TeckMonster's ideal truck build (starting with a 4 door S10)

Why:

I want a fun to drive small truck that can haul people, trailers, and butt, though this didn't exist to the level I wanted, so I decided to build it myself.

Plans:

• :white_check_mark: Manual swap
  • :white_check_mark: Oldsmobile Bravada Gauge cluster swap (120 mph max instead of 100)
  • :white_check_mark: Throttle body mod (cut part of the throttle body’s butterfly blade off)
  • 5.3L LS swap (I have the engine)
  • LSD (no, not the drug. Limited slip differential)
  • RGB gauge cluster (yes this will happen)
  • Left front and rear doors (they were damaged before I bought it)
  • Rear airbags (suspension too soft for any kind of hauling)
  • Turbo (on 5.3)
  • Electric drivetrain install along side the 5.3 (may do instead of turbo)
  • New wheels (probably from a Corvette, Camaro, or maybe another S10)

:white_check_mark: done
:ballot_box_with_check: in progress

So far:

I started this build by picking up a 2002 S10 4 door specifically for this project, it’s a very small truck that can haul 5 people fairly comfortably, and is rated to tow 5,500lbs, which should be enough to haul my other projects around. The bed is extremely small, but so far it has served me very well.

I pretty much immediately started the manual swap using parts from my Blazer ZR2 (it had a blown engine).

After the manual trans was in I drove it around with it throwing codes related “my transmission… it’s gone, what happened to my transmission!?”. About 6 months of that and I finally got around to getting the ECU re-flashed to manual.

Now the truck is having a problem and I can’t tell if it’s a distributor or engine problem, so I’m just going to bump up the 5.3 swap, and just not worry about that problem.

S10 4 door manual swap:

Long section so I've made it expandable.

I pulled both the S10 and Blazer into my fathers garage.

Then I removed the all the various bits that need it come out in order to drop the trans, and then I dropped that trans.

I then started ripping the interior apart.

And now to start modifying the body to accept the manual bits. I started with cutting out the clutch master cylinder hole which was conveniently very clearly visible.

Then I painted the hole to prevent rust, and installed the master cylinder.

After that I installed the firewall mat, and peddles.

I then made a trans tunnel hole template using the Blazer’s trans tunnel and studs for the seats and center console.

Placed the template in the S10.

Drilled 4 holes in the corners and the cut the hole out.

And more rust prevention.

Now the carpet gets cleaned and put back in, then I cut a hole in it as well.

Dash goes back in (also cleaned), along with the steering column from the Blazer (no auto gear selector).

Swapped the S10’s key barrel into the Blazer’s steering column so I still have one key to rule all the key holes.

Installed the Blazer’s clutch, and transmission.

And trans install done.

Interior done as well.

Gauge cluster swap:

Before

After

Videos:

My bed holds water, and after sharing this information I was told to fill her up, so…
[I also had a camera pointed out the front for the brake check, but I failed at actually capturing anything]

Hill climb with the family (apparently I’m a dirt ball). I should have hit that in 4x4 low, I didn’t realize how tall 1st gear was (first hill climb in that truck).

Photos:

All pictures were taken after the manual swap, except for this very first one.

First view of the soft rear suspension. Also notice all that room in that parking spot. Haha

More

The truck was very nice to tow all these cars with. I was super pleased with the experience. That rear suspension though. Lol

9 Likes

Did you ever fix that suspension?

PHAHAHAHA i was gonna reply to the OP until I felt the need to interject… your fricken profile picture.

Okay anyways back to seriousness… @TeckMonster does that bed really hold water that well? or are you gonna outfit some sort of drain mechanism?

2 Likes

Referring to the soft suspension? If so then not yet. The suspension on the truck is good it’s just soft so it rides like a car when it’s empty, which is nice, but as soon as you load it up with anything it starts sagging something fears.

You might be thinking about my Jimmy if you’re referring to the wheel that was falling off, and if that’s the case not yet. If I’m going to take it on the gambler 500 I need to get on it though.

Yes the bed legit holds water, and it’ll hold it for a few days just from rain, I’d bet bank that there’s water in it right now. I don’t have any place for a drain since the bed should be protected by the proper Rhino Lining.

So the reason it holds water so well is a previous owner installed weather stripping all the way around the bed. I assume they had a shell on the bed.

1 Like

Was referring to this.

You’re doing that!? Please vlog it or something like that.

Or they wanted a portable swimming pool.

1 Like

So cut gaps in the weather stripping at the rear and the front of the bed… ? Not a good thing to hold water when it turns to ice in our climate

I can give it a try.

Dang it, I can’t like your edit, sooo :heart:

Oops I meant weather striping around the tailgate. The Rhino Lining sealed all the other gaps up. I generally just leave the tailgate down, and the bed will get replaced at some point thanks to all the damage on it.

I think it’s fun to tell people about it holding water. It makes for great conversation.

1 Like

thats impressive