Sysadmin Mega Thread

New toy

1 Like

FWIW, Iā€™ve been happy with Remmina for remote management.

2 Likes

Ive been using remmina for RDP connections from fedora for about a year now.

2 Likes

Also works with built-in macOS VNC which a lot of options donā€™t (performance is kind of crap though).

Has anyone used keycloak (it is the upstream of RHEL SSO)?

o>o oh, VNC

hooray context

1 Like

Ha, yes. My bad

Serious discussion(s);
1.) What are the drawbacks to automation?
2.) What are the drawbacks to moving things to the cloud?

Hereā€™s my crack at answering.

1.) One drawback I can see about automation would be that if you automate everything and someone comes in to replace you that didnā€™t construct the automation, fixing it when it breaks could be a major issue.

2.) One drawback to moving things to the cloud was stated by ESR ā€“ if the cloud provider no longer wants to do business with you, they own the infrastructure and could force you out. The cloud is just mainframes other people own anyway. I also know about the 80/20 rule, and although delineated by the big fish, the little fish do it and donā€™t tell their customers.

To me :

It take longer to set up and manage for a one shoot, you have to way the benefit and how much to automate. And you have the risk to break everything at once if you donā€™t implement safety check.

When it break on the cloud provider side (like twice this years with GCP, and I was on call both time grumble) there is NOTHING you can do.
Having your infra mean you know your backup plan and how to pull the service back from the death with all the satanic ritual that it takeā€¦
To me, no mater what, donā€™t stick to a single cloud provider, have a DRP on another platform

1 Like

On top of the points already rasied:

1. it can lead to issues if things are just homogenized that shouldnā€™t be. Not everything needs (or even wants) snapshot backups, thank you very much.
  2. if you donā€™t need the scaling the cloud offers itā€™s often more expensive than just buying servers.
    Thereā€™s also the issue that you canā€™t just (legally) put everything in the cloud due to privacy and data protection laws, or even simply due to internal or contractual rules.

Youā€™re at their mercy.

It costs 3-5x what it would to buy the hardware and colo it yourself.

It means youā€™re learning a bunch of new tools per cloud provider.

Once you automate your job, we donā€™t need you.

Then 6 months after youā€™re fired and replaced by a helpdesk, AWS changes their API with zero notice and everything breaks.

5 Likes

In my prior job, I used to automate my own tasks and not tell anyoneā€¦ Manager thought I was a workhorse, and I ended up with a lot of free time.

6 Likes

If your company doesnā€™t have itā€™s head up itā€™s ass, when you automate your job, theyā€™ll give you a raise and tell you to automate everyone elseā€™s job and then fire everyone but you.

That said, a head not up an ass is probably in the minority.

5 Likes

This is why you automate and donā€™t tell anyone about it.

edit:

mostly kidding, but if working for a head up ass company as per aboveā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got a whole private git repo full of things I totally didnā€™t automate.

4 Likes

This is urban legend, yeah? Iā€™ve had two jobs where automation was king and expected, and they seemed to need us more than ever.

The list of infrastructure/I.T. tasks is endless.

Hmmā€¦ Anyone experienced with this?

I thought this was related to AT&T. But now Iā€™m on Digital Ocean and the exact same thing is happening.

https://admindev.tech

I canā€™t find anything in any log: Nginx, dmesg, syslog, messagesā€¦

I have no idea what this is. The only thing common is Nginx. This has happened across different applications (Go and Node), different distros (CentOS and Ubuntu), and different providers (my KVM and Digital Ocean).

it worked hereā€¦ is it okay there?

What browser?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1267074
Seems to be maybe profile issue