Sysadmin Mega Thread

@SgtAwesomesauce have you looked at tlog for recording terminal sessions? I stumbled on it because it’s has a cockpit plugin, but it looks like it might be relevant to your session auditing adventures. It has some built-in interface for working with elastic.

The cockpit plugin plays back the terminal session in realtime which is pretty nuts.

1 Like

I haven’t, but it’s an interesting procedure. Not sure if I trust it though. Requires trusting the server you’re connecting to.

Currently, selinux is fighting with it over its /var/run folder which I don’t feel like dealing with. Maybe I’ll check it out in a few months.

1 Like
setenforce 0

What could go wrong?

2 Likes
             if (WEXITSTATUS(status) == 0) {
                 /* 0 - reboot */
                 /* TODO: Implementing reboot is a little more complicated. */
                 VIR_INFO("Guest %s rebooted; destroying domain.",
                          vm->def->name);
                 virBhyveProcessStop(mon->driver, vm,
                                     VIR_DOMAIN_SHUTOFF_SHUTDOWN);

:point_up_2: there’s the problem

1 Like

Kubernetes called to say everything is fine.

Oh and to disable swap.

1 Like

I feel like my ticket system project is really starting to come together.

Right now its still pretty wire-frame-y but I got those butterflies now that thinks are starting to lock into place.

Light Theme

Dark Theme

Mobile Light (w/ Menu Open)

Mobile Dark

3 Likes

Looks like google keep and FreeNAS had a baby.

2 Likes

Let’s hope the UI is more reliable than FreeNAS

2 Likes

Its been pretty good in chrome recently. Opened it in safari on a clients computer the other day and it was unusable though (but who cares).

It’s not the ui breaking, it’s the ui -> backend that doesn’t seem to always work.

It’s also fairly clunky and not designed with UX in mind, for a good portion of it.

But what do you expect when you put a bunch of BSD geeks in a room and say make a web interface? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh it’s both. I’ve seen some things…

1 Like

That’s true, but I can understand the UI breaking once in a while, Angular is a bad design decision.

2 of my big issues are getting fixed, so I can’t complain. If you open a reasonable ticket and remain communicative, it’s usually productive unless you’re asking for something outside of the vision (like aux params for rclone).

1 Like

That’s good to know. I don’t use freenas anymore, so I can’t say how it’s been in the last few months tho lol

On a related note, deduping Time Machine backups is surprisingly useless. I’m somehow only saving 34GB across 5 TM backups… taking up less than a gig of memory though, so I guess I’ll leave it. Will eventually be about 2 dozen stations using it.

1 Like

Time Machine backups are already deduped.

Within one station’s TM maybe, but not across multiple computers. Each one has its own sparse disk. I wonder if the way the sparse disk stores the data makes it not dedupe well since zfs just sees it as one file.

Compresses pretty well at about 1.5.

Oh, probably.

1 Like

so reporting and updating has been broken ever since I removed the GPU from my freenas box, I put in the default gateway and dns and now both are working again, took a minute for it realize I changed stuff, logged me out of the webgui, wouldn’t log back in, refreshed page boom EVERYTHING works

3 Likes