.

1 Like

1000 nits is the technical limit for HLG, and is the base for most mastered PQ but yeah more is generally better.

2 Likes

Depends how the OLED is set up. By default there is a brightness limiter which a lot of people either don’t know about or just don’t care to disable.
1000 nits is the de-facto standard during mastering so if set up properly 1000 is enough today.

Dolby Vision allows up to 10.000 nits though so there is a lot of room to grow (although that would probably quite literally burn up your Retinas).

Also HDR does in fact look great on OLEDs (as well as QLEDs I would guess, never saw any), noone is saying it is perfect though.

2 Likes

My mindset is wrong, I’m thinking entry level Oleds, without Dolby Vision.
Indeed, there’s much better gear on the market.

1 Like

I don’t know of any OLEDs that don’t have it? They are all using the same LG Panels anyway…
The difference between brands is the image processor. Brightness should be the same across the board (given the same production year of course).

Correction: I can find 20 without Dolby Vision… wat? Why? What even is the point? :rofl:
… also 39 without any HDR at all (lolk).

2 Likes

What about this one? comes with a sound bar for $650
I don’t know what they mean by “Crystal UHD”

They mean marketing speech lol.

That link somehow redirects me to a search page … ? Probably not available here so it just throws me out :confused:

1 Like

There are some in my market, some Panasonic models even

1 Like

that’s what I thought…so much puffing as judge judy would say

maybe my wish list will work

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/13D83X14WAETL?ref_=wl_share

I don’t think I am either lying or in denial. Heh.

I have two LG OLEDs now and love them both. The new one is a 2021 and is hooked up to an Nvidia 3080. HDMI 2.1 with 120 Hz 4K and HDR looks amazing.

And well. It also does television. Meh.

I am sure that more brightness is better but I don’t believe I am missing out.

2 Likes

Again, bad mindset of mine, i’m thinking older entry level models, think 2018 or so (when i chose QLED over OLED, due to my extremely naturally lit room)

1 Like

Did the link to my wishlist work? If I’m being annoying I understand

Honestly, my suggestion is to find a sound bar separately. The TV itself in that bundle is fine, but you’d probably toss the sound bar at some point and get another one.

This Vizio sound bar would be more than good enough:

Pairing it with this Hisense would be a fairly decent set-up:

1 Like

Room light makes a big difference. I use my screens in darker rooms and often turn the lights off.

1 Like

you guys are not going to believe this, but the delivery time for all the “namebrand” TVs I was looking at was way too long sooooo
These are the two I’m looking at now, and I need to order within 3 hours so what do you think?

there is no product on the RCA website matching this RCA TV so that makes me question the QLED claim

Just in case anyone was curious I ended up ordering a 55" Hisense 55H9G for less than $800, and some Edifier Bookshelf Speakers R1280DBs for ~$150; mostly because they should arrive by tomorrow. What a world we live in. Thank you all for your advice and knowledge; hopefully I can do the same someday for you.