Tek Mac Pro Upgrade!? 12 cores / 64 gb ram | Tek Syndicate

glad you didn't have to dish out all the pay checks to those sorry ass devs, coders. bastards. oh wait, youdid, got 30% in return.. and just baught jets... not give it up on development. Do any of you actually pay the pitiful 99 bucks to be in the dev circle.. BEST Money spent just to talk to devs! Make relationships. .. oh hell. You guys just don't get it.

I got a Mac Pro 1.1 for £10, Bought a PC 8800GT rev1.0 for £5 and flashed it in windows with 32bit efi, Bought 8 sticks of BIG Apple heatsinked 512mb for £1 + shipping, now Ive started putting the heatsinks on 8gb sticks from eBay which are £25 for 16gb, So far only 32gb of the 8's and the leftover 512's in there (so 34gb), I don't know if 64gb is possible/useable but I'm wiling to try

Modules need to be 2RX4

The best card I could use with a boot screen is a PC R9 280X flashed to mac (about £140) or I could just put a 970 in there but no boot screen but I don't know if windows will work or whatever

I'll be replacing the dual core xeons with quad x5355's @ £12 each (SLAEG for the lower power state) x5365's aren't that much better but a lot more expensive

pci-e is limited to 2.5gt/s in 1.1/2.1's

I've ordered a 1st gen HD7950, 7970/R9 280X takes far too much power and are too hot for my liking

I don't know if I want to put Yosemite or the other one on there.

I'm glad I didn't try to gut it out for a PC case, If I wanted to do that I'd buy a cheap G5.

officially yes...

El Capitan is supposed to be lighter but I'm not sure if Yosemite is better for my situation

edit: I put Yosemite on there, It's very easy

Now all I need to do is make an efi version of my HD7950 rom since it's not a standard rev 1 but a DD ghost edition with 6+8 pci-e power (ffs) and flash it, and then hope for the best

At the end of the video Wendell pointed out that apple likes to keep its ecosystem all closed door kinda policy in regards to apple pay. For me, I am running a nexus5x as my daily, I see that android pay has the same problems with regards to if I root my phone I wont be able to use android pay. So the thing to look out for is if google is trying to push for its own "closed" ecosystem.

Quite impressive what you can actually get for 2 grand.

But you have to know that the Macbook Pro is not designed to be the ultimate workhorse. It is designed to have a good balance of power and portability (includes battery runtime, I think 10 or 9 hours), so you have that going for the macbook. And it looks beautiful and has a very good build quality going for it.

If you are only looking for the best bang for the buck (performance wise) you shouldnt consider a Mac or anything new from Apple. So kind of a useless comparison if you think about it (as those are for different purposes and will be used differently).

Excellent video Wendell. I spent the next hour, after watching your video, researching college surplus sites to no avail. Any other ides for picking one of these bad boys up? I tried searching for refurbished ones on legitimate sites, but the sites are still requesting top dollar for them.

Thanks

I definitely enjoyed this video. I grew up on Mac's and my brother is still a fanatic (and a Linux fanatic as well).

That said I have drifted over to PC's (around 2000) because of work (finance). My last Apple was a MacBook with a Core 2 Duo.

I always have thought the upgraded MacPro's were cool. I know a few guys who use them with really expensive commercial graphics cards. That said, it seems like most people I know who run Mac OX run it as hackintoshes using a z77 gigabyte motherboard as the base. From what I hear the hardest part is getting a graphics card that will work.

Has anyone managed to find a Mac Pro 4,1 for cheap as Wendel suggested is possible in this video?

I am trying to build one of these for a friend of mine who could really use an upgrade for his music recording system, but can't afford a $3000 new Mac Pro. It seems like all the 4,1 and 5,1 models out there are priced at $800-$1800 still... this doesn't make it very affordable to go this route. Especially considering he could get a new iMac for that price that would, theoretically, maybe, be faster.

If anyone has one of these machines that they don't need anymore and would consider selling it for a reasonable price I would be very interested!

This

and this

That is a great site, and awesome resource. But the minimum price for a build is well over $1000.

Where are all these cheap, not previously upgraded Mac Pro 4,1 machines at?

they are mainly offline. If they were online, you would not get as good of a deal. Goodwill and your local community junk stores are also good places to look. But also check out government, university and corporate surplus. City/County school surplus also, though almost always they use stuff till the wheels fall off. Universities tend to throw anything that plugs in and is more than a few years old away I have found.

Thanks so much Wendell!

As usually, your advice is spot-on. I'll do my research and find all those type of locations I can!

Okay, hear me out on another potential idea.

I can get the 4,1 backplane boards for $100-$200, and a loaded dual CPU tray for ~$300-$600.

If I did this, does anyone know if the older 1,1 2,1 or 3,1 chassis would allow retrofitting to hold the 4,1 board?

This would be a pretty silly route, but seeing as I am not having luck yet at any salvage/surplus/liquidation stores in my town, this might be a practical way for me to go.