Sysadmin Mega Thread

Please say you got it on the cheap?!

1 Like

80 bucks. I am not sure if the seller knew of the problem or just one of those buying electronics used problems that can and do happen.

Anyone here use Ceph much? I am trying to design a cluster and was reading up on the docs, but one thing caught my eye.

I would love to have a separate drive for the journal and WAL file, but it appears that the file system is expecting a caching device per OSD (per disk) instead of per machine. This isnā€™t so much an issue, except I donā€™t want to have to have one caching device for each of the 8 hard drives in each of my servers.

Am I just reading this wrong? Is there a better way?

Messed with it a bit, good all in one distro for that.

1 Like

When I was working with ceph, we didnā€™t use caching. It just increased latency and complexity.

Whatā€™s the use case where you think caching would benefit you?

Random VMā€™s disk images. Nothing in particular, but it will be a mixed bag of web servers, databases, game servers, stuff like that. I donā€™t need super high performance, just ā€œok-ishā€ performance.

I plan on using spinning rust (10k SAS drives) with the array, and was hoping to use SSDsā€™ as a write cache to help mitigate the latency of the distributed writes.

I donā€™t really know if I need it though. This is my first time working with Ceph so I donā€™t quite know what to expect.

Running into an issue were if my FreeNAS and Plex boxes restart at the same time I need to run a quick mount -a to get the media share mounted. Anyone know of an easy method of getting a script to run x seconds after reboot and run the mount command on Ubuntu 20.04?

Crontab

1 Like

Is there a method of using crontab to run X time after reboot, rather than at X time on Y day?

EDIT: Ah, so @reboot is just uncommon. I swear Iā€™ve looked for this before :sweat: lol

I would recommend creating a systemd override file to tell the Plex service to wait for the data mounts to complete before starting.

1 Like

I would see if you can get a systemd automount to work for you. Then it wonā€™t mount until something attempts to use it. It will also block whatever is attempting to use it until the mount completes, or times out. I find it super useful.

You can read man systemd.mount and look in the FSTAB section for mount arguments.

Here are a couple of automount lines I use on my Fedora server:

LABEL=Backup                              /mnt/backup-2                   ext4    defaults,noatime,nodiratime,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=999h,x-systemd.idle-timeout=5m,nofail 0 2
/home/zlynx-dropbox-ext4.img              /home/zlynx/Dropbox             ext4    defaults,noatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.mount-timeout=6m 0 0

I made these automount because if thereā€™s a sudden power failure or crash, these devices need to fsck before mounting. Because of all the other disk activity during boot my Dropbox loopback mount was actually timing out while mounting. After making it automount it doesnā€™t take effect until something starts using it, long after boot finishes.

The backup mount is similar. There is no point in mounting the backup drive unless it is in use.

2 Likes

100 iops per disk divided by replicas.

You donā€™t need it technically. I would just hold off on that. I think youā€™ll find that ceph isnā€™t really great for your use case, after a couple months. Unless the whole point is to learn ceph for prod use later.

2 Likes

any one care to help me figure out why iā€™m only getting 11 mega BYTEs a second on a new SMB / server setup that was maxing out my 1g network before?

In a couple of hours Iā€™ll be 24ā€¦
I hate it so much, not because I ā€˜feel oldā€™, but because Iā€™m not a young kid anymore.
I feel like the only thing I had for myself was to know that much, at my age. That was somehow who I wasā€¦ Now that my work donā€™t give me time to learn about very low level, or any highly specialized field, ā€œwho I amā€ is becoming less and less notable.

Now I need something else to be proud about, and no idea where to start looking :frowning:

Maybe getting into freelance, creating infrastructure that I can be proud of for clients, one after the other ā€¦

Looking at rebuilding my current home server setup from scratch. Does anyone know of a good self hosted LDAP/SSO solution? Looking to have the root of the site go to a login page, then use a service like Nextcloud or Heimdall or similar to give links to services allowed to people.
A single sign on style option for the site and services as a whole would be ideal. Willing to learn anything it takes.

is the current plan Iā€™m leaning towards

Freeipa?

2 Likes

Will give it a look over, seems good so far. Cheers

1 Like

Or Samba AD (or both of youā€™re a masochist).

Also what flowchart software are you using there @MrBannaner ? Iā€™ve been trying a few but havenā€™t found a definite favorite yet.

Late 20s were the most fun years for me. Just think up things and go do them while you have few responsibilities.

1 Like

I use Samba AD at homeā€¦ for one [sometimes] MS Windows computer.
Am I a masochist? Maybe. But now, I know how to do this.

1 Like