Tek Mac Pro Upgrade!? 12 cores / 64 gb ram | Tek Syndicate

Alextuku, the problem is that the UEFI in Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 systems is 32-bit. You can't run any OS X later than 10.7 (Lion) on them; 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and up require 64-bit UEFI. There are ways to emulate/run a 64-bit UEFI on those old systems, but I was never able to get them to work on a dual-quad Mac Pro 2,1; I finally gave up and bought my current 4,1.

Excellent video to put the prices in perspective.

I had a look at the portable side of things as well, just out of interest.

Macbook Pro 15" - £1999
* Core i7 2.5GHz quad-core, turbo to 3.7GHz
* 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
* 512GB SSD
* AMD M370X (2GB VRAM)
* 2880x1800

Scan 3XS Gaming System 17.3" - £2003.96 (inc P+P)
* Core i7 6700 quad-core, turbo to 4.0GHz Can be changed
* 32GB DDR4 2133MHz Can be changed
* 1TB SSHD Can be changed
* GTX 980 (not M)
* 1920x1080 G-Sync
* Win10 (or pay less for Linux)

Scan 3XS Workstation 15.6" - £2019.13 (inc P+P)
* Core i7 6700 quad-core, turbo to 4.0GHz Can be changed
* 32GB DDR4 2133MHz Can be changed
* 2x 512GB Samsung M.2 (2150 read, 1550 write) Can be changed
* 1TB mechanical
* Quadro M3000M (4GB VRAM)
* 1920x1080
* OS excluded

Obviously, those are just guidelines; you could decrease the RAM, go 4K, go for a different manufacturer, etc, etc but 2 grand for a laptop that has slower, older components is so ludicrous!

Hey wendell,

I have always though about doing this, but on an HP z600 workstation.
These cheap xeon machines are really looking appealing, especially since I can throw in a graphics card and upgrade the CPUs and call it a gaming rig for nearly a fraction of the cost.

I want to do this for a friend of mine, but the problem is, I do not know what GPU will best fit this computer.
R9 290's can be had for under $150, which is what I want, but I want to know if the bottleneck will be huge on this higher end card.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: The CPU's I have considered to upgrading to was the X5650/X5660 or the E5645, more leaning on the X5650 though.

Alot of the points about hardware are valid. But also take into acount that Apple HATES unstable drivers and any unstable haedware that goes with it. Hence, why Apple diid, does so well in certain application sets. Stability is a priority over the latest and greatest. Which is why they persist in thriving. Sorry Wendell.. but Apple released 1st gen Ivy Bridge machines months be for the normal PC circuit. Dumbed down a bit yes. for the sake of stability. since then you are correct. they are behind. I submit for multilpe reasons. Jobs Died, and a whole host of road maps he laid out. Like him or not. He reshaped an industry. Copied still. many still paying catchup, and hardware has not a damn thing to do with it. YOu get gains as an enthusist only if your core biz is producing capitol gains. Profit. money to spend on R&D. OR, cut back on profit to invest in any given companies future. Not a mystery as to why many tech companies are followin Apples lead. Not a mystery as to why Apple will wait and follow other companies in their dev pursuits. They've made GINORMOUS mistakes in the past..though experimenation other companies laughed at.. untill. The imac.
You are close to correct in Apples control and, damn it pisses me off too, overpriceing of hardware. But this company spends those gains on future development of tech more than any tech company on the freaking planet. So they need cash to do that.. hence. IS Mercedes any better than a Ford. No. BUt key tech going forward is... and that shit costs. Alot.
Riddle me this Wendell man..can any of us even concieve of the legal costs alone Apple, or Google, or Microsuck endures on an annual basis? IT's obscene to contemplate.
So now I project to you something you Linux people will all flame me and vomit. Apple-Linux is a thing. IT is now and progressing rapidly. one word. SWIFT. Oh, bitch because all the tool and such haven't be released yet, but since it's announcement Apple has been rapidly on pace to release the whole can of worms to Linux. Why, Tim Cook is Not Steve Jobs, or, spectulation, Steve knew he fuckedup with Linus. Steve Loved Linux. SO the Last WWDC announcment, SWIFT for LINUX. Tinfiol hat time. Was Something Steve Planned.. Apple doesn't do shit like that over night.. dare I say this move put Microsuck on a bigtime defense.
So why no huge upgrades with lockstep to intel... LOL, maybe cause all you PC lovers know the truth too. INTELL has no competition and has nerfed the roadmap. Wait a sec.. lead enginners on Thunderbolt you pc peeps are starting to pay attention to... oh..wait USB3.1 ony one other company devoted , ehem..two more engineers to... So.
Yay, Apple Sucks. and yeah they hate GPU manufactures that kneel to MS ways of the wild wild west, and you never know if your fucking game is going to work..so kiddies wait for the new drivers, wait for this or that. which, hehe, may break you other games. Yeah.. that's such a wonderful approach... Please

My Rant 60 is done for now. However, I reserve the right to flame Apple as well. along side all the other players ROG on yay

I for one would love to see more pro and enterprise type stuff like this, even with older hardware. I don't get to play with this kind of hardware that often (I work in a retail/PC repair shop), and when I do get to mess with it, it's a rare treat. Also, more Linux stuff. You guys are one of my favorite youtube channels and I loved your Linux videos.

If it is illegal to put OSX on PC hardware, why do they sell it on there site.

It just shows how stupid the majority of the iTard user base is when, everyone in the known world knows apple products are an ecosystem, and on the "superdrive webpage" it lists compatible products, and all the products listed are apple.

That's an upgrade disc for existing machines. You can't just drop that into a home built machine and install it.

i suspected, but i was confused because it didn't have a compatibility list. Beside Mac "just works" so i thought i could plug it into anything. Mehmehmehmehmeh.

So would something like this make for a good video editing machine?

Honestly it depends on the person you ask.

I would say the most valid reason I have heard of to date is that you can tailor your program for the hardware.

For me, I just like the UI better. I love windows, and 9 times out of 10, I HATE the way OSX works.

But I spend a lot of time staring at a screen. Its very fatiguing after a while to deal with windows. I am always having to focus and adjust my eyes between my text editor and a start menu.

Everything in OSX is big, clear, and really easy to identify.

IDK if its the same for everyone, but it is LITERALLY less visually fatiguing for me to use compared to windows.

However since I have been able to model gnome 3 after OSX AND got it to work a lot better, I prefer linux over OSX.

Great video.
This is exaly very interesting.
I have seen a cheap older Mac pro at a local shop.
I might think about getting into it.

@wendell keep making informative videos like this, we don't find them boring. And we like the straight forward way that you explain things.

3 Likes

Dude I want the stuff you're on, lol.

Hey @wendell

Great video. I used to be mac only, switched to PC and love a lot about it but not the biggest fan of the workflow (spotlight/alfred are great; better compose key functionality on mac for faster foreign character typing since I switch from English to French constantly and use a lot of em dashes; coreaudio is super solid for music production). For this reason, I've been considering cherrypicking parts to make a hackintosh music and video production/windows 10 gaming dual boot. If for instance, I did something like what you've done in this video, and ran windows as well with BootCamp, what kind of gaming support could I expect? 1080p - 1440 is my goal. I don't really care about 4k at present.

1 Like

Watching this video, made me decide to throw in a hard drive and boot up mac OSX on my hackintosh build from 2011ish, its my main build as well, and still works great but it doesnt hurt to revisit OSX after a long time.

Should have been wearing the "Stop buying Apple products" T-Shirt to make everyone's head explode from the internal conflict.

What a different world it would be if Apple had made their system open to OEM builders like MS did with Windows. I know they briefly experimented with the idea while Steve Jobs was away working on his Next cube but then shut it down upon his return I believe.

Seriously, don't just focus on the slower hex cores like the X5650, keep an eye out for cheap quads at higher clock-speeds.

The benchmarks here are not an entirely far comparison (64 bit Linux will always score higher than 32 bit Windows, but you get the idea)

@wendell I can only find 1,1's in my local area. Would you recommend buying a cheapo 1,1 and doing it up for video editing?

wendell, out of curiosity, you said that you have to work with diffrent OSs, I have heard that there is a server version of OSX, how does that work?

The Tek are more about.. being pissed off that Apple seemingly rips us off with late hardware.. I see no mention that evey Freaking laptop out ther has done their best to copy a Mac Pro. And have now done a decent job in many respects.. except one. reasonable expectation of performance. Which no Win sites want to compare... oh and.. Support. yeah, they'll finger fuck you with fifty peeps or some forum which is a windows forum. I'll do ten times more content editing than these Tek derps wiil on windows for only one reason. Adobe. Mercury enigine is a fucking Joke! {Love affair w/ Nvid/Abode] better yet.. it's a bald face lie. and.. as time will prove, as it's doing. I won't have to defend myself. which is why Apple supports open compute.. shocking. AMD does too. I'll by the by and smile a bit latter.