Sysadmin Mega Thread

Goodbye uptime :cry:

5 Likes

i use Ubiquiti, it’s expensive, not as flexible, and you can’t alwayse find the stuff you need ( damn i want a 12 port Poe with 10GB uplink ! ). It’s quiet but it run hot, and if you don’t have a dedicated backuped 12/24v powersource, you don’t have power backup

That aside it’s easy enough to setup
i don’t know about cisco switch, we use juniper at work. but those aren’t the best either.

Compared to what? IIRC, Merakis are a whole order of magnitude more expensive (that might even be an understatement).

I’ll pour one out for that server tonight.

4 Likes

We have a few Meraki switches at work, they are simple enough to configure. Nothing really special about them that I can think of other than you can edit the config when they’re offline and they’ll pull the new version when they come back online.

Lol thanks that was my pfSense router.

I moved the server rack into a different closet further away today.

Ah, that’d do it.

@wendell what is the pam plugin that checks against the compromised passwords?

This is the slight diy option but Pam example is a good starting point. https://github.com/CboeSecurity/password_pwncheck

3 Likes

TIL Apple still maintains CUPS.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=CUPS-2.3.1-Released

Haha! Server migration completed last night, took way longer than I wanted. Spent a crap ton of time troubleshooting because I forgot to change \ to a “/” in a config file.

1 Like

I ran into this today, which is weird because I overlap smart tests and scrubs all the time.

To me, and maybe i’m wrong, Ubiquity Unifi line of product aren’t PRO gear on the same level than Cisco or Juniper for example (talking about switch/router). They are more small to medium company networking, a market-share dominated (in my country at least) by “cheap” Netgear and TPLink equipment. In this market, and for mostly the same final capacity (L2/L3 switch) they are on the expensive end.

When the old confluence server had 4CPU cores, 8 at one point and the stupid application only ever used one core.

Depends on the equipment in question, and if you are seeing problems.
I generally don’t turn things on if I don’t need them.

Me: “Wow, Elasticsearch on Docker is a frickin’ joke.”

Everyone: “Maybe you just don’t know how to do Docker.”

Me: Blocks Everyone

Despite going from major version to the next major version being an issue, self-hosting/persistent Elasticsearch is the way to go lol :wink: :yay:

2 Likes

Those are the only words that matter to me right now.

Docker has its uses, but I feel like so many places are trying to hamstring it in when they shouldn’t.

My workplace is actually one of teh few places I wish used docker, it would actually simplify a lot of headache.

2 Likes

Yeah, very much agreed.

2 Likes

I don’t have a lot of experience deploying containers in a serious way, but I would tend to keep essential data-centric services off of them.

Print isn’t a dead media yet. :wink: